Grammer Burnout

So let me get this straight. Me being Afrikaans, or the next person being Hindi, Russian whatever that has difficulty in using grammar properly makes me unprofessional and an idiot?

I personally take offence to the stance and claims in the above posts. No-one has the right to judge me or anyone else for that matter on their professionalism based on the mistakes they make here. If anyone wants to be so near sighted and childish as to base their professional opinion of someone else's professionalism on spelling and grammar, shame on you. I still fail to see how someone not being able to spell a word or use the correct grammar (which still remains to explain which spelling or grammar is being referred to, US, UK, Aus, SA English??) has anything to do whatsoever with the persons ability to do what he or she has been trained to do, alleviate pain and suffering.

I agree. I am not an English professor, and most likely no one else here is either. We ALL make mistakes, big deal! This is a discussion forum, not a legal document. Although it annoys me when people use improper English/grammar, that is quite blatantly WRONG (ie using your instead of you're or there and their), mistakes will be made.

It IS very childish to bash on someone for not being perfect in their SECOND language. You should be grateful and HELPFUL, to your fellow provider. Especially someone with a wealth of knowledge who can teach many of us here a few things. Bashing on them over crap like that only shows how immature and conceited you can be. Not to mention discouraging people from replying to your posts just out of spite for you being dbags.

Furthermore, I think his spelling and grammar is pretty darn good for English being his second language! Grow up people!

• Like 1

I agree with SA-Medic.

Also, even the spell check/grammar programs can get it wrong. I was writing about a type two ambulance, and the program insisted that I meant two ambulances. Note that here, I used the spelled out number, not the digit, as the program started telling me to err again as already described.

I don't mean simple mistakes, like the ones that I'm sure are scattered through my post now, but flat out barely legible posts.

I thought the implication here was clear, but allow me to expand upon this. You are communicating in English, in written form, the onus is on you the communicator to do so clearly as that written communication is the only interaction the receiver will have with you. If your post is gibberish and takes significant effort to make any sense of, who's fault is that?

I am not talking about less then perfect sentence structure, or impeccable spelling. I am referring to, as has already been mentioned, "text talk" and just plain laziness.

I am one of the guilty parties with regards to spelling, grammar and sentence structure.

I'd disagree with that. I have no issue understanding what you're saying.

What I would like to state though, is that this site has become more and more international. Not everyone in the freaking world speaks "American English" in fact, not everyone speaks English in their daily lives.

That's correct. I for one speak and write in Canadian English. I spell things with an extra "u," spell centre, no center and use words that may be unfamiliar to speakers of other english dialects.

How you, as a professional, feel you are qualified to judge someone an idiot based on their English proficiency and therefore judge them on a professional basis even though you personally do not know them is beyond even my "idiotic" grasp.

Once again, perhaps the target or my ire wasn't clear. My issue with grammar reached it's head with the double whammy of "what id a considered a good driving record" and "exoffender." Looking back on those threads, maybe I don't have a clear grasp on my on issue. Grammar and spelling is only part of the problem. The other part of the problem is that this atrocious grammar is usually found in threads where the membership end up having to coax comprehension out of the OP. If one cannot communicate intelligently, why should I assume a level of intelligence, professionalism or attention to detail when there is none of that present?

As for AK's msg on the new shorthand, agreed 100% with you dude. It seriously gets my back up, I do not have the time or energy to even try and decipher what the person is trying to say.

Once again, this is actually what I was driving at, not nitpicking.

I'm with you all the way when it comes to those who speak the English language as their native tongue, but, for those who are trying to communicate with their counterparts and don't have the English skills we were raised with, I have to cut them some slack. Over the years I've chatted with many who have a poorly constructed post only because they are not all that familiar with the language written in these forums because these are not just American forums, but world wide. Isn't that the whole purpose of websites like this? To be able to simplify communication with our counterparts across the globe? To dismiss these people out of hand as being idiots is nearsighted at best.

Just last summer I gave a tour of my EMS service to a medic from Hungary who didn't speak a word of English, but when the translator with us was unable to interpret the phrase "subarachnoid Hemorrhage" the medic knew exactly what I meant. From that point on I continued to use as much Latin as I could so I wouldn't have to dumb it down into words our interpreter could translate.

Yet another context to consider is those who have a different regional dialect or regional spelling differences than some others. For example, Those from the U.S.A. put "ize" at the ends of words such as victimize or realize. Those in the British commonwealth use 'ise" as in realise and victimise. I've even had people call me an idiot for that very reason because in their arrogance they assume that everyone should communicate just like them.

Edit: Nice post SA-Medic, guess I'm a slower typer than you. :)

I feel I addressed this above for the most part. Quoted for aknowledgement. SA_Medic, I didn't quote your second post. I hope I addressed your issues and clarified my own stance. If I have still managed to offend you, I am sorry for that and would be happy to further clarify my position. My basic frustration and position on dismal communication has not, at its core, changed.

There is a difference between typing anonymously on a forum, and typing something to be published.

If SoMeOnE ChOoSeS To TyPe LiKe DiS, DaTs DeR pRoBlEm.

If some1 chooses 2 type like this who cares.

You can think they're an idiot for their spelling and grammar, and they may look at your response, and your typing as pompous.

I don't think this should be such an issue, and if it is enough to be enforced on the board, it should be enforced in the chat room, private messages, and status updates as well.

This isn't Facebook. Someone comes here to discuss the profession of Paramedicine and EMS. But I suppose this may just be a symptom of the lack of professionalism that plagues some segments of EMS.

You should be grateful and HELPFUL, to your fellow provider. Especially someone with a wealth of knowledge who can teach many of us here a few things. Bashing on them over crap like that only shows how immature and conceited you can be. Not to mention discouraging people from replying to your posts just out of spite for you being dbags. Furthermore, I think his spelling and grammar is pretty darn good for English being his second language! Grow up people!

I gather the "his" you're referring to is SA_Medic. At what point did I, or anyone, say: "SA_Medic sucks at posting!"? Please point out where, prior to this post, I addressed any specific member in this thread?

Oh, the irony! :lol:

Touche.

Finally, from the site rules:

"Give reasonable attention to your grammar. Although we want to maintain a casual atmosphere here, this is ultimately a PROFESSIONAL forum where members of the public are free to read and draw conclusions about us as a profession. There is an automatic spell checker provided on this forum. Please use it. Do not post messages that appear as if they were taken from a 13 year old girl's AOL chat. "You" is spelled YOU, not "u." "Whatever" is spelled WHATEVER, not "w/e." And punctuation is extremely important to those trying to understand your statements. If you are too pressed for time to type legibly and using punctuation and capitalization, then please come back later when you have more time. AND NEVER POST IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS!"

AND, why individual members trying to address poor communication poses a problem:

"6. You agree not to engage in moderating or administrating behavior. If you believe that somebody here is in violation of our rules or community standards, report that behavior to a Moderator either by e-mail, or by clicking on the "Report Post" button at the offending post. Moderators will deal with disputes and other rule violations privately and behind the scenes. Members who attempt to assume authority over their fellow board members by playing Moderator, publicly calling them out, or otherwise attempting to limit their speech, shall be subject to disciplinary action."

Edited by docharris

Doc, this is a societal problem, not just here.

I make a special point to tell my students to use spell check, and proof read their work before submitting it. I said it is NOT appropriate to use slang or text language in papers submitted in a university setting. Despite my warnings, students still submitted work with "LOL", or j/k in it. I marked them down for it and they were sheepish because they never even realized they were doing it. Even basic word processing programs have spell check, so there is NO reason to submit work with improper spelling. Here, obviously spell checker is not familiar with medical terms so we need to be more vigilant.

In emails, I be sure to use proper grammar, full sentences, and proper punctuation. Takes longer, but I think it also makes a statement.

That aint write are it? :confused::thumbsup:

ROFL

I have a spelling checker It came with my PC. It plane lee marks four my revue Miss steaks aye can knot see.

Eye ran this poem threw it. Your sure real glad two no. Its very polished in its weigh, My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a blessing. It freeze yew lodes of thyme. It helps me right awl stiles two reed, And aides me when aye rime.

Each frays comes posed up on my screen Eye trussed too bee a joule. The checker pours o'er every word To cheque sum spelling rule.

Bee fore a veiling checkers Hour spelling mite decline, And if we're laks oar have a laps, We wood bee maid too wine.

Butt now bee cause my spelling Is checked with such grate flare, There are know faults with in my cite, Of nun eye am a wear.

Now spelling does not phase me, It does knot bring a tier. My pay purrs awl due glad den With wrapped words fare as hear.

To rite with care is quite a feet Of witch won should be proud, And wee mussed dew the best wee can, Sew flaws are knot aloud.

Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays Such soft wear four pea seas, And why eye brake in two averse Buy righting want too please.

Edit: Author Unknown....to me at least

Edited by Arctickat
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.