Public Housing success stories

HERBIE1

These are stories about people who grew up in public housing back in the 50's and 60's. Note the diversity here. Jews, Italians, blacks, whites, immigrants- with common roots. Note what they say about HOW and WHY they succeeded. Note the descriptions of their backgrounds, influences, and role models. Note that not a single one of them blames the "white man" or racism for anything. Note that they all had a desire to change their circumstances and they were willing to put forth an effort to do it.

Selected quotes:

"People did not understand that Jane Addams in the 1940s and 1950s was a safe place where families, many of them of Italian descent like him, gathered in their yards in the summer. Everyone knew one another, and families like his were common -- the men worked two or three jobs to make ends meet while their wives stayed home. Basile, however, always wanted more for himself."

and

"Back then, public housing was not viewed as last-resort housing. When we moved in, it was a big deal. We were moving up from the tenements," said Brady, 60, one of seven children whose father was a postal worker and mother stayed home. "I didn't really understand how poor we were in comparison to other people."

Sounds pretty "middle class" to me.

And this from the CEO of Chicago's Public Housing, who grew up as a resident there...

"I find more times than not, this look of surprise when people talk about where they came from and what they have achieved," Jordan said. "It is important to tell these stories so others can know that by working hard, having good people around you and a whole lot of luck, anything can be accomplished."

From Dick Portillo, founder of a nationwide chain of fast food places:

For most of his young life, Dick Portillo's universe consisted of row houses on Mohawk Street known then as the Mother Frances Cabrini housing project, later called Cabrini-Green.

"We didn't have material things. We never went on vacation," said Portillo, 69, whose father did everything from selling insurance to working in factories while his mother raised him and two siblings. "I don't remember being sad. We didn't have steak or fast food, but we ate. We didn't know we were poor because nobody in the projects had any money."

from a playwright and founder of a black theater group:

"It's not about where you are from, it is about how open you are to understanding that there is more to the world around you than you can hear, see or feel."

Taylor said she had all kinds of role models, good and bad, growing up in the 1960s. Her challenge was to decide which she would emulate.

"I had role models who said, 'Let's get pregnant and live in the projects and have a good time.' I had role models who said, 'No, you want to be someone, you want to have things and make it in the world because you have something to offer.' I had both sides, and I think the majority of us have both sides."

According to Taylor, the projects are no different than the rest of the world. Many of the problems that exist there can also be found in communities that have lots of money.

And this is my favorite, taken from his obituary and directly applicable to this forum. I had the pleasure of knowing this man. He was a true gentleman, fair, honest, and ALWAYS willing to help anyone. I have even referenced his textbooks in my teachings.

Mr. Crane grew up in the Ida B. Wells public housing complex on the South Side and graduated from Dunbar High School, where he met his future wife, Lois.

Here is link to his obituary. His resume and accomplishments would make any scholar envious.

www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-hed-bcranejul08,0,4881774.story

chicagotribune.com

BENNIE L. CRANE 1935-2009

Bennie L. Crane, 1935-2009: Retired Chicago district fire chief

Mentor to fellow firefighters

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You cite the exception, not the rule. For every success story you have, I have thousands who are/were in prison, became teen moms, were murdered, and/or joined a gang. But don't take my word for it, go spend the night in your local housing project, and tell me how good you slept.

You cite the exception, not the rule. For every success story you have, I have thousands who are/were in prison, became teen moms, were murdered, and/or joined a gang. But don't take my word for it, go spend the night in your local housing project, and tell me how good you slept.

I HAVE lived in the projects, both as a kid and as an adult, and I slept just fine! I slept as well there as I did under an overpass, or while living out of my car. Do you see me blaming anyone else for my misfortunes?

Whether a person goes to prison, joins a gang or uses/abuses drugs is a PERSONAL CHOICE! You have the option of staying in school, actually putting work into your education and becoming a 'useful member of society', or you can opt to become a burden, do nothing to change the current cycle of things and then blame everyone around you for your own laziness.

It really burns me up to see people who are on welfare living in a better house, driving a better car and has all the latest 'toys', when I'm out there working my arse off at 2 or 3 jobs just to 'get by' and cover the absolute basic necessities! Then to hear them cry 'racism' because of their lot in life, and yet they do NOTHING to change it!

Far too many cry 'racism' when they're the ones who are victimizing themselves! Just because someone uses a word that you don't like, or doesn't get involved in interracial relationships does NOT make them a 'racist'. Even your 'the white man is keeping me from becoming "__________" is racism! Please explain to the whole class why only WHITES can be 'racists'!

For all the whining and crying about your current situation.....what have you REALLY done to change things? What have you done to 'break the cycle'? From what I've seen here, all you do is point fingers and cry 'not fair!', while expecting everything to be handed to you on a silver platter. Life doesn't work that way, and the sooner you realize that you actually have to put forth an HONEST effort, NOTHING will change!

Like someone in one of those articles said who DID make it out, your situation does not define who you are or what you can become. You can decide to stay where you are, in the same situation, and continue the cycle, or do something to help yourself.

So explain to me WHY those "exceptions" are even possible? By your reasoning, these "exceptions" should not even exist.

I'll give you a little hint- it's about CHOICE, and time after time, those "thousands" you cite made the wrong choices.

BTW- I've spent my whole career in and out of projects. As bad as they are, they aren't even the worst areas to live. Besides, those projects are rapidly becoming a thing of the past around here- Section 8 and housing vouchers have spread these folks all over the place. Nice places to visit, but I'll pass on taking up residence there. The obvious reasons- violence, drugs, and the fact that a white guy might stand out a bit unless he was buying dope.

The not so obvious reason-

I have nothing in common with most of the residents there. I would not be content with my situation there and do everything humanly possible to get myself out of it.

Does anyone feel like we are banging our head against the wall trying to see eye to eye on this issue?

I understand Crotchity has distinct and specific beliefs and a specific mindset and that myself and many others here have another mindset.

I know it all comes down to our core beliefs.

You cannot change core beliefs and it's damned hard to try.

Does anyone feel like we are banging our head against the wall trying to see eye to eye on this issue?

I understand Crotchity has distinct and specific beliefs and a specific mindset and that myself and many others here have another mindset.

I know it all comes down to our core beliefs.

You cannot change core beliefs and it's damned hard to try.

You know Crotchity, you stated in another thread about how "... we can only learn when we are openminded. ", yet you blatantly REFUSE to admit that any other point of view (other than your own) has any merit whatsoever.

Ruffles,

Robert Heinlein said it best: "Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time, and it annoys the pig."

It is interesting to see the comment "these are the exception..." My commentary here, although directed specifically at Crotchity, I hope is food for thought for others as well...

We see exceptions every day in our work, and we rejoice in those exceptions.... the cancer patient who is only given 3 months to live, who lives more than a year, and has productive time with family during that year... the MI patient who you resuscitated and thought they wouldn't make it through the night, who recovered and went home a week later..... the seriously injured victim hit by a drunk driver, who recovered... these are all exceptions, and we rejoice in every one of them.

Why then, is it so difficult to rejoice in those who are "the exceptions" in other areas of life? Those who worked hard and not only made a better life for themselves, but also made a better life for others along the way? Why can those people not be used as the example to strive for, rather than just saying "they are an exception" and not using them as an example of something that CAN be accomplished?

These are exactly the people that SHOULD be used as an example. These are exactly the people who SHOULD be held up as examples to those who live in poorer neighborhoods. Maybe if people stopped saying "they are the exception and I will never be able to do what they did" and started saying "if they can do it, I can too" the excuses about gangs, and drugs, and poor neighborhoods, and poor education, and low incomes would disappear.

These people are proof that if you say "I can" instead of "I can't" success is truly possible.

It is interesting to see the comment "these are the exception..." My commentary here, although directed specifically at Crotchity, I hope is food for thought for others as well...

We see exceptions every day in our work, and we rejoice in those exceptions.... the cancer patient who is only given 3 months to live, who lives more than a year, and has productive time with family during that year... the MI patient who you resuscitated and thought they wouldn't make it through the night, who recovered and went home a week later..... the seriously injured victim hit by a drunk driver, who recovered... these are all exceptions, and we rejoice in every one of them.

Why then, is it so difficult to rejoice in those who are "the exceptions" in other areas of life? Those who worked hard and not only made a better life for themselves, but also made a better life for others along the way? Why can those people not be used as the example to strive for, rather than just saying "they are an exception" and not using them as an example of something that CAN be accomplished?

These are exactly the people that SHOULD be used as an example. These are exactly the people who SHOULD be held up as examples to those who live in poorer neighborhoods. Maybe if people stopped saying "they are the exception and I will never be able to do what they did" and started saying "if they can do it, I can too" the excuses about gangs, and drugs, and poor neighborhoods, and poor education, and low incomes would disappear.

These people are proof that if you say "I can" instead of "I can't" success is truly possible.

Obama is the exception to the rule you know, so we should not hold him up as a prime wonderful example of how far the black man can go. Or maybe not, he might not be a good example.

Obama is the exception to the rule you know, so we should not hold him up as a prime wonderful example of how far the black man can go. Or maybe not, he might not be a good example.

I think he should be a good example. Despite whether one agrees or disagrees with his political views or whether he is a good or bad president, the fact remains that he went from the projects to take the most powerful office in the world. It just shows that with ambition, it can be done.

I think he should be a good example. Despite whether one agrees or disagrees with his political views or whether he is a good or bad president, the fact remains that he went from the projects to take the most powerful office in the world. It just shows that with ambition, it can be done.

but doc, he's one of the exceptions which Crotchity seems to say don't count. I wholeheartedly agree on him being held up to be a fine example.

But then again, he's the exception to the rule and there are hundreds if not thousands of others being held down by the white man.