Bad Driving May Have Genetic BasisSt

SA_Medic

People with a particular gene variant performed more than 20 percent worse on a driving test than people without it -- and a follow-up test a few days later yielded similar results. About 30 percent of Americans have the variant.

"These people make more errors from the get-go, and they forget more of what they learned after time away," said Dr. Steven Cramer, neurology associate professor and senior author of the study published recently in the journal Cerebral Cortex.

This gene variant limits the availability of a protein called brain-derived neurotrophic factor during activity. BDNF keeps memory strong by supporting communication among brain cells and keeping them functioning optimally. When a person is engaged in a particular task, BDNF is secreted in the brain area connected with that activity to help the body respond.

Read more at this link

sample size of 29 - bah humbug.. not enough to draw any conclusions. The study of people in car crashes would be interesting tho.. could contact hundreds of thousands of them and ask for DNA.

• Like 1

So does this mean if I drive like an idiot I can blame my parents? Man these people seriously know how to waste money on crap!

Sure you can parents get blamed for everything, But I am with Kaisu on the more data. It would be interesting to see if this study given more people how the results would vary from the small sized at the begining. Heck if they want to waste money I know how they can they can send to a small town girl and see how fast she can spend it. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I can se it you know.

Lets blame this on genetics, along with moronic attitudes, poor judgment, and any number of other illnessess, disorders & general stuff ups.

Whay cant we accept that some people are bad drivers because they drive too fast, drink drive, talk or text on their cell while driving, or maybe, just maybe some people are geneticly predisposed to microsleeps while driving & it isnt really fatigue.

Lets get over it & stop trying to blame everything on someone. People need to accept perosnal responsibility without trying to blame it elswhere.

I can se it you know.

Lets blame this on genetics, along with moronic attitudes, poor judgment, and any number of other illnessess, disorders & general stuff ups.

Whay cant we accept that some people are bad drivers because they drive too fast, drink drive, talk or text on their cell while driving, or maybe, just maybe some people are geneticly predisposed to microsleeps while driving & it isnt really fatigue.

Lets get over it & stop trying to blame everything on someone. People need to accept perosnal responsibility without trying to blame it elswhere.

I agree phil we have became a society of blame this person or that person. No one wants to wants to take responsibility for their own actions.

Why can't you accept that there may be genetic factors that influence how we drive? Just as well, your examples should also include that maybe, just maybe, bad driving may arise from neurological dysfunction caused by genetics. Just sayin'.

If my insurance rates rise because I have the issue, I'd consider suing my parents... :devilish:

OK, all these replies, and nobody has yet suggested this genetic component may be XY/XX related??

LOL! I was just fixin to post that! :thumbsup:

And let's not forget the ethnicity connexion!