TRAUMA Premiere, 20 Sep 09

Dustdevil

Sure, its no Law and Order, but i find it slightly entertaining. There are much worse shows on television these days if you ask me. There isnt much else on the tube on Monday nights anyway.

Ive been a bartender for most of my adult life, and the movie "Cocktail" with Tom Cruise is a terrible portrayal of what its like in this business. But its still worth watching. "Trauma" feels the same way to me. I agree that the character development needs some work, but people say this about almost every new show, because we have no idea who they are yet.

Bartender? One question how long have you been in active full time 911 EMS and at what level? I'm just asking because if you function as a volunteer that shows up occasionally to calls (and no guys I'm not knocking good volunteers - I'm knocking the ones that show up to just the "cool" calls or once a month or so just long enough to say they are still on the dept)I hardly think you have enough scope of the profession to form a qualifying opinion, nor to understand why those of us that do the job for a living are a bit disturbed with what is portrayed.

Edited by fireflymedic
  • Like 1

How old are you anyway?

Im 28

Bartender? One question how long have you been in active full time 911 EMS and at what level? I'm just asking because if you function as a volunteer that shows up occasionally to calls (and no guys I'm not knocking good volunteers - I'm knocking the ones that show up to just the "cool" calls or once a month or so just long enough to say they are still on the dept)I hardly think you have enough scope of the profession to form a qualifying opinion, nor to understand why those of us that do the job for a living are a bit disturbed with what is portrayed.

You're right, im not a full timer, i havent been around the block and seen it all, but im not claiming to. Im just a volunteer EMT-B and havent been working for long at all, ill be starting medic school next semester. But ive chosen this as a career because i love it, not so i can tell people that i save lives for a living. I sure as hell didnt choose this career path for the money! Its going to be quite a pay cut from bartending.

I definately dont have enough scope of the profession yet to be as mad as you guys about the show, and i can see how most of you are upset, im just not seeing why people are SO mad. Its just TV to me. There are other shows out there that offend or annoy me, but im not going to boycott them, i just wont watch them. Im not trying to argue with anyone's opinion of the show because we are all entitled to our own opinions, i was simply leaving mine. Is it a great show? Of course not. Does it offend some EMS workers? Absolutely. Ive just never been one to let a TV show get to me.

Edited by 2Rude4MyOwnGood
  • Like 1

'2Rude4MyOwnGood'

Im 28

You're right, im not a full timer, i havent been around the block and seen it all, but im not claiming to. Im just a volunteer EMT-B and havent been working for long at all, ill be starting medic school next semester. But ive chosen this as a career because i love it, not so i can tell people that i save lives for a living. I sure as hell didnt choose this career path for the money! Its going to be quite a pay cut from bartending.

So you used to put the drunks behind the wheel now your going to save them ? hmmm ok this is plausible, sure hope you have put away some tips I hope to get through school ...just saying its a bloody shame that you guys are not paid decently and that the volunteer service are undercutting you ... honestly after 4 years on this site I can see THAT light.

I definately dont have enough scope of the profession yet to be as mad as you guys about the show, and i can see how most of you are upset, im just not seeing why people are SO mad. Its just TV to me. There are other shows out there that offend or annoy me, but im not going to boycott them, i just wont watch them. Im not trying to argue with anyone's opinion of the show because we are all entitled to our own opinions, i was simply leaving mine. Is it a great show? Of course not. Does it offend some EMS workers? Absolutely. Ive just never been one to let a TV show get to me.

Firstly if you have actually spent > 25 years doing this job I believe your personal sensitivities would be a bit more affected, we are not "mad" we are using the pen as it can be more effective than the sword, this is a TV show that disrespects the profession and yet unfortunately many viewers are keyed into the just the blood, guts, glory and explosions and will believe it is closer to a documentary and again geared to the grade 8 education that most TV shows are focused ie SEX + Fast cars + Explosions = Success in TV ..meh ... I watch Discovery and documentaries and TLC, or the military channel the demographics are a changing in the viewing public.

Fact of the matter is the real call volume is NOT TRAUMA at all it is complex metabolic problems, cardiac and seizures that are the top of the hit parade (not sexy in the slightest btw)the vast majority of calls, ETOH being the underlying social problem, I wonder if that "theme" will surface hey and lets not forget my favorite type call ... retuning the grannies back home AFTER they have recovered ... nothing better in my books.

Many times EMS is like urinating in a dark pair of pants ... You do get that warm all over feeling, but YOU hope no one notices.

This show needs better writers, that listen to advisors and a real big name to become truly successful TV series (we can only hope) I like Will Smith .. ever see "Seven Pounds" just saying RABBIT is headed to the stew pot if he shows his face around any true professionals in EMS, I love how they kill off and very unexpectedly the CSI "special agents" just to keep it real, cause that is real life for cops and if the producers are watching maybe they will take a hint :devilish:

Secondly your NOT going to watch the show BUT your NOT boycotting ?? I am a bit confused :rolleyes2:

Now a reality check will a "boycott work ?" .. NO is the short answer.

Bledsoe stepping up to the plate and just suggesting that, well it WILL send a message count on it!

Rock ON BEB !

• Like 1

>> Its just TV to me<<

The power of television has been debated ad nauseum since Felix the Cat first appeared in early TV demonstrations.

The bottom line however is we are so overexposed to TV it might be hard for us to realize how much it does manage our perceptions. Especially in younger people. There are several young EMTs in the Paramedic Prep class I'm attending that are all ga-ga over EMS air transport. They know little to nothing about aircrew safety statistics, the over triage, especially in pediatric cases, of many patients, and the exsisting studies that show lack of improvement in patient outcomes. What they do see is the percieved glamor, and in the case of one female student, how cool she'll look in that flightsuit.

And she actually said it was the show "Trauma" that peaked her interest. She's a EMT in a small IFT company and I don't think she's even seen a helicopter up close.

Skepticism, in most of us, only comes with age and experience. So to say, in effect, TV is just TV is a stretch for the general population. It's more about what information we take in, and the quaility of that information, not its source. For example "Emergency" vs "Trauma" - one good - one bad - and both from the same source, television.

If viewing TV was a medical procedure we'd have to call it invasive. And if we spent more of our spare time reading peer-reviewed EMS journals instead of watching TV we'd all be better off . . .

NickD :)

• Like 3

What they do see is the percieved glamor, and in the case of one female student, how cool she'll look in that flightsuit.

And she actually said it was the show "Trauma" that peaked her interest. She's a EMT in a small IFT company and I don't think she's even seen a helicopter up close.

NickD :)

Good Grief, my worse nightmare come true .... a helo is just another mode of transport, and yes the stats are shocking as of late .... best let that student review the FAA releases on the investigations.

But are you saying : “She’s fat, smells bad, and looks like Stalin” too ? :punk:

NickD : yes agreed skepticism does come with age and experience but then again so does situational irony .... I have sent your "homework project" to many worldwide offshore medics and the general concesis is that a change of clothing required after "EMS peer review" I certainly hope the Producers of this show get the link, AND hopefully they are now "lurkers" on EMT city, one can only hope.

cheers

RABBIT is headed to the stew pot if he shows his face around any true professionals in EMS...

ROFL! :lol:

And most likely never will.

The bottom line however is we are so overexposed to TV it might be hard for us to realize how much it does manage our perceptions. Especially in younger people. There are several young EMTs in the Paramedic Prep class I'm attending that are all ga-ga over EMS air transport. They know little to nothing about aircrew safety statistics, the over triage, especially in pediatric cases, of many patients, and the exsisting studies that show lack of improvement in patient outcomes. What they do see is the percieved glamor, and in the case of one female student, how cool she'll look in that flightsuit.

Beautifully stated Nick. HEMS is not the glory area that many perceive it to be. Much of it is being a very expensive IFT (think rural metro with rotors at times). Yes there is over triage and not every patient is acutely dying. I had one impression and found it to be something entirely different. That was even with significant exposure to it and speaking at length with several already in the field. Truthfully depending on the structure of your service, your breakdown may be as little as 20% scene flights. At best I would say is 40% scene. It's different when you go in and you are excited they already have a line because you are trying to figure out what to do with the carousel of drips. Most in the field will tell you the same thing. Also, understand that when helicopters crash they tend to do so with significant speed and injuries are typically bad, if not fatal. Pushing weather and safety minimums only contribute to this. The recent crashes make this an all to common reality lately. She may think she looks cool in that flight suit, but if she goes into things blindly if she ever does make it to a flight service, she needs to be certain it is with a safe one otherwise she'll need to be asking herself how cool do I look in that casket ?

Not trying to be harsh, but people need a reality check about it and realize it's not the glamour job people portray it out to be. Pay isn't as great as many think it is. In fact, many take a pay cut in order to fly. Yeah, it's fun, I wouldn't deny that, but there's more to things than that. Always stay safe.

I watched most of the last "trauma" it was ok. We made fun of it and enjoyed it, don't think I will wait on pins and needles for the next episode. It was like "backdraft" it was silly but it was mental chewing gum. And here is the weird part the PR of these shows, yeah there inaccurate but it gets the profession in front of the voters and that's where you get funded. Yeah sex sells, yeah big explosions sell who gives a shit push your agendas threw whatever venue you can. Look at smoke jumpers it is the peak of wildland firefighting to become one and you can fill the ranks of hotshot crews and engine bosses with aspiring smoke jumpers. The funny part is if you ask a smoke jumper he will tell you it's just a cool ride to work then he's another pulaski motor. Flight medics get much the same a few vacancies will inspire a lot of kids to become good at there profession and do a lot of good work for a shot at the dream.

I think you guys are all up in arms for nothing.

-The medicine will never be 100% accurate in a show like this, we're just going to have to get over it. For the lay public (read: the vast majority of the viewership), the medicine is just a backdrop anyways. Nobody really cares whether it was actually VF on the monitor or if you treat it with analgesics versus electricity or whatever. That stuff is esoteric detail that is only really important to a minority of viewers already in the know.

-EMS workers are not so "professional and dedicated" that it is a sin to portray their moments of weakness. The NREMT is upset because the show had a scene that involved a paramedic driving under the influence. What is the assumption here, that such a thing cannot and does not happen? Get over yourselves. We're not special, we fall victim to the same mistakes everyone else does.

-Say what you will about the so called profound effect television has on the hearts and minds of the viewing public, but I don't think there is any real expectation out there that the show is a perfect portrayal of EMS. Police officers on Law and Order routinely abuse suspects and break the law, House MD crosses the line on every single episode, and most car chases on TV break the laws of physics on a regular basis. Viewers don't bat an eye. Shows like this aren't about reality, more like hyper reality, and the viewers know it.

- Count your lucky stars. At least the characters on this show all seem genuinely interested in their work, are compassionate towards patients and dedicated to providing (at least what the show considers) quality medical care. These providers have excellent, direct working relationships with doctors and nurses, and the profession is portrayed as an essential and necessary component of our medical system. That's a BIG step from being an "ambulance driver," guys.

• Like 1

'fiznat'

<snip>

So are You saying its WRONG to demand/hope that the accuracy of medicine will ever be improved or realistically portrayed on TV and its acceptable to observe a flat line on a monitor when even with the crew is using electricity ? .. come on really please, you as most others could have fallen into the trap of TV mindless escapism. Heck my Son who is 17 knows the difference and WHY is because of the great work done by the Public Access to Defibrillator(s)

These comments smack of apathy and no offence but just accepting a "status quo" is getting really damn lame in my books, societally speaking. Point being that Holly Rude will ride the horse of complacency and inaccuracy and follow the equation sex + explosions = success until something changes ... I am hoping the messages sent via electronic media could be a positive influence, well thats my wish for today.

- Count your lucky stars. At least the characters on this show all seem genuinely interested in their work, are compassionate towards patients and dedicated to providing (at least what the show considers) quality medical care. These providers have excellent, direct working relationships with doctors and nurses, and the profession is portrayed as an essential and necessary component of our medical system. That's a BIG step from being an "ambulance driver," guys.

Well you do make a point there but I have only seen episode # uno ... in episode #2 has the FAA determined that landing a medium on a roof top was against the regs ? Have the police looked into the drunk that lost his finger because Rabbit was driving like an idiot? Has the medical director looked at the records on the monitor to see that protocol was not followed. Ok I could go on but my waffle is ready ....

cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.