Percussion Pacing?

Anyone ever use tapping on patients chest to ?use joules? energy transfered to heart to keep somneone alive until pacing arrives? On brady pt that are circling the drain.? when nothing else

drugs/your pacer not workin wont capture.?

Very old school, and only brought up with the "you would never believe what we used to do.....High dose Epi, rapid Bicarb, Isoprell, and percussion pacing, oh yes, rotating TQ's and Alcohol down the tube in CHF..." type of discussions, IMHO.

Not saying it isnt a last distch tool, but your more likely to see it on ER, Emergency, or MASH than you are for real.

Actually, it is called "fist pacing" and yes documented to be effective as it can produce 0.4 joules. There is plenty of lit on it from AHA, Heart & lung. Way before there was TCP (up to mid 80's) this was routinely done if the patient crashed on you, and you could not immediately get a transvenous pacer in.

R/r911

Actually, it is called "fist pacing" and yes documented to be effective as it can produce 0.4 joules. There is plenty of lit on it from AHA, Heart & lung. Way before there was TCP (up to mid 80's) this was routinely done if the patient crashed on you, and you could not immediately get a transvenous pacer in.

R/r911

Agreed ... I have accomplished this on one patient ... many, many moons ago, and might as well try if their LOC decreased and no pacer available.

As for 90% ETOH in PE down the tube this too has its applications, I was reprimanded by a cardiologist after the ER MD ordered it ... funny thing the gal improved (well accept for renal failure) and it bought her 12 hours with her family .. oh well no in depth study does not mean it does't work in some cases.

cheers

Somewhat OT but a good story.

Many years ago I bringing in a patient who was presenting with classic "cardiogenic shock" As a relatively new Basic with no medics available we were high-tailing it to the ER while I was trying to keep this guy alive. Literally as we are backing into the ER the guy codes. In our haste to get our patient out of the truck and into more definitive care, we drop the stretcher. To our immense relief (and amazement) this shock caused the patient to ROSC. And yes, he was definitely pulseless and apneic before hand. Not exactly what they meant when the dinosaurs use to tell us to "thump-em" but it worked.

In our haste to get our patient out of the truck and into more definitive care, we drop the stretcher. To our immense relief (and amazement) this shock caused the patient to ROSC. And yes, he was definitely pulseless and apneic before hand.

I have heard that story many times. Seems this has happened to someone in every service....... meh

A PCT is still acceptable by ACLS in the event of a witness arrest with no defib access.

Actually, it is called "fist pacing" R/r911

I also found articles calling it cardiac percussion pacing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.