TRAUMA - Episode 5

I thought yesterday was Sunday, so I didn't reset my DVR to record anything. I'll have to do so with a TV schedule. Oddly, when the power goes out, the DVR keeps it's time and settings, but erases the programming. Ba*tards. :ball:

• Like 1

Poor 4c6....... I've been catching up on all of them via the internet. Every night @ 9pm I've always been too busy to stop and watch the show. I admit at first the pilot ended my "hype" I had for it. But every show is starting to get a little more refined. This last one was still a lil off as for as the medicine goes. But all things aside, its not supposed to be a "reality series". So, as far as the drauma, characters are developing enough each week to show progression and the acting is still off. I'll be watching, and hopefully if it lasts long enough, looking forward to the season finalie where hopefully the characters are refined copies of that what started in the pilot as washouts.

Helicopters make house calls? I have to call medical command and kiss his ass to justify flying a CVA victim, and we're nearly 60 ground miles from a stroke center... :mad: Great idea to give the public. "Why didn't you fly him like on TV?"

The props dude needs to inflate and glue closed, the bags on the oxygen masks. That way it looks real.

• Like 1

So far my favorite part of the whole series, was the guy in the collar beating the crap out of the rig with a baseball bat over his bill. Extreme yes but i'm sure there are alot of people who have thought about doing it.

• Like 1

My 20 hours are for, following "Trauma", watching CSI Miami, the 11 O'clock News, sleep, Tuesday activities before accessing back on line.

A separate string for each episode? Well, why not! Good, bad or indifferent, why not have separate strings?

Now, as to that awaited commentary...

1) The Phosphorus explosion was unexpected, but that explains the burns I didn't initially understand.

2) I note power-lift stretchers. Nice.

3) While trained in their usage, and having them in the stock aboard my ambulance, I've never used one. Has anyone in EMT City used them at First responder, BLS or ALS levels?

4) When the guy in the C-Collar didn't leave, the scene was no longer "safe", PD should have been called. Then, no window smashing on the ambulance.

5) I think I've used the "Grandma's Funeral" gimmick a few times too many. The only way would have been if the parents had divorced and remarried numerous times, or even the real grandparents.

6) The movie reference to Goldfinger's painted woman? After the "Bullett" reference in the pilot episode? Either Rabbit is way older than portrayed, or is a big time movie buff, like Tony on "NCIS".

7) The turn-down by the intern to Rabbit was nice.

8) Considering the squabbling of the parents, perhaps that is why the boy ran away so far and fast as he did, before becoming a "Pedestrian struck".

9) The man turned away from the party? Surprise, he didn't return with a Mac 10 to blow the party apart.

10) Rabbit hates kids, so why is he being so nice to the one hit by the car? It's out of character.

11) The intern was wearing a fairy costume, and Doc yelled at her for it. Perhaps it was because she was the only one in costume?

12) The child sees the intern in costume. Did this telegraph repercussions for anyone else?

13) Is Boone anti-gay? While working the Castro District, home of the late Harvey Milk? Why else did he almost punch out the obvious phony Paramedic? Actually, I view what he did as an assault.

13-A) Is it possible to buy a fully equipped and stocked ambulance from Craig's List?

14) How often does a flight crew get put into a ground unit, fog or not? Fog, and any nasty weather, can lift, and flight operations resumed.

15) With smashed windshield, that ambulance Rabbit got is probably good to be declared non-roadworthy till fixed.

16) The talky concerned wife? Nobody asked her to step into another room to allow the crew to do their job. Yes, we have all had one like that, and probably worse (leastwise, I have, several times).

17) The intern was correct in telling the divorced couple not to argue in front of the child. I have heard that hearing might still be active in an unconscious patient. I have no information on things overheard while unconscious driving anyone deeper into that state. Anyone have further information?

18) See #12. Repercussion was the boy thought he'd seen Tinkerbell. He kept saying "Tink?" when he first awakened.

19) Boone returned to behaving professionally when he treated the gay phony medic.

20) OK, referring to MY protocols: The pilot, acting as an EMT in the ground ambulance, starts an IV, an ALS protocol? I yield that some jurisdictions, perhaps a BLS person CAN start an IV, legally.

21) Boone's partner of 3 years is Gay, and Boone didn't know. While it is a big whoop, overall, I admit I never saw it coming.

22) Doc asks the intern to calm down the child by resuming the Fairy costume. That did kind of telegraph itself.

23) Despite how crazy both Rabbit and Nancy are, it was nice to see she is also human, visiting her dead partner/fiancee's grave on his favorite holiday of Halloween.

24) Re the helicopter's landings: Anyone else note the lack of safety, as the helicopter never seems to have anyone holding back traffic or bystanders when they create a landing zone? No, they just "drop in".

25) Re back to #9: The party had pyrotechnics gone haywire. Real life, we had about 100 dead at a club, when the band's pyrotechnics set the place on fire a few years ago. One of the dead was a band member. Anyone remember the club name, the band name, or the town? Sorry, I don't.

Edited by Richard B the EMT
  • Like 1

6) The movie reference to Goldfinger's painted woman? After the "Bullett" reference in the pilot episode? Either Rabbit is way older than portrayed, or is a big time movie buff, like Tony on "NCIS".

Very nice catch, Rich! I too was beginning to wonder just how old this guy is supposed to be because of that.

9) The man turned away from the party? Surprise, he didn't return with a Mac 10 to blow the party apart.

Another nice catch! I missed picking up on that. I was looking for it too, because every episode has had them set us up for something like that, and then something completely different happen.

13) Is Boone anti-gay? While working the Castro District, home of the late Harvey Milk? Why else did he almost punch out the obvious phony Paramedic? Actually, I view what he did as an assault.

I figure he starts off as anti-gay, just so they can develop his character later on.

14) How often does a flight crew get put into a ground unit, fog or not? Fog, and any nasty weather, can lift, and flight operations resumed.

I've been trying to figure out if the flight op is even part of the SFFD EMS system, or if it is a separate entity, as they are around here. I thought it was separate, so was surprised to see them take to the streets.

15) With smashed windshield, that ambulance Rabbit got is probably good to be declared non-roadworthy till fixed.x

Yeah, even the most ghetto operation would take it out of service. Not like Ford windshields are hard to come by.

21) Boone's partner of 3 years is Gay, and Boone didn't know. While it is a big whoop, overall, I admit I never saw it coming.

Maybe I just have advanced gaydar, lol. All the actors in this show come across entirely too metrosexual. But that guy especially stood out as a little more light in the loafers. And when he kinda mumbled about working in so many different places before SF in a previous episode, I immediately figured he had some personal issues. I pretty well guessed he was teh ghey.

25) Re back to #9: The party had pyrotechnics gone haywire. Real life, we had about 100 dead at a club, when the band's pyrotechnics set the place on fire a few years ago. One of the dead was a band member. Anyone remember the club name, the band name, or the town? Sorry, I don't.

The Station Nightclub Fire - Rhode Island

A friend of mine from my band days is from RI and was actually going to go to that club that night, but didn't at the last minute.

Edited by Dustdevil
  • Like 1

Lots of good points. I don't know how to multi-quote, and there is no need to recap on them all. Just a few and probably out of order.

Yes, you can buy an ambulance off of craigslist if you look hard enough. Whether it is stocked or not, I guess that is up to the seller. (The phonies only saw the outside anyway, they didn't know for sure what was inside)

Dressing up for hallween at work (in EMS/Hospitals) is unprofessional, but I suppose depending on what you are wearing, it could be alright. For example, a lab tech wearing a vampire costume or something.

I am only 26yrs old and I know about Goldfinger and the chick laying there near dead in blue, did remind me of the chick from the movie in gold.

I have seen flight crews do ground calls in extreme situations, but not actively "running" calls from dispatch. LifeLion, out of Hershey, for example has a NICU ambulance. Also, seen a flight crew transport by ground when they came onto scene and the helicopter had maintenance problems and was not flyable. But again, extreme circumstances. When weather is bad, HEMS is grounded until further notice, like Richard said, weather breaks. Now your crew is out joy riding when they could be landing on my house to save my choking dog.

The collar guy was asked to leave, and it appeared he walked away. I would still have called PD because these people often do come back, which this guy did. PD showed up REALLY quick and I don't recall anyone radioing for help.

Sorry, but San Fran is a very known city for homosexual population, and The Castro is also a well known gathering spot for them. They are famous for Halloween there. As far as Boone not liking gays, maybe he doesn't. A lot of people feel uncomfortable around them. As for his "partner" being gay, that was just funny/ironic.

Not sure if Rabbit hates kids, or it just intimidated by them. I think maybe he had a rough child hood or something like that. The kids he was around, he was nice to them. I think there is a lot more to this guy than they are leading us to believe. He is a know it all jerk that is a rebel. We all know people who are like this, in AND out of EMS. I think this char will develop a lot more and end up being a cool guy teaching others (like he did with hot pilot chick).

Pilot chick turns out to be pretty cool and capable of doing her job outside of her "job". Even though it might be out of protocol? Not sure if EMT-B can do IV there.

these are not hits on you Richard, just my views on the things you pointed out

and yes, we should discuss each episode. It's not THAT BAD of a series. Needs a lot of work, but it gives us something to talk about.

Edited by FireMedic65
  • Like 1

Oh darn I missed it ...pfft.

The reference to Tony D from NCIS .... I must protest that guy's hilarious and can act, does a great Shawn Connery :thumbsup:

Edited by tniuqs
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.