Professional Pride

Ask: "do you really mean that"

Here I had a whole long reply prepared, discussing whether or not the humor is "othering" and a whole bunch of other sociological terms and theory, and you managed to condense it down to six words. Bravo/a.

• Like 1

As a member of the "entitlement generation," I both accept and reject your comments about us. A lot of us do feel entitled and so you are not entirely wrong. I'm thinking hard right now to think whether I fit into that bracket or not. What I do know, is that I take a lot of pride in my personal appearance (uniform, grooming) and the state of our ambulances. I also like to think I don't take shortcuts on calls. I will continue to contemplate this.

I also want to bring up another archetype we all probably know: the old burnt out emt/medic. One particular provider in our service stands out to me. Never clean shaven, shirt never tucked in, frankly this provider looks like someone you would expect to show up to fix your plumbing, not your heart. And that's not even mentioning patient care. I do think it's valid for the older (I'm not saying your old, relax) emts/medics to look at us young'uns with some skepticism, but we are not the root of this problem. You either respect the work, or you don't...either way it shows, but it doesn't come from age.

As a member of the "entitlement generation," I both accept and reject your comments about us. A lot of us do feel entitled and so you are not entirely wrong. I'm thinking hard right now to think whether I fit into that bracket or not. What I do know, is that I take a lot of pride in my personal appearance (uniform, grooming) and the state of our ambulances. I also like to think I don't take shortcuts on calls. I will continue to contemplate this.

I also want to bring up another archetype we all probably know: the old burnt out emt/medic. One particular provider in our service stands out to me. Never clean shaven, shirt never tucked in, frankly this provider looks like someone you would expect to show up to fix your plumbing, not your heart. And that's not even mentioning patient care. I do think it's valid for the older (I'm not saying your old, relax) emts/medics to look at us young'uns with some skepticism, but we are not the root of this problem. You either respect the work, or you don't...either way it shows, but it doesn't come from age.

As another member of this entitlement generation I agree completely. Age is irrelevant. I grew up in a fairly well off family, never wanted for much, drive a nice car, go to a nice school without the need for student loans, and generally I have always expected that I would receive these things as that was the norm for where I grew up in a DC suburb. Does that change the way I approach EMS? Helllss no. Professional pride doesn't have to do with the entitlement generation, or age, it has to do with each individual person on an individual basis. I too have worked with someone who was truly burnt out, never shaved, never in a clean uniform, you name it. He would give me crap all the time about having my uniform pressed, my hair clean and neatly pulled back, shoes shined, collar brass shined, but I just ignored him because when I got on scene, people could tell that I was a professional and there to help them feel better. Some people were actually scared of him on a call and no one really respected him. I have also seen people my age, with the same training, show up on a call with their hair in their face, chewing gum, in sweatpants and a ratty old t-shirt. It goes both ways guys and age or generation has little to do with whether or not you have professional pride.

Age is irrelevant.

Age is irrellevant. Age of entry & attitude is completly relevant.

I have seen people who have joined EMS at a young age, spent 30+ years in the job & be completly incompetent. Why? Because they choose not to upgrade their skills.They like to look at the old ways of doing things as the best way & are biding their time to retirement, still clinging to the old ways of doing things.

However, they have had the tenacity to stick at it for so long, but they are a minority.

Gen 'y' is the opposite They want it all now. They want to start at the top & if they cant they ask 'Y?'. However, we see that career wise they tend to drift more, lack stability chasing the top of the tree, lacking the appropriate skills to do the job properly.

The secret is to find the balance. The balance of the young enthusiastic person, who will take the time to listen to those in the know (yest dust, squint & ak, this means you) take it on board & learn from their experience, without being a know it all, but is willing to show their commitment to the industry & to learning. Not just blindly following what they are told & hiding behind a protocol book.

Age is irrellevant. Age of entry & attitude is completly relevant.

I have seen people who have joined EMS at a young age, spent 30+ years in the job & be completly incompetent. Why? Because they choose not to upgrade their skills.They like to look at the old ways of doing things as the best way & are biding their time to retirement, still clinging to the old ways of doing things.

But again, age isn't the factor there...attitude is. Someone could enter EMS at 45 and decide to never upgrade their skills because of a lack of motivation or lack of desire to increase their knowledge. Someone could enter at 16 and decide that they want to go at EMS full force and learn everything they can and take every class available to them. It is attitude that is the important factor here. Age of entry and age are once again irrelevant. In my opinion at least.

But again, age isn't the factor there...attitude is. Someone could enter EMS at 45 and decide to never upgrade their skills because of a lack of motivation or lack of desire to increase their knowledge. Someone could enter at 16 and decide that they want to go at EMS full force and learn everything they can and take every class available to them. It is attitude that is the important factor here. Age of entry and age are once again irrelevant. In my opinion at least.

There is a difference. That difference is at the patients bedside. A person at 45 generally has fully developed social skills & the ability to deal with a wide range of people in many & varied circumstances.

The 16 year old does not.

People need social skills to do this job, not just book knowledge.

I have met some young EMT's and Paramedics that are extremely professional and have great bedside manner. I have met some older ones that are a major waste of space. I have met some great ex military medics, but sadly some of the most unprofessional EMT's/Paramedics I have met were ex military. So guess what my unofficial, non scientific observations prove? That it is up to each individual to make sure they are professional and try to move up to a position where you can force others to become professional or get out of our profession.

Another nail takes one on the head!

Garbage in = garbage out. An organisation has to start off with something to work with, and not just the lowest common denominator. It doesn't guarantee you that they'll all be excellent employees, but it certainly raises your odds significantly.

Mr. Fishbine interviewing Speed in "Mother, Jugs, & Speed" was a great example of a proper EMS interview! :D

I thought that was you in that movie

I have met some young EMT's and Paramedics that are extremely professional and have great bedside manner. I have met some older ones that are a major waste of space. I have met some great ex military medics, but sadly some of the most unprofessional EMT's/Paramedics I have met were ex military. So guess what my unofficial, non scientific observations prove? That it is up to each individual to make sure they are professional and try to move up to a position where you can force others to become professional or get out of our profession.

I agree 100%... people keep placing emphasis on age and experience and how young people don't have life experience to yadda yadda yadda... I'm 22 and have gone through more than most 45 year olds. I have been a patient, which I think made me a better provider 10 fold. Age has nothing to do with it. It is the individual and you can't make generalizations when it comes to a topic such as this.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.