Forgotten equipment

HERBIE1

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nope, left him at the hospital :)

Had a few I've threatened to do that with, but unfortunately when you aren't the one driving and you don't have those privledges, it's tough luck, so I had to take them back. Had a student I left on scene once (well she ran away so technically I didn't leave her lol). I'm not gonna ask why you left the partner - I probably don't want to know if your tolerance is as low as mine is for some stupidity.

Newbie partner left his portable radio on top of the patient's TV set, after I had told him to not remove it from his belt, fearing that he'd do just that.

On return to base, and discovery of the missing radio, the lieutenant, understandably, was yelling at the newbie, then he turned on me for not looking out for my partner. Those portables cost about $2,000.00 each (capability to transceive on 70 or more frequencies, including certain FDNY Inter-op and NYPD Division frequencies, plus a button to silently signal the dispatcher that the crew is in trouble).

As it was the end of the shift, the newbie went to the house, and staked it out until a family member of the patient's came home to give the radio back...at about 3 AM (shift had ended at 0030 hours).

Had a few I've threatened to do that with, but unfortunately when you aren't the one driving and you don't have those privledges, it's tough luck, so I had to take them back. Had a student I left on scene once (well she ran away so technically I didn't leave her lol). I'm not gonna ask why you left the partner - I probably don't want to know if your tolerance is as low as mine is for some stupidity.

Because I wanted to go get lunch, he wanted to chit chat with people in the ER, so when he went in the bathroom, I left. Came back about 5minutes later though. Not sure if he even noticed.

Left a SAO2 monitor on scene once. Have left the O2 bottle in the ER a few times and once on a scene. Left a BP cuff or two on scenes. Only thing we weren't able to retrieve was the SAO2 monitor.

We had an EMT left on scene this winter. Our protocal is to send 2 ambulances on all MVAs. He'd come out on our secondary ambulance. When that driver left, he didn't make sure he had both EMTs who'd been with him on the way out and thought that this EMT was in the primary with me. My driver wasn't listening to the UHF radio, so my driver continued to pull out when this guy had called for us to wait. He ended up hitching a ride with the fire department. He's still razzing the guys who were driving that day.

It wasn't on scene, coming out of the hospital I left the clipboard and portable radio on the back bumper.

About two miles away, several rough intersections, 2 sets of railroad tracks, and an ON/OFF driver.... I got that sweaty feeling and yelled "STOP PULL OVER!"

Jumped out, ran to the back of the truck......

It was still there.

I almost kissed him when I got back in the truck. But he was a bit short for my tastes.

I left my partner on scene once.... kind of.

There were 3 of us on the truck that night, 2 of us hoped in the truck following a refusal of transport. The 3rd was talking to fire. We decided to drive up to the cul-de-sac and turn around while he finished talking. The 3rd guy panicked, not realizing it was a deadend street and started calling us on the radio, thinking we'd left him on accident. It was freaking awesome.

I think Chuck is it though... other than shears.

i dont really leave equipment much, although a few times i thought we had left equipment and its the worst feeling enroute to a call were you will need the equipment you think you left. thankfully we usually have a backup if we have left something behind. I have left students behind which is why the first order of business when students get in unit is this set of rules:

1. you will be less than 5 feet of me or my partner.

2. you will keep up with us or we will leave you behind.

3. you will not do everything right, but you will learn.

4. you will have as much fun as possible.

i dont really leave equipment much, although a few times i thought we had left equipment and its the worst feeling enroute to a call were you will need the equipment you think you left. thankfully we usually have a backup if we have left something behind. I have left students behind which is why the first order of business when students get in unit is this set of rules:

1. you will be less than 5 feet of me or my partner.

2. you will keep up with us or we will leave you behind.

3. you will not do everything right, but you will learn.

4. you will have as much fun as possible.

You should not be a preceptor. Sure students should not get lost or disappear but you should be the responsible one. You would not leave a patient behind that was 'taking their time.' Students should be expected to be on best behavior and to keep up, but things happen. As bad as it looks for a student to disappear from the EMS crew, it looks just as bad if not worse for your crew and agency when you leave students behind, ya know, the ones you are supposed to be helping and guiding...

Leave precepting students for the professionals, you should not be handling the learning situation.