Forgotten equipment

HERBIE1

Along the lines of the equipment failure thread, I was thinking...

What pieces of equipment have you forgotten either on scene, or at an ER?

Stretcher- a couple times left at an ER. (Had a cardiac arrest as the next call, needed to break out the mass casualty litter for transport for one, called for backup on another) There is nothing like the feeling when you open those back doors and see a very large empty space where your stretcher is supposed to be.

First response bag- several times. (Luckily we have multiple meds backups but no extra larygoscopes. In one case, it wasn't forgotten, but stolen when our backs were turned. IN another, a bystander driving by, in an alley, who was far too close to us, gawking, rolled over the bag with his car, destroying the entire contents of the bag)

Stair chair- many times

Those were the biggies..

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two winters ago, during an "Indiana Blizzard" we were going to an injured in a fall. Got the ambulance stuck approximately 3/4 to a mile away. Hiked all the way in with the bag alone, and left the driver, and 4x4 behind to start digging out the truck.

Arrived, she just needed help up. Got an SOR because of some minor bleeding.

Got back to station, and remembered the BP cuff sitting on their kitchen table.

I just got a spare out to use for the next week. :)

During one of my rides we had to go back to the hospital for a backboard. We had used our "replacement" suddenly at the doors of the ER and then forgot to get a new one again. We hadn't gone far luckily before we realized. Maybe to the end of the driveway. So I just jumped out and got one.

Haha, this brings back some horrible memories, but some funny ones.

1. A stretcher in the ER on thanksgiving several years ago- I thought my partner put it up, partner thought I put it up. Neither one did - woops. Fortunately just went back and got it.

2. A stretcher on the side of a highway - patient was too heavy for stretcher, so we laid them flat on the floor (center mounts) on a blanket. It worked but stretcher was left there for two hours until we could retrieve it lol.

3. Monitor left on scene of a DOA - by another crew and we were sent to retrieve.

4. An ambulance - yes, an ambulance - slid off the road when part of a driveway gave out, so we left it where it was for a tow truck to come get and we ran off in the extra truck with a critical patient.

And never mind the stretcher that "exited" the ambulance on one occasion because of two faulty things - we were taking it to be repaired. Cot lock didn't work, and when it hit the back doors, we found out the back door latch was faulty as well and stretcher was found in the middle of a major highway *sigh* that was rather entertaining. I'm sure there have been other things, but that's all that comes to mind at the moment.

It's 2.am... SOB call which turned into an arrest. Mutual aid backup arriving at same time grabbed our monitor and SP02 monitor. SP02 was left behind, because the first arriving crew didnt bring it in with them, so they didnt know it came from our rig.

Was at an FTO station and the FTO had brought the monitor in to do training with a third crew member. We got sent on standby and were 1/2 way across town when we got a call. Monitor was left on the training mannequin. Wasn't doing him or our patient much good there. Lucky it was a diabetic who came right around with dextrose. Ooops. Gotta love that feeling when you open the back doors and what you need isn't there!

forgot my partner once....

Did you really forget him/her or was it actually some form of equipment failure? B)