Would I be allowed to give this?

Gypsy

like an epi-pen. It's being sent home today and removed from the building. Which means I can breath alot easier.

I hope that means the children with severe allergies will not be attending your school anymore then, otherwise you will be the only one "breathing easy" while you wait for EMS while a childs airway closes :doctor:

1. there is a 'patient specific direction' so the issues of local protocols over autonomous supply and administration are out of the equation

2. unless your contract of employment and Job description require you to be an EMT at school then you aren't... they can't just flip things about, especially as you state you need medicla direction to practice as an EMT.

I hope that means the children with severe allergies will not be attending your school anymore then, otherwise you will be the only one "breathing easy" while you wait for EMS while a childs airway closes doctor.gif

No epi-pens we can give. My director thought the seizure medication was the same thing like an epi which I knew it wasn't.

zippyRN I know which is something that bugs me when I hear them talk. I"ve been trying to get out of this school for a while.

zippyRN I know which is something that bugs me when I hear them talk. I"ve been trying to get out of this school for a while.

If you enjoy what you do with the kids you just need to clarify whether the EMT is really part of your job description.

The Florida statutes for the school systems are quite extensive and you should be able to function quite well under those guidelines. However, your school would have to adopt their P&Ps to those guidelines and not be in the belief that the EMT is some sort of independent health care professional. In this situation the EMT card is just a source of confusion and probably should not even be a part of your job description. Your focus should be on your position as an educator and that role has expanded as more children with medical problems enter the school systems. There are enough organizations backing these challenges to see the schools and the staff have the necessary support. Get your employer to tap into those resources.

• 2 months later...

The difference with the epi-pen is negligible. Even though it's in your scope to assist with an epi-pen, you still can't do it without medical direction. So if you are hired as an EMT in any fashion, they must have a medical director and some standing orders. If you are working as a teacher, then that's what you are. It must be defined in writing somewhere.

For example, I work as medical staff for a camp up in the woods. The first thing I did when I got hired was ask for a copy of their medical protocols and the information for their director. This is my own CYA in case I have to treat someone there (even within my scope).

Sounds like you are employed as a teacher and they just like that you have EMT experience, in that case I think you're fine to administer a student's own medications for them.

Edited by treaux

Gypsy:

2 thoughts cross my mind with this:

1- I would be very pleased to have a preschool care provider to have this medication in their hands over the standard run of the mill "preschool teacher" as any seizure activity can be quite disconserting to observe to say the least. As an EMT as you would know how to maintain an open airway without/with a benzodiazepine in a child in Status Epilepticus until an Ambulance was summoned and arrived of course. If you are permitted by the parents of the child then really I can not see a legal issue, just who would take legal action against you ? Here in Alberta there are provisions in law to allow and care for these kids with serious medical conditions to go to schools with the previso that that they caregivers were educated to administer that drug. (I can understand that you would feel uncomfortable) That said you could if your clever to ask for additional training and flip this into a positive for both the preschool program, yourself and last but not least allow this child to attend school / preschool.

2- The legal issue oddly enough is that your EMT training this becomes an "out of scope practice issue" instead of what is the best moral and ethical manner to care for a child with a known medical condition and to attend school. This could become a really bigger deal by far as the parents (here) could bring a human rights complaint against the school, just saying.

cheers

Gypsy:

2 thoughts cross my mind with this:

1- I would be very pleased to have a preschool care provider to have this medication in their hands over the standard run of the mill "preschool teacher" as any seizure activity can be quite disconserting to observe to say the least. As an EMT as you would know how to maintain an open airway without/with a benzodiazepine in a child in Status Epilepticus until an Ambulance was summoned and arrived of course. If you are permitted by the parents of the child then really I can not see a legal issue, just who would take legal action against you ? Here in Alberta there are provisions in law to allow and care for these kids with serious medical conditions to go to schools with the previso that that they caregivers were educated to administer that drug. (I can understand that you would feel uncomfortable) That said you could if your clever to ask for additional training and flip this into a positive for both the preschool program, yourself and last but not least allow this child to attend school / preschool.

2- The legal issue oddly enough is that your EMT training this becomes an "out of scope practice issue" instead of what is the best moral and ethical manner to care for a child with a known medical condition and to attend school. This could become a really bigger deal by far as the parents (here) could bring a human rights complaint against the school, just saying.

cheers

Just had this discussion again on another forum.

Forget the freaking EMT thing. If you are working as an educator or teacher in a school system, as educated individuals responsible for children several hours a day 5 days a week, you have a greater responsibility than someone with a 110 hour first aid certificate. You do what your job description calls for as an educator or teacher. Leave the stupid very limiting EMT cert at home if it is not mentioned anywhere in your job description as a teacher in the school system. Teachers have no less than a 4 year degree with most likely a Masters or Ph.D. They are mature individuals who understand the responsibility trusted to them and they understand children as well as having some idea of what the disease is they are treating which is more than one can say for either the U.S. EMT or Paramedic since pediatrics is lacking in the curriculm.

Imagine if all the certified Paramedics working as McDonalds while waiting for their shot at the FD thought they were hired for their ALS skills and not the ability to flip burgers. They have to do the job they were hired for.

Edited by VentMedic
  • Like 1

Freaking ... yikes

Squint runs and hides, ducking and weaving looking for a bunker.

I think Vent just OWNED you with that post great post btw!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: