NY EMT Attacks Patient?

Dustdevil

This is bizarre. I'm betting the guy spit on the EMT or something, so I'm not judging. Just reporting.

http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/2009/Jun...rr-16Jun09.html

EMT charged with attacking restrained person

WALLKILL – Police Chief Robert Hertman doesn’t have an explanation for it, but a paid Town of Wallkill Volunteer Ambulance Corps EMT, who responded to a call to check on a person at a local motel, wound up attacking the man.

Just before 7 a.m. on Monday, Town Police officers responded to the Howard John’s Motel on Route 211 for a call requesting a welfare check of Marcos Sostre, 47, who was staying at the motel.

After arrival, a supervisor and officers determined Sostre had to be removed to the hospital for evaluation and the emergency medical service was called.

A short time later, a town ambulance arrived with EMT Michael Raimer onboard.

Sostre was handcuffed and harnessed in a “stair chair” to be moved, said Hertman.

“While he was being removed in his chair, EMT Raimer began to strike Michael Sostre in the face several times causing an injury, until uniformed on-duty officers intervened and stopped the assault,” he said.

Sostre was taken to Orange Regional Medical Center for treatment of his injuries while Raimer was charged with third-degree assault.

Heehee. Good one, Micheal! I'm curious as to what prompted him to hit the guy in the face. Just sounds very odd. You would think someone else on scene would know something. Maybe the guy slept with the EMT's wife or something.

I'd like to hear his side too.. But, I'll have a hard time siding with someone who hits a restrained person. That's like the cops beating on the MVA victim that was ejected and unresponsive. Sometimes the job gives us a shitty situation. Deal with it.

While I certainly don't condone it, I can certainly empathise with how difficult it is to resist immediately knocking the Hell out of someone if they spit on you. It's not a premeditated assault. It's not even a loss of control. It's a reflex. Before you even remember the guy is restrained, you've already dotted his eye. I can understand that.

My question is, was the patient being carried WHILE the offending incident happened? Meaning... did the EMT calmly place the stair chair lovingly to the ground, and then start throwing bombs? If it was reflexive... then he would have dropped the patient. So either the perp did the offensive bit before/after being carried... or the EMT had time to decide if he was going to obliterate the guy. This bit would be very important if I was the lawyer for either side.

Yesterday I had a pt that was ETOH, he was goofing around with his gf on bikes (surprise no helmets) and as his front tire hit her back tire off into the air he went landed on the left side of his face and his right arm did a funky twist. By the time we got there the VFD (who I truely love) did the original assesment and holding c-spine. The attendent on this call (not me) was doing what ever it was she was doing as took c-spine over. This guy decided that it was a good time to start swearing around and flail his arms around everyone (but me) moved away. I proceeded to tell him to quit swearing at us and informed him that if he continued I would have RCMP arrest him, then in his ear I whispered that if he went to cells and I couldn't continue to help him with his possible neck injury and IF he did have a fracture that he was taking the change of becomming a candiate for a wheel chair and with that the possibility of never haveing another erection again in his life. He settled down right away, wouldn't talk to me but then again I wasn't asking the questions I was the one in control of his neck. Its amazing what will settle a pt down and what will send them into orbit, and the same for any medics.

I have been in many situations that have sent me to orbit internally some are

Get off my land you white Bi tch

I have spit at (Im abit quicker than the spitter)

My arms have been raked by finger nails

I have been kicked

I have had beer bottles and various other things thrown at me

There are many other things but not once did I strike or really want to punch the crap out of them. I try to look at the situation of their being and wonder how I would behave in the situation. Alot of time these people are addicts in way or another, homeless, abused in every aspect of the word and the chance that they have started their day with a spouse or parent telling them they are a worthless piece of crap is high. We as a profession really need to understand the circumstances of our pts, use alittle empathy and be professional.

To the medic that punched the crap out of restrained pt should be restrained and see what its like to have 0 defence. I dont care if the guy said he slept with his grandmother there is no excuse for his actions.

To the medic that punched the crap out of restrained pt should be restrained and see what its like to have 0 defence. I dont care if the guy said he slept with his grandmother there is no excuse for his actions.

Well... since you don't really have any strong feeling about this subject... :D

I agree with you 100% If you are not willing to put up with being tormented by patients and co-workers alike... find other avenues of gainfull employment.

Although... there has been one or two over the years that I soooooo would have liked to *self edited angry moment*

I wasn't defending the guy. I feel he should be off the streets. Period. Regardless of his reasons. He's proven himself to be a danger to his patients, and probably the public if he can't even restrain himself on duty. I was simply curious because the article stated they didn't know why he did it. You don't just start punching a restrained patient(or anyone, for that matter) without a reason. Unless you're totally nuts, in which case I'm sure they can find a nice bed in psych for him.