Trouble in the kitchen

Gypsy

All basics in my state are IV certified. I have no idea how many other states are like that. Basics can also assist with prescribed meds. They can't give the insulin, but they can assist.

If basics where you are can't start IVs, it's time to weigh txpt time vs intercept time.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm only a basic so when you guys go into the ALS I get so lost in the dust it isn't even funny.

What questions do you guys want to ask her? I can't give you information if you don't ask for it.

I'm only a basic so when you guys go into the ALS I get so lost in the dust it isn't even funny.

What questions do you guys want to ask her? I can't give you information if you don't ask for it.

Even if you are a basic, it's always a good idea to hear what others have to say in a more advanced manor or care. It's a great way to learn and better understand your patient, even if you can't perform most of what is being said. This way, you will know what to look for and what to ask your patients prior to ALS getting there.

Also, all medics were basics first. BLS always comes before ALS. We all perform and ask the most basic of questions and skills before opening the bag of goodies. In this case, the basics were covered. I suggest listening to what people have to say in more advanced settings. If you do not understand, just ask. EMS is a learning experience for everyone.

Even if you are a basic, it's always a good idea to hear what others have to say in a more advanced manor or care. It's a great way to learn and better understand your patient, even if you can't perform most of what is being said. This way, you will know what to look for and what to ask your patients prior to ALS getting there.

Also, all medics were basics first. BLS always comes before ALS. We all perform and ask the most basic of questions and skills before opening the bag of goodies. In this case, the basics were covered. I suggest listening to what people have to say in more advanced settings. If you do not understand, just ask. EMS is a learning experience for everyone.

I do read but how can I explain it..... I feel like a 3 year old trying to keep up to their parents who are walking fast? Does that make any sense? I try to keep up but I'm just not that fast yet. I do ask some questions in the chat room but at times feel like a real idiot when I do because I feel like I should know it already you know?

I do read but how can I explain it..... I feel like a 3 year old trying to keep up to their parents who are walking fast? Does that make any sense? I try to keep up but I'm just not that fast yet. I do ask some questions in the chat room but at times feel like a real idiot when I do because I feel like I should know it already you know?

Everyone starts some where. The bulk of your education comes from what you put into it. From studying on your own, reading texts and journals. The chat isn't the best place to get info, but it's not bad either.

I'm going to publicly appologize. I accidentally took my stress and emotions out on the people here. I am sorry.

Fire I'm sorry to you most of all because it was to your post I replied. You know I"m not like that normally.

Really, all there is to do is Assess, treat symptoms, transport, give supportive care, and access Advanced Life Support.

They can't give the insulin, but they can assist.

Never seen a protocol that listed Insulin as a patient assisted medication. The initial info tells me that this patient may be altered; there is no actual history, not even what kind of diabetic she is. If you do it, you gotta write it down. I'm not sure assisting an altered patient with administering insulin would go over too well, even if it did save the patients life. In fact, I wouldn't even suggest it to the patient; maybe a family member that knows what to do. At the location of the incident, there is no EMT-IV, so no IV's can be started; the altered patient screwed up the insulin dose, and the responder doesn't know the difference. Patient injects in. Bottoms out. Dies, while you're messing around with the tube of glucose. Good luck explaining that.

Patient injects in. Bottoms out. Dies, while you're messing around with the tube of glucose. Good luck explaining that.

OR ends up with Cerebral Edema....

• 4 weeks later...

hmmmmm it depends on a few factors

1. if the day care has the pts sugar testing kit (because EMT-B's in NJ can only assist in testing blood sugar and do not carry a test kit)

2. and what the pts symptoms are

but what i would have done is arrived o/s, assesed pt, determined if i need ALS or not, Have day care contact mom or dad, and provide pt care until mom or dad gets their to sign RMA or to bring pt to hospital