18 still in highschool can i take my take exam?

No hun sorry but you can't. You must and in this order: graduate high school and recieve your diploma, go to a state approved EMT-B course that can be found on the list on the Department of Heath website, then take your NREMT exam. Sorry for the run on sentence. Go ahead and take the EMT-B class now if you really want but all you can be as of right now is a First Responder.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No hun sorry but you can't. You must and in this order: graduate high school and recieve your diploma, go to a state approved EMT-B course that can be found on the list on the Department of Heath website, then take your NREMT exam. Sorry for the run on sentence. Go ahead and take the EMT-B class now if you really want but all you can be as of right now is a First Responder.

thank you for your reply. what is a first responder?

thank you for your reply. what is a first responder?

It's the step below Basic. You would only be allowed to drive for a private company such as AMR or Medics. That is if you are lucky.

You don't get "hired" as a First Respoder from my experience. First Responders are usually cops, boondock volunteer fire/rescue squad or people who need some form of medical training but not enough to be an EMT, AEMT or Paramedic - like people who work at Disneyworld (as an example, but they have EMTs)

First responders typically do not drive, render any patient care beyond oxygen/AED and are used as a stop gap measure in very, very isolated and rural areas where the response time for even a BLS unit would be long enough to compromise outcomes.

With that in mind, did I mention Flordia does not have them? (from the FL DOH EMS site)

Take a chill pill dude and wait. If you are so uber keen go down and see if you can volunteer at the local ER or something or go out with Fire Rescue on some ridealongs.

so how can i get hired with a first responder? can i be 17? of course i would guess valid drivers license? do i need evoc?

You can't take EVOC at 17.. or 16.. whichever. Likely not to be able to be hired as a First Responder either, unless that's a requirement for another job. Like a life guard.

Here's the deal. Your a kid. Go get the education and maturity for the health profession. No one (respectable) is going to hire you until you are over 18 at the least and more than likely 21 to 23 years of age. Study about the profession to see if this is really what you want to do until then. It is nothing alike on television.

If you still decide to be in EMS, and you have completed an accredited Paramedic program, you will be of legal age and the chances of being employed then.

Until then, be happy being a kid, have fun and if need get a job for life experience. Sorry, you won't find one in EMS.

R/r 911

So... you're going to keep making threads to ask this until we give you the answer you want to hear?