Footwear Question....

I'll be starting clinicals in a couple weeks and I imagine I'm going to be spending a lot of time on my feet. I was wondering what kind of footwear everyone is wearing while on duty. If you could list brand names and sources to buy I would appreciate it. I'm looking for a full or 3/4 cut boot style. Preesh!

• Like 2

Wore Rocky Paratroopers for years and loved 'em - had the snap over so the zipper stayed up, lasted me several years and held up really well even the insoles. Still wear 'em in bad weather - galls was my resource. Now I wear the pull on Blundstones which I absolutely love - only bad thing is if you end up out in a really muddy area, well guess what happens? Your boot stays and you end up with a muddy foot. They actually do a great job of staying on though with the exception of exceptionally muddy areas (ie solid 6 inch deep mud which was the one I lost mine on - stayed on every other time). The blundstones are waterproof and really comfy and about the same price as the Rocky's. Rocky's run around $120, Blundstones are around $130-$140 depending on where you buy them from. I buy them from a saddle shop because they are cheaper there, but most shoe magazines have them. Mine are six years old and I'm still wearing them four times a week, and just got them resoled.

I wore these

http://www.magnumboots.com/us/prod/5186.asp

But I also wear orthotics so I couldn't tell you how comfy they are normally. They had great ankle support (I have bad ankles and never rolled once). (edit:) These boots also have the vibram outsole which is what chaco sandals have and provide super awesome traction!

But Fire is right, you need to try on what works for you. We're all different and have different pressure points on our feet. I suggest a ranger surplus store and talking to those guys. You want something easy to clean but durable and composite toe preferable to a steel toe. Steel toes can get cold in the winter and transfer the cold to the toes which is no bueno!

Good luck!!

Edited by scoobykate

I wore these

http://www.magnumboots.com/us/prod/5186.asp

But I also wear orthotics so I couldn't tell you how comfy they are normally. They had great ankle support (I have bad ankles and never rolled once). (edit:) These boots also have the vibram outsole which is what chaco sandals have and provide super awesome traction!

But Fire is right, you need to try on what works for you. We're all different and have different pressure points on our feet. I suggest a ranger surplus store and talking to those guys. You want something easy to clean but durable and composite toe preferable to a steel toe. Steel toes can get cold in the winter and transfer the cold to the toes which is no bueno!

Good luck!!

Magnums are a good boot scooby - had a pair and wore the suckers out. Unfortunately they don't make the zippers like they used to and when I tried a new pair it kept falling down on me. Only problem - they weren't waterproof - when standing in a small creek scoopin some dummy that ended up in it and it's cold that doesnt make for a good day :thumbsdown: . Highly suggest whatever you get is waterproof and if not, that you have it waterproofed. May be more money, but worth every cent !

Magnums are a good boot scooby - had a pair and wore the suckers out. Unfortunately they don't make the zippers like they used to and when I tried a new pair it kept falling down on me. Only problem - they weren't waterproof - when standing in a small creek scoopin some dummy that ended up in it and it's cold that doesnt make for a good day :thumbsdown: . Highly suggest whatever you get is waterproof and if not, that you have it waterproofed. May be more money, but worth every cent !

Good point... I would just wear my turnouts and fire boots when the weather was nasty out and it would be on the unit if we get called to a creek or other area where I would have been standing in water

I wear the Original Swat boot. It has the side zipper on both the short and tall boot. They come in steel and non-steel toe, however I recommend the steel toe boot for this type of work. I've had me current pair for 2 years and most likely have them for another year or so. It only took about 3 shifts to wear these boots in. A bonus is they hold a nice shine!

Whatever you decide, do not buy boots online w/o trying a pair on. Everyone's feet are different and it may take several pairs before you find the right one.

Good lock with your search.