Dangerous Equipment

Well, I know it is not the KED or the Scoop stretcher... cuz no-one ever uses them!

My money is on the door catcher in the top-middle of the rear door that I smash my head or back on about one-third of the times I get in or out of the ambulance.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I know it is not the KED or the Scoop stretcher... cuz no-one ever uses them!

I use the scoop all the time. I prefer it to the LSB. Also any suspected hip or pelvic fx is getting it over the long board.

My money is on the Ambulance itself. North American ambulance designs are awful for safety and the idiots that are allowed to drive them in some areas only compound that.

I use the scoop all the time. I prefer it to the LSB. Also any suspected hip or pelvic fx is getting it over the long board.

Ditto, I love the scoop although there are times when an LSB is more practical (vehicle extrication for example)

Ooh! Someone want to guess how much I won in scratch tickets today? Never play- ever!!

(Seemed just about as relevant..)

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I'm guessing -$20. At least. To have won $0 you would have had to "win" enough to break even. Judging by the warning to never play-ever and the double exclaimation points that didn't happen. That's why I love the crossword and bingo tickets. At least I get to have fun being a loser.

As far as this mysterious peice of equipment in the back hurting, killing, and maiming EMS workers I'm not going to drive myself nuts trying to figure it out. I guarantee you that at some point every peice of equipment back there has injured someone.

Actually, the scoop is my favorite piece of equipment on the ambulance... my post was more a commentary on the lack of familiarity that most in EMS have with some of the equipment that could make their lives a lot easier if they knew how to use it.

I believe there was a thread a few years ago started on what the most undervalued piece of equipment was... and my answer was the scoop... but my memory is a bit foggy these days.

Just tell me that you are not referring to the notably most dangerous part of any vehicle:

The loose nut behind the wheel.

Oh Richard I thought Momma J took your keys am I gonna have to call her again?????/ :lol::lol::lol:

This is an easy one. The doodad that secures the monitor, or the O2 tanks, or the cot. It doesn't hold well enough, $h!t goes flying and folks get whacked with it, either during a hard stop or a wreck.

That'd be my guess. Ooh! Someone want to guess how much I won in scratch tickets today? Never play- ever!!

(Seemed just about as relevant..)

Wendy

CO EMT-B

The monitor flying was going to be my guess. Had a paramedic in my service get hit with one. No good times.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for reviving a dead post, but I am curious. What was that piece of equipment? And no drivel about law suits. This is a open forum of opinion and all you have to do is tell us what thing you were researching. No legal liability there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.