Documenting time

JPINFV

Since today marked one of the two days of the year for the majority of us when our time zone changes (X Daylight Time to X Standard Time), here's a question. How do you document time to specify DT vs ST? To be honest, I've never seen anyone document time zones on their run sheet since the time zone is generally a given based on location. Similarly, for people who work near time zone boarders, how do you handle calls and documentation when you end up crossing the time zone border during your call?

• Like 1

Since today marked one of the two days of the year for the majority of us when our time zone changes (X Daylight Time to X Standard Time), here's a question. How do you document time to specify DT vs ST? To be honest, I've never seen anyone document time zones on their run sheet since the time zone is generally a given based on location. Similarly, for people who work near time zone boarders, how do you handle calls and documentation when you end up crossing the time zone border during your call?

You keep all times the same as your point of origin. Just like when we fly and cross state lines, you state of origin is the scope of practice you follow.

Since your "home" dispatch is the one keeping the times (usually) those will not change and those are what you use.

If you are on a run and the time changes, you still document like it never did and a note is made in the event that this particular report is ever called into question during a legal proceeding. I rather have a comment that the clocks were set back an hour instead of my report and treating therapies being documented prior to my arrival. :)

I just noted "day light savings" in the log and on the one or two runs it effected.

Speaking with the dispatcher she was rather frustrated that entire hour. Our system puts runs in time order and as we ran out of squads she couldn't tell what Engine had been sitting on scene the longest without an ambulance.

• Like 1

If your times are automatically sent to a computer/lap top, mobile data terminal, use the times given to you. It certainly wouldn't hurt to make a note about a time discrepancy as crochity noted- on paper it may appear you arrived at a call before you were even disptatched. That would be quite a bonus for your response times, wouldn't it? LOL

1) Agreed that control point's time will be time used for documentation, even if crossing time zone boundary.

2) Further agree, note in call comments that time change from Daylight savings time to regular, or regular to daylight savings time.

2-A) Suggest the comments of the time change primarily be on the call report. Call reports can be called into court as evidence, but per my understanding of New York State law, a "unit activity log" cannot be called in as evidence. Still, record it on the "UAL", also.

Regarding the time changes, it is my understanding some long time dispatchers, on going to Daylight Savings Time, when "jumping ahead", have been known to announce

Due to lack of interest, the next hour has been canceled, and we will proceed directly into the following hour.

When "Falling back" into Standard Time, the same dispatchers have been known to say

Due to popular demand, the previous hour will be repeated.

Some units have been known to request being logged on again, following that announcement.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.