New KED??

jvwain

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jvwain,

The new KODE that you asked about before your thread got hijacked looks like it will be much easier to get into place.

It has a panel under the upper strap that usually goes around the chest. The middle and bottom straps are on one panel that acts independently of the upper one. This simple change, by itself, should make the device work better for patients with a short torso. It should also help with the patient that you do not want to restrict respiratory expansion.

Without having one in front of me, I can't really comment on how much better it is to use, but, hey everyone wants a new toy! :P

• 2 weeks later...
jvwain,

The new KODE that you asked about before your thread got hijacked looks like it will be much easier to get into place.

It has a panel under the upper strap that usually goes around the chest. The middle and bottom straps are on one panel that acts independently of the upper one. This simple change, by itself, should make the device work better for patients with a short torso. It should also help with the patient that you do not want to restrict respiratory expansion.

Without having one in front of me, I can't really comment on how much better it is to use, but, hey everyone wants a new toy! :D

thanks for the constructive answer i think that's like one decent response in two pages. maybe i'll convince my equipment supervisor to get one so i can play with it, we like new toys.

• 10 months later...

000gj0.jpg

Hi, I'm new and the topic is old, so please have some patience and let me explain. :wink:

My name is Leen and I'm Belgian. I am a member of the Belgian Medical Extrication Team and we work for the circuit of Spa-Francorchamps. In accordance to FIA protocol, we use the KED to extricate race-car drivers after heavy shunts (given their condition is stable of course) or if possible, we use the extractable seat for some Formula cars (F1 and World Series 3.5).

I was actually hoping to find some information on the KODE II, which is the new type KED you are talking about. If the link works: it's the right one, the left one is a KODE I, which in essence is the same as the old KED if you ask me.

I've been looking all over the Internet and managed to find some information. It appears that the KODE II has improved on 9 levels:

1 the white female buckles to receive the leg straps are placed lower, which should make it easier to access them in confined spaces. (like a Lamborghini :lol: )

2 the leg straps are placed closer together.

3 the long chest straps are placed on the left side, so they don't get tangled up in the car somewhere whilst putting the KED in position.

4 there are now two separate panels for the chest straps, making the KED more adaptable to different types of patients + easier management in case of respiratory problems for example.

5 the flaps to secure the head are longer.

6 all straps are coated + 7 the KED is easier to keep clean.

8 the KODE II comes with extra straps (the extra buckles someone mentioned) to secure shoulders in place. --> AND HERE IS MY FIRST QUESTION: HOW DO THEY WORK? They said something about 'deacceleration' on one site and I don't have a clue what that has to do with it...

9 there are now also 'take down straps' --> SECOND QUESTION: ANOTHER THING THAT PUZZLES ME.

So: my main question: Since this is an old post: Has somebody by now bought this 'new toy'? What is your experience? Is it easier in use? I realize that road-side treatment is not the same as circuit conditions, but everything is welcome, as I have not yet heard of anyone using it in Europe (at a track or otherwise).

Sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes: I speak Dutch, so :D

I'm confused now!! Can anyone tell me why if your patient is already out of the vehicle and walking around, why you would put the KODE 2 device on?? Why don't you just do the standing take down without the KODE 2 on. You are going to do the take down anyways. It just seems to me that your adding more time and using extra equipment when not needed

was once on the scene,and the patient a woman in her thirties was out of the car walking around, only c/o a sore neck.

Crew did the whole nine yards on her, x-rays in emerg revealed a c-spine fracture.

It is never a waste of time or equipment to treat your patient suspecting the worse. Hell of a lot of less writing to do, no court case, no inquest.

I rest my case.

rather be safe than sorry. :wink:

I am a 19 yr BLS veteran in PA. I was always taught the short baord and or KED was to be used to extricvate the Pt from the auto. Once on the long board the Pt's legs werew released from the straps straightened and sPt is then secured to he log baord with the KED remaining in place aside from the above mentioned leg straps. When BTLS came out and was the latest Rage Rapid extrication was introduced. The most common proctice is not the correct (Myself included) If a Pt is not critical or in eminent danger the protocol here is Ked to extricate then Long board to immobilize.

Gents;

I read these comments in passing, personally a bit aghast at the negative comments er The KED is not useless?? must disagree it is a very important part of kit on any rig anywhere.

I reflect back to our friend bandaidpatrol and his comments on the genesis of spinal immobilization from the short back board made in the shop from a piece of 3/4 inch plywood, I don't have a study to quote but I know that the KED really made a difference in many that I have transported to be certain.

But I have always wondered how we stabilized with an "Z" shaped piece of open cell foam, and despite all our training we felt compelled to strap a (chin) strap, to assure that a patient (while on their backs) would have great difficulty puking/ hurl/ toss lunch? Besides the fact that the mandible is a movable joint? huh?

Fortunately a NEW WAY... a lighter, a firm pad and a better way to secure the head... the OSS Oregon Spinal Splint from Skedco. I was so impressed I bought one, have used it in confined spaces, back-country when the chopper is way too small to "stokes basket" and in SAR cause its way lighter packing the SKED system about in the bush, all in all a better way.

just my 2 pesos, er drachmas, or Krugerrands.

So let me get this straight: you are saying you find the Skedco OSS is better than the regular KED? :-s Or were you just pointing out the advantages of KED / OSS versus other methods?

I read somewhere that the Australian extrication teams working on GP weekend use the OSS as well. In the end, it seems very similar to the KED: only the criss-crossed straps are different, but we see those in extractable seats too (for example: F1 or Renault World Series 3.5). Or are there other differences I missed?

As to why so many here think the KED is useless: I don't understand!! We work in teams of 6 (5 + doctor) and we couldn't do our jobs if it weren't for the KED... :shock: We extricate drivers from sitting position in the car, directly coming out, face up, to a lying down position. So no pivoting legs outwards and then sliding backboard underneath as I read is done with regular cars. Or am I wrong and do you use other methods? We can simply not do this because the cage of the car is in the way (GT cars) or even better: you are talking formula cars and everything is in your way ( :lol: How some of these guys squeeze into their cars: it's a mystery to me). So I can not think of any other device that would make it possible for us to extricate a driver safely, without the risk of aggravating existing injuries...

Of course, I understand you don't always have 5 people at hand to get a PT out of his car + those 5 have to be trained at doing so, because it does require some coordinated moves from all of them to get a PT out correctly (read: straight!). We practice once every month for about 2 hours, both on regular cars and formula cars (at least 10 extractions per session). Before major events, we increase up to 2 practice sessions a week. Our KED has probably been used 500 times at least... :D When you know how to work it, it becomes really easy, but I do understand you guys have so much equipment and so many techniques to get to know, that in the end it becomes too much. However, I find it a pity that 'regulations' require you to carry it (in many places anyway), but nobody seems to wonder whether the people in the field are also explained how to use it... #-o With a few tips / pointers and a demonstration, you might actually start to like the thing... :wink:

+ a tip: try playing the victim once and feel the difference between techniques for yourself. I think that is part of the job as well: knowing what your PT is going through. On top of that it is the best way to compare to other devices / methods...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.