More Myspace Fallout

chbare

Did you take a look at her blog? She describes a patient's birth using very colorful language. I am not sure the patient would pass this off as Army medic talk. In addition, the student talks about filming the birth? I am unsure if permission was granted? The blogger also talks about how worthless clinicals are, and how she is posting these blogs during her nursing classes.

I suspect we have potential HIPPA issues and academic issues. If I found out you were posting myspace blogs in one of my classes, I would want to send your butt packing.

Take care,

chbare.

I did not look at her blog. I am more concerned about the bigger issue of freedom of speech vs. academic/employer rights to restrict same. EMS is fraught with examples of individuals fired because of these issues. A medic I went to school with got fired last week because of a text message sent on a personal phone. It was a racial joke (pretty tame compared to some of the stuff this guy has sent). It was used as a hook to eliminate someone that did not fit in. I am not debating the merits of this specific case or any other. What bothers me is the fact that there are no guidelines currently in place to protect all of us. It appears to be at the discretion of whoever is in charge.

The fact that you might want to send my butt packing does not necessarily give you the right to do so. If my career - academic or otherwise, is at the mercy of whoever decides to take offense at something I say or post, then that is plain wrong.

Potential HIPPA violation is pulled out of people's butts as a blanket condemnation of whatever it is they take offense to, when the fact of the matter is that damn few employers, academics and practioners really understand the law. The practical application of it is a grey area for sure. Pretty hard to avoid breaking the rules when they are not written down. Debating the issue in a court of law is what our system has as a way of clarifying this stuff.