Professional Pride

I can understand why some of the Genx/Y'ers may feel insulted, but look at the descriptions that define the various generations. Baby boomers, Gen X'ers, depression era folks, every group has certain traits and characteristics assigned to them. Do these traits guarantee a person will behave/react/exhibit a certain behavior? No, but like any generalization, there is a kernel of truth to it.

The reasons for these traits are usually the result of society and parental influences so it would be wrong to simply blame the person. We all are the results of our parents and what we were exposed to growing up, but as noted by scooby and others, we CHOOSE whether or not we are defined by these expectations.

This is an article that talks about the entitlement generation in the context of college education and grades:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/18/education/18college.html?_r=1

As the parent of a 22 year old, I have a vested interest in this discussion. A very bright kid who attended a selective enrollment, elite high school, who despite his parents both having masters degrees and the Mrs working on her PHD as we speak, his "lack of enthusiasm" for effort and a lack of interest in his education did not come from home. He wants to be a cop, but won't put forth the requisite effort to meet the qualifications(2 yrs of college) It's always someone else's fault, looking for the easy way with the least amount of effort- we've experienced all the defining characteristics of this generation. External forces were obviously a stronger influence on him than the ones he received at home. Is he a bad kid- no, and thankfully not involved in anything bad or illegal- just waiting for the solutions to his problems to present themselves that require no effort. Frustrating- yep.

I don't know what the answers are, but I do know that the entitlement mentality is a very real issue.

• Like 1

Attitude......I like that. Like I said. You get out of it, what you put into it.....thumbsup.gif ..

cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.