TRAUMA Premiere, 20 Sep 09

Dustdevil

So you used to put the drunks behind the wheel now your going to save them ? hmmm ok this is plausible, sure hope you have put away some tips I hope to get through school ...just saying its a bloody shame that you guys are not paid decently and that the volunteer service are undercutting you ... honestly after 4 years on this site I can see THAT light.

This is one of the many reasons that i decided to pursue a career with EMS, ive spent a lot of time feeding people alcohol. Im a responsible bartender, observing the laws on over-serving customers, but of course there are many people who get behind the wheel anyway. Its a crappy feeling to know that somewhere along the way one of my customers might have been involved in an accident. So i decided to start the transition into another career direction. Im still a bartender, ive gotta earn a paycheck somehow!

I have done very well for myself slinging drinks over the years so ive already got my schooling paid for, now ive just gotta do the hard part, buckle down and study.

• Like 1

This is one of the many reasons that i decided to pursue a career with EMS, ive spent a lot of time feeding people alcohol. Im a responsible bartender, observing the laws on over-serving customers, but of course there are many people who get behind the wheel anyway. Its a crappy feeling to know that somewhere along the way one of my customers might have been involved in an accident. So i decided to start the transition into another career direction. Im still a bartender, ive gotta earn a paycheck somehow!

I have done very well for myself slinging drinks over the years so ive already got my schooling paid for, now ive just gotta do the hard part, buckle down and study.

Well good on you bro ... I laid a trap and you responded professionally :thumbsup:

Just too bad your 2Rude4MyOwnGood a great handle btw .....

In some shows, they just throw out the book on how things really are done.

However, even total fabrications can have those who buck the "trend".

To demonstrate that, I am told that, when a new director tried to tell the actor playing the Transporter Officer to throw the lever in one direction to "energize" the Transporter, on a second season episode of Star Trek (classic, with Capt. Kirk), the actor refused, arguing that the requested lever pull was for transporting down, not up, and he was supposed to be "beaming" someone up!

Talk about living the role!

(Information source: The Making Of Star Trek, by Steven Whitfield)

Straight out of Compton . . .

"First In"

A mix of fire and EMS.

What's an ambulance operator?

Full Episodes here:

First In

NickD smile.gif

Check out this thread on FH.com

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=110833

None other than Marcel, the BC on the show weighs in and answers questions about the show. He begins at post #23, username upnsmk.

Well good on you bro ... I laid a trap and you responded professionally thumbsup.gif

Just too bad your 2Rude4MyOwnGood a great handle btw .....

Haha, i thought i smelled a trap!

Im just a new guy around here, and ive got no intentions of trying to piss off the veterans....well, at least not on purpose!

Wish i could take credit for coming up with my screen name but i borrowed it from a reggae song by a guy named Too Rude.

Anywho, i bet tonights episode really bothered some of you guys. The whole shooting incident was pretty outrageous. I understand that the writers need to keep the intensity up but jeez. The fact that the one medic's wife happened to be on the same floor as the shooter, and then Rabbit taking a bullet...next week hes going to break out his cape and fly around San Fran without his chopper. And last week the Medevac pilot couldnt even insert an NP, now shes treating patients at an MVA.

I dunno, ill still keep tuning in, but shit is getting a bit too crazy for me.

So yup I watched it too again .. my bad ... don't answer that :withstupid:

So here is what I learned:

Pop eyes back into sockets from a MBA from poly trauma and when jogging by a scene, WOW it works to.

And now one can land a 212 in a school yard without any LZ safety officers. .... got to love this downtown landing stuff, The best part (well thats just me) inducing hypothermia in a possible spinal cord injury and with one liter NS IV and because I read it in a medical journal once ... so wheres the barf smiley again ?

Then IM (somewhere in the arm) 4 mgs ? of Narcan for a tramadol OD um is that an opiate now (sorry don't have instant rewind on that one to catch all the other rx) and supposedly in a mixed OD but never bother clearing or open an airway and THEN claim a drunk driving into your house saved your child's life ? Ah ain't that nice of whatever her name is.

Gets better folks .. Pericardiocentesis for penetrating chest wound ie GSW thats a its because of JVD ... no monitor, no O2, no line, no BPs just stick needles in hearts for the hell of it ... she must have lived, don't they all ?

NOW episode 2 and Rabbit Stew still doesn't know how to do ****ING CPR !??? On a guy that just shot him ? too bad he missed the head shot, looked like a 44 or 357 yup all super hero's just get up off the floor after taking that many foot pounds.

The saddest thing is that Antony Dinozzos ex Dr. Heart Break has been demoted to an mere nurse but is now hitting on a Da Wabbit ... I think I am going to cry for poor Tony D or will we find out that Wabbit is really Gay, it is in SF after all ... te he.

Well the good thing is no one was sitting beside me when I watched this trash, the neighbor did knock on the door and ask what the screaming was all about ... then the RCMP and ..oh never mind :innocent:

Somebody Please Tell me this is supposed to be a comedy for EMS and good thing is only 8 more episodes to go before its cancelled, and oh and its Thanksgiving day here in Kanukistan ..I am very thankful that this CRAP wasn't filmed in Vancouver.

cheers

ps Honestly the saddest thing is that I contacted 4 female ex partners and apparently I am the only one has never been lucky in the back of a truck ... despite my blue flight suit :shutup:

I wanted to share this quote from another source it pretty much nails it.

EMS1 columnist Mike McEvoy.

"As a recruitment tool, I can see the show 'Trauma' working to bring a whole cadre of irresponsible, egotistical, careless, and unethical recruits to the service," McEvoy said.

Full article here

opps couldn't that to work right...modern technology is going to be my downfall.

http://www.ems1.com/ems-news/594904-drama-over-trauma-the-ems-backlash/

Currently back in the land of the living and decided to try and watch it last night for first time.

I turned it off after they saved the kid with the narcan IM injection...just way too much for me. So about 5 minutes or so?

I can not believe the show has made it this far...

The chick jogging by and popping eyes back in..WTF?? I thought she was one of the medics cause I havent watched the show yet but imagine my surprise when the arriving medic asks who she is...after she tells him how to treat his patient and her response is "I am an EMT and helicopter pilot"...ummm yeh...please this just sucks ass!!

What an absolutely ridiculous show...

OK, let me take them in order, as I was taking notes...

1) As noted, popping the eyeballs back in, instead of doing the gauze donut and cup trick? Even my Paramedics cannot do that one, so far out of (local) protocols!

2) Cute, Rabbit with the phony eyeballs on springs.

3) They must have a scriptwriter connected with the Johnny Test cartoon, "Sure didn't see that one comin'". The way the family was talking, I thought there was going to be a domestic fight, as they focused on the carving knife on the table, just before the car drove into the room (must have made a wrong turn at the kitchen?).

4)Madam EMT/Pilot is getting bloodthirsty, and is looking for jobs to go on. That is a New-Jack tendency, for sure.

5) See Johnny Test reference again: You thought the skate boarder was going to either get creamed by the cars, or cause a car crash. Nope, instead, he flipped over the safety railing, and rolled down the hill.

6) While I have heard of the hypothermia treatment, it's for cardiac patients, not spinal involvements. Also, even local protocol by me doesn't do it IV, just cooling the body under armpits and on groin with ice packs.

7) Doc yelled at Rabbit for unsanctioned out of protocol treatment. Good! Doc congratulates Rabbit for the save with same out of protocol treatment. Qualified bad!

8) I kind of like the colored tarps for MCI Triage. Add similarly flags, so if covered by bodies, and run with it.

9) How many times is a Medevac or LEO helicopter going to land on a random roof, before one gives way under the weight or vibrations?

10) I am against cell phone conversations from ambulance crews anyway, but texting during an MCI? My partner once got a cell phone call from the EMT driving another unit, telling us what we already knew from listening to dispatch radio: He was on a call!

11) Same Paramedic got text message now compromised, as family member now directly involved. What does you local protocol(s) say on having a service member on a potentially dangerous to member scene, when either a family member, or a partner, is in danger? Keep them away, allow them to work the scene, or what?

11-A)I'll launch a separate string on that soon.

12 Due to his compromise with family member endangered, he abandoned his post! I don't know about your protocols, but EMS doesn't enter a known live gunfire scene without an EMS supervisor, in communication with a LEO supervisor, giving authorization first.

13) Leaving good cover from gunfire to treat a patient is never a good idea, especially when you have no idea where the shooter is at.

14) Vests (soft body armor)cover the trunk, ballistic military helmets cover the head, but even this kevlar setup leaves the wearer open to a face shot.

15) Someone else noted Rabbit caught a shot to the vest, knocking him down. I'm told it is akin to being hit in the chest by a baseball bat wielded by Reggie Jackson in his prime NY Yankees days. You might get up, but with several busted ribs.

16) Please note, once again, I call it soft body armor, not bullet-proof vest, as, with the kevlar "cop-killer" bullets available, the protective vests work, but only to a point, and they will be penetrated, and the wearer ventilated.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.