Greetings from Ireland

irish medic

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey, i am a nremt b ( emt- B) . unfortunatly at this time i am stuck doing transports usually dialysis transports. once in a while we will get a call from a nursing home that wants to send someone to the e.r. for shortness of breathe or chest pains. of course if we see something on the street and first on the scene we will stop and do what we can. but for right now im am not doing 911 calls and can only blame myself for that. i have to get uncomfortable in order to grow.

so in your opinion since i really just do transports and only an emt b do you think i have any chance of going over there and getting a job with an ambulance company or doing your ( eire) 911. also i would want to go somewhere in or near galway if possible since that is where the majority of my cousins live now and would want to be near them. do you know if there is any exchange programs? also last but def not least. perhaps the most important. in your honest opinion what are the chances of an american doing ems over there. and wheather doing ems or not im going back to the motherland of eire. to beautiful not to.

Tamaith.

Apologies for the late reply. I know plenty of americans who have come over here & worked with us. Some like it, some don't. All I can suggest is that you make contact with PHECC. See if the process works for you & where you would fit in on the PHECC register. Depending on your training etc, you might find out that you would qualify as an Irish Paramedic (see my earlier post for distinction between the two grades here). This is the minimum level needed to crew an Emergency Frontline Ambulance (responding to 911calls) If not you should be able to find work with one of the privates. I can let you know who the good ones are. You don't want to work for the rubbish ones.

On a final note, please be aware that we operate a mixture between the Amercian & UK ems models. Whilst it's not perfect, we are progressing so you might find a difference in the way we do things but the craic is mighty, guiness is good & we are very friendly :lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.