Large Pateint, No Elevator

joesph

You respond to a 4 story apartment complex with you partner for a sick call. The patient is on the 4th floor (of course). You walk into the lobby and see to your left a 'out of order' sign on the elevator. So you hump your way to the 4th floor to find your patient. It is a 400 lbs female patient who is pale and sweaty. Pulse 42, resperations 12, blood pressure 103/54 o2 sats 95. Chief complaint is weakness and nausea. Oh yeah her is the fun part she is very limited in mobility. So know the question is what do you do and what equipment do you usually take with you and what are you going to have to go back to the bus for. This followed with how the hell are you going to get her down the stairs.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

400lb is only 180 kilos, man, five of us lifted a guy who was 297kg (about 700lbs)

I usually take in the oxygen, first in backpack and monitor (about 30kg all up)

My plan (I suspect this may be some sort of cardiac event)

- SAMPLE, vitals, ECG, O2 @ 4 on an NC, maybe get an IV going

- Bring up the trusty Ferno stair chair

- Fire Department for lifting assistance and down the stairs!

I wish we had one of those.

Tried a prototype, liked it, but of course, the department won't spend the money.

Too bad..thats a shame.

Any simple research will show that the cost of those devices are cheaper than 1 (one) single provider back injury involving lost time and rehab.

Ropes and a Stokes.. We have one of those nice Stryker chairs w/ the tracks at one service I run w/.. and the other has the early 80's version of the Ferno Stair Chair. I hate these things, they're a back injury waiting to happen.

This is an actual scenario for me. 620lbs woman in respiratory distress, non-ambulatory. Broken elevator and on the 3rd floor. Call placed to fire department after a few phone calls to supervisors etc she was brought out on a tarp with handles essentially (forget the actual name of the item) The fire department placed her on the device and dragged her down the stairs. The type of material and the floor made the drag really easy. The stairs they lifted her as best as possible but it was still a bit of a drag.

When she was released from hospital I was working IFT and was called to transfer her home with our bariatric unit (which was JUST repaired). Thankfully the elevator was working and we had no issues getting her home.