More Myspace Fallout

chbare

I'd have to see the posts in question to form an opinion one way or the other. We are all human and not everyone talks flowers and roses all the time. However, if she said anything that could show a serious prejudice against a particular race/religion/etc it could raise the question of her ability to put that aside for the sake of her patients, not just now but long-term. Far more concerning however is the possibility of a breach of patient confidentiality. The way it was described to me, the doesn't necessarily mean disclosing names but rather anything that could be used to identify a patient. I'll be interested to see what happens with this.

You can look her blog up on myspace. No membership required in fact. Obviously, the constitution argument is already out; however, we have yet another example of the post ghost returning to haunt. Even if she sues, wins, and completes school, I am not sure people will be lining up to hire her. The damage is done.

Take care,

chbare.

This is a rather popular topic on another site I frequent. It essentially boils down to repercussions related to information you post on the web.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/200...0393/1008/rss01

Take care,

chbare.

You mean there is more sites out there? :iiam:

Good story and a good lesson to be learned.

It is also down to personal interpretation and being aware that as human beings we do step on other peoples toes as part of reality and all it could have taken is a conversation with a fellow student that has gone wrong and boom, an allegation laid or anything and thats your career down the toilet.

There is however, a time and a place and whilst I am human and have disagreements with fellow co-workers, the system in general and even treatement by patients to health care professionals, those even in the context of a personal blog are not for internet. Plain and simple, you are no longer an individual on the net, once its out there it's out there, plain as the day we were born.

Thanks CH for the post.

Scotty

I'll be the first to say KY is probably one of the toughest states to crack down on myspace postings. Many employers here have a "morality clause" and yes, myspace seems to fall under that. I think long and hard before I post anything and never mention anything about my specific employer, nor scene pictures. Everything I have on my page is either training photos and specifically stated as such OR public pictures which were in the paper and already public knowledge and posted with the permission of the department. For those of you that have seen my page, yes I have pics from my previous employers with their approval. I am very cautious about what I post as I have worked much too hard to lose my job to stupidity.

Do I think a person has the right to post what they like on a site ? Yes if it pertains to them and does not identify themselves as a professional within a program or the program itself in a negative light. Also, any violation of HIPPA - well sorry about your luck. I have no sympathy for you. Think long, think hard, think smart before you do something stupid. It may be your job and worse your license/certification.

I am glad to see that she is suing. This is another example of the law trying to catch up with technology. I hope both sides decide to fight it. I would like to see a precedent set. Nursing is a tough racket - lord knows those of us in EMS have had our run ins with nurses. Nursing and EMS seems to attract diametrically opposed personality types. This girl was an army medic and appears to be of a type that those of us in EMS are very familiar with. Conflict between her and her fellow students was inevitable. Add in a nursing administrative supervisor and the pot will indeed boil over. Interesting indeed.

PS - edited to replace "pull over" with "boil over" - Freudian slip :-)

Edited by Kaisu

I am glad to see that she is suing. This is another example of the law trying to catch up with technology. I hope both sides decide to fight it. I would like to see a precedent set. Nursing is a tough racket - lord knows those of us in EMS have had our run ins with nurses. Nursing and EMS seems to attract diametrically opposed personality types. This girl was an army medic and appears to be of a type that those of us in EMS are very familiar with. Conflict between her and her fellow students was inevitable. Add in a nursing administrative supervisor and the pot will indeed boil over. Interesting indeed.

PS - edited to replace "pull over" with "boil over" - Freudian slip :-)

Did you take a look at her blog? She describes a patient's birth using very colorful language. I am not sure the patient would pass this off as Army medic talk. In addition, the student talks about filming the birth? I am unsure if permission was granted? The blogger also talks about how worthless clinicals are, and how she is posting these blogs during her nursing classes.

I suspect we have potential HIPPA issues and academic issues. If I found out you were posting myspace blogs in one of my classes, I would want to send your butt packing.

Take care,

chbare.

Did you take a look at her blog? She describes a patient's birth using very colorful language. I am not sure the patient would pass this off as Army medic talk. In addition, the student talks about filming the birth? I am unsure if permission was granted? The blogger also talks about how worthless clinicals are, and how she is posting these blogs during her nursing classes.

I suspect we have potential HIPPA issues and academic issues. If I found out you were posting myspace blogs in one of my classes, I would want to send your butt packing.

Take care,

chbare.

Great point. If this is how seriously she takes her education I'd hate to see her on the job. As far as the clinicals go, I've had some really really boring ones as far as no "exciting" cases, but they haven't been "worthless". Far from it. I just sought out techs and picked their brains about anything and everything having to do with EMS. So, yeah, I may not have gotten the patient experience I wanted but I still took a lot of great info home with me. I really feel that a clinical is going to be what you make it.