New KED??

jvwain

Firstly a correction....and Ladies:

You if you ask me personally I believe the OSS is superior, YES, just a matter of folks modifying the previous technology and using common sense to improve the initial idea. Oh and I forgot, the old chin strap is modified as well, splitting the strap (or slitting) it so that one applies it over the nose (bridge and maxilla) therefore improved stability. trimming the extra bits makes it a bit easier to get into those really tight spots.

Now answer me this riddle? why are all those "portly gents" stuffed into those expensive sport-cars and feel its important to crash test them?

On to true terrifying work, that being a high school teacher....do you carry mace, an electric cattle prod, or use excessive medication....lmao.

cheers

squint

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was once on the scene,and the patient a woman in her thirties was out of the car walking around, only c/o a sore neck.

Crew did the whole nine yards on her, x-rays in emerg revealed a c-spine fracture.

It is never a waste of time or equipment to treat your patient suspecting the worse. Hell of a lot of less writing to do, no court case, no inquest.

I rest my case.

rather be safe than sorry. :wink:

But this still doesn't answer the question I asked. So you would put the person in the KED while they are standing, then strap them to the long board? If so why would you?? Also if you do this wouldn't it be the same as taking a short spine board putting it on the patient then putting them on the long board??

Why wouldn't you just do a standing take down. As stated with other people, the KED was used to extricate stable patients out of cars. Why would you use the KED on a patient that is out and walking around the scene.

I believe in the covering your ass, but shouldn't one also tie that in with the Mnemonic "KISS" (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Duh... I agree KED is not designed or provides any support for spinal immobilization for standing patients .. thus the KED stands for Kendricks Extrication Device (KED) .. if they are standing, obviously they are extricated. It is VERY acceptable to place a standing upright patient on a LSB, and in fact BTLS and PHTLS has a skill station on it.

R/r 911

Firstly a correction....and Ladies:

You if you ask me personally I believe the OSS is superior, YES, just a matter of folks modifying the previous technology and using common sense to improve the initial idea. Oh and I forgot, the old chin strap is modified as well, splitting the strap (or slitting) it so that one applies it over the nose (bridge and maxilla) therefore improved stability. trimming the extra bits makes it a bit easier to get into those really tight spots.

Now answer me this riddle? why are all those "portly gents" stuffed into those expensive sport-cars and feel its important to crash test them?

On to true terrifying work, that being a high school teacher....do you carry mace, an electric cattle prod, or use excessive medication....lmao.

cheers

squint

The head straps seem to be a negative point to everybody. We threw them out right from the start, made our own straps and then got them approved by the FIA. Problem is that around here, nobody seems to know the OSS: I had never heard of it until I saw that website of the Australian GP. Odd, he?

Those 'portly gents' you are talking about are everything but portly. That's the luck we've got! They usually weigh no more than 60 - 70 kilos max (130 - 150 pounds?) But their cars are just so tiny... About those crash tests: well, they don't seem to think they will ever crash, or else the FIA wouldn't have so much problems getting them to follow the rules concerning safety (how their cockpits should be designed for us to get them out safely after a crash for example, which straps should be easily accessible,...). We're not very loved at the circuit either. When they see us coming in the paddock or pits, they usually start running. LOL :lol:

About being a high school teacher: Well, I guess our situation is not yet as bad as with you in the USA, no metal detectors yet, some teachers get extra insurance though... But, we are slowly getting there. Had a 13 y/o pupil in school this year who stabbed a fellow pupil in class. Luckily his victim defended himself and only injured his hand... But nevertheless: :? Needless to say the boy got expelled.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.