Greetings from Ireland

irish medic

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I trained (Northeastern in the OBI) with a few guys who ended up in or around Limerick. I'm a bit of a lurker here, do more reading than writing. Is Limerick busy?

Limerick would be one of the busiest ambulance stations outside of Dublin. Approx 35,000 emergency calls last year. For my american brethren this figure would not include Dr's calls or Patient Transport work which we also have to do. We work this amount of calls with 13 crews of 2. 3 ambulances on days, 2 ambulances on nights.

greetings from the usa, my cuz was living in limerick working with the fisheries. which rebel county? since some may argue that there are 32 rebel counties. but im guessing you are from one of the 6 northern perhaps derry. but welcome aboard

slan go foill

Cheers for the welcome, the rebel county is slang for Cork.

I was interested in Ireland. Thanks for any info?

Regards.

As the other poster stated, www.phecc.ie

Currently there is two standards in Ireland.

1) Paramedic which would be somewhere in between the American EMT-B & EMT-I levels

This takes two yrs to complete

2) Advanced Paramedic which would be the equivalent of your Paramedic level

You have to be 5yrs post qualified as a Paramedic before you can go onto the AP programme which entails another fulltime year of clinical, practical & theory placements.

woohooo GO IRISH! Not a Notre Damn fan or anything. I would love to visit Ireland some day. My family history dates back to there and Hungary.

Cheers for the welcome Firemedic

Limerick would be one of the busiest ambulance stations outside of Dublin. Approx 35,000 emergency calls last year. For my american brethren this figure would not include Dr's calls or Patient Transport work which we also have to do. We work this amount of calls with 13 crews of 2. 3 ambulances on days, 2 ambulances on nights.

Cheers for the welcome, the rebel county is slang for Cork.

As the other poster stated, www.phecc.ie

Currently there is two standards in Ireland.

1) Paramedic which would be somewhere in between the American EMT-B & EMT-I levels

This takes two yrs to complete

2) Advanced Paramedic which would be the equivalent of your Paramedic level

You have to be 5yrs post qualified as a Paramedic before you can go onto the AP programme which entails another fulltime year of clinical, practical & theory placements.

Cheers for the welcome Firemedic

yeah i was also thinking of going to try to work overthere myself. i know on that website you provided you have to have a recomandation of your present employer. unfortunatly mine doesn't speak/ understand english to well. my boss is russian. like many private ambulance companies here in philadelphia. i already have my dual citizenship usa/ irish and my irish passport.

yeah i was also thinking of going to try to work overthere myself. i know on that website you provided you have to have a recomandation of your present employer. unfortunatly mine doesn't speak/ understand english to well. my boss is russian. like many private ambulance companies here in philadelphia. i already have my dual citizenship usa/ irish and my irish passport.

Tam,

Can I ask are you an EMT-B, EMT-I or EMT-P?. Irish ems had only really taken off over the last 5 yrs. Up to then the only level in the service was EMT-B (not like your EMT-B more like your EMT-I). We are progressing at a fast pace, with new skills & meds coming online every year. There is private ambulance companies in Ireland but they generally do not run emergency calls (they might be needed to fill the odd shift around the country but that's about it), they generally do intra hospital transfers & patient transport services.

We on the other hand are the Emergency Service for the whole country (except in Dublin where Dublin City Fire & Rescue also provide an Emergency Ambulance Service under contract to the HSE National Ambulance Service).

Depending on where you are stationed dictates your call volume. Some rural stations might only do 500 calls a year but would have increased transportation times (generally one hour) to the nearest facility. Dublin, Cork & Limerick would have the greatest call volume (not necessarily in the order I've listed).

Starting pay for a student paramedic in Ireland is approx 42,708 dollars a yr plus Cardiac allowance & shift allowance. This is the minimum level needed to work an emergency ambulance in Ireland (would fall between your EMT-B & EMT-I levels).

You could always email Phecc in relation to your problem with the reference

If there's any other info you need feel free to ask

Keep safe on the streets

Edited by irish medic

hey, i am a nremt b ( emt-B). unfortunatly at this time i am stuck doing transports usually dialysis transports. once in a while we will get a call from a nursing home that wants to send someone to the e.r. for shortness of breathe or chest pains. of course if we see something on the street and first on the scene we will stop and do what we can. but for right now im am not doing 911 calls and can only blame myself for that. i have to get uncomfortable in order to grow.

so in your opinion since i really just do transports and only an emt b do you think i have any chance of going over there and getting a job with an ambulance company or doing your ( eire) 911. also i would want to go somewhere in or near galway if possible since that is where the majority of my cousins live now and would want to be near them. do you know if there is any exchange programs? also last but def not least. perhaps the most important. in your honest opinion what are the chances of an american doing ems over there. and wheather doing ems or not im going back to the motherland of eire. to beautiful not to.

do you think i have any chance of going over there and getting a job with an ambulance company or doing your ( eire) 911. also i would want to go somewhere in or near galway if possible since that is where the majority of my cousins live now and would want to be near them. do you know if there is any exchange programs? also last but def not least. perhaps the most important. in your honest opinion what are the chances of an american doing ems over there. and wheather doing ems or not im going back to the motherland of eire. to beautiful not to.

If it is something you are serious about, I would consider going for paramedic in the US. Then, apply to PHECC to see if you can gain registration though their equivalency program [more here]. As you can see, each application will be based upon personal merit, and you will have to show proof of similar training and education from your own system. The more you have to offer, the more chance you will have of your application being approved.

Looks like a long slog, but the fact that you already have an EU passport, puts you 99.9999% ahead of those dreamers who think they don't need to worry about visas and work permits to work abroad. Most of the really hard work is already done for you.

Good luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.