Chest decompression question

clincomedic

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to the original problem ................ your boss is being unprofessional by discussing counseling issues with other employees. I would file a grievance with your HR department or whoever is above him (other chief, county administrator, or whoever controls his budget) --- unless he is the owner of a private service, he has a boss he has to answer to. You should quit and find a more professional place to work.

Back to the original problem ................ your boss is being unprofessional by discussing counseling issues with other employees. I would file a grievance with your HR department or whoever is above him (other chief, county administrator, or whoever controls his budget) --- unless he is the owner of a private service, he has a boss he has to answer to. You should quit and find a more professional place to work.

Why tell her/him to quit? This would be a fine opportunity to get the boss fired and then JUMP right into the boss's job.

Why tell her/him to quit? This would be a fine opportunity to get the boss fired and then JUMP right into the boss's job.

But the white OP is picking on the Minority boss. How dare you question us minoritys? Tell him crotch. :P

Edited by spenac

Dart the boss. make sure no witnesses. or a bitch slap. Just kidding. He might cry. Be safe. cheers. I am going to make a T-shirt that says dart the boss. He probably wont laugh to much.

But the look on his face Priceless.

I always get good ideas from EMT city.

I think you made the right choice. We decompress Tension pneumothorax, (Absent lung sounds, SOB, JVD, Decreased BP, and Altered mentation,) Not pneumothorax decreased Lung sounds With some pain there is a big difference. Maybe the deviation was just the clavicle deformed? Herbie nailed it, tracheal deviation is a very late sign. It sound like you boss needs to hit the books! PHTLS is a good place to start. Im in the same boat with my boss keep your head up and move on.

Does anyone else hate the term "Dart him"

It sounds so juvenile.......

I rank it right up with calling an ambulance a "Bus" on my {Things that annoy me} scale.

Dart doesn't bother me, the McSwain Dart was around for a while for performing cx decompression, so I can see why the term stuck.

Should have kept reading before writing....

The term DART is one of endearment as the McSwain Dart has its roots deep in EMS History and Dr. McSwain was the innovator of PHTLS (just in passing) He was instrumental in obtaining a U.S. Department of Transportation grant to establish the state's first paramedic program. The program was coordinated through the School of Medicine's Department of Surgery, and McSwain became the first medical director for the state bureau of EMS. Since then, he's remained one of the nation's--and the world's--foremost figures in emergency medicine and trauma care.

Well... I have to call bullshit on this one, I've never heard of the McSwain dart before, and I'm willing to guess that most who use the colloquial term "dart em" are not referring to it as some whimsical, sentimental tribute to a grandfather of modern paramedicine; "As I pass this DART into your chest, lets have a moment of silence in honor of the great Dr. McSwain." I would bet that it became part of our EMS nomenclature because of it's resemblance to an actual dart being thrust into a dartboard.

However, in your case tniuqs, I'll make an exception.

Well... I have to call bullshit on this one, I've never heard of the McSwain dart before, and I'm willing to guess that most who use the colloquial term "dart em" are not referring to it as some whimsical, sentimental tribute to a grandfather of modern paramedicine; "As I pass this DART into your chest, lets have a moment of silence in honor of the great Dr. McSwain." I would bet that it became part of our EMS nomenclature because of it's resemblance to an actual dart being thrust into a dartboard.

However, in your case tniuqs, I'll make an exception.

I did some reading and sure enough, tniuqs is right..... BUT

I am sure if we took a random pole of 100 practicing Paramedics, the number of those ever having heard of the McSwain dart would be small.

What bothers me is the dart in the dartboard reference that most Paramedics are making. Much like the OP saying "pop him".... I am quite sure he is not making a reference to the Dr.Doolittle chest POP decompression needle. He is using slang.

I am just being picky and trivial...... all in good fun!!

Edited by mobey

I did some reading and sure enough, tniuqs is right..... BUT

I am sure if we took a random pole of 100 practicing Paramedics, the number of those ever having heard of the McSwain dart would be small.

What bothers me is the dart in the dartboard reference that most Paramedics are making. Much like the OP saying "pop him".... I am quite sure he is not making a reference to the Dr.Doolittle chest POP decompression needle. He is using slang.

I am just being picky and trivial...... all in good fun!!

Been in the business for nearly 30 years and I have never heard the term "dart 'em".

Flutter valve- yes.

Then again, never heard the ambulance described as "bus" or "truck" either but clearly that's a term specific to certain areas. We use "rig" or "ambo" around here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.