Calgary EMS administers Morphine to dying Police dog

mobey

They treated both the canine and his handler with the utmost professionalism one could ask for. The fact that they were able to contact a DVM to assist them via phone is also wonderful, and a big thank you should go out to that doctor as well.

Perhaps this should bring up the question of animals and approrpiate care protocols. In such situations, it might be considered a very unusual cert one can obtain. We have search and rescue canines, Pd canines, equestrian Pd, etc..... they're also considered officers and squad members, aren't they?

On a bit more somber note, this reminds me of a local Canine officer who was killed in the line of duty not too long ago (Plymouth Meeting Officer Layfield and his Canine partner Andy). Both were in persuit of robbers and Andy was shot threw the head and the bullet struck Layfield in the chest((thank GOD for bullet proof vests!!!!)). It would have been nice to give the dog some pain management prior to going to the vet.

Kudos for these guys.

I probably would do the same thing but who knows. I do have a good rapport with a vet that would drop most anything to come out to a scene like this. He came right out when I responded to a horse hit by a car. He was there in 10 minutes and the horse suffered little.

I would like to think that he would come out for this too.

Wow good job Calgary EMS! Fire fighters are commended all the time for administering oxygen or ventilations/CPR on pets, so whats the difference? If they would consider this a waste of resources how come it is a waste for other treatments? Again good job.

Somewhat similar to an incident I had outside of Kabul. I was pulling temporary clinic duty for a company that provides logistical support to the military. The camp dog was hit by a car and sustained serious orthopedic trauma. We had to hold the dog for about 24 hours while arrangements for surgery were completed at Bagram.

My peers were quite surprised when they received a detailed, several page long medical report titled; "Diesel the dog." I was not quite sure how to handle the bureaucracy, and simply wrote it up as I would any medical case.

The dog was eventually evacuated the next day, and had an ORIF of the leg. Ultimately, he ended up making a good recovery.

Take care,

chbare.

Great job! These animals are partners and treated the same as the human coworkers by these officers. By treating the animal (and getting a vet's input), these medics did what they could for a recognized law enforcement officer.

Morphine dosage for dogs is 0.1 to 0.25 mg/kg. (bout the same as peds, not sure why I remembered why it was the same dose for dogs)

I started my medical field training as a vet assistant when I was in high school. Most medications are dosed to animals on a scale similar to pediatrics. Their metabolism and size are closer to kids than adults, so it works.

Looks like the two medics involved weighed the options and came up with a unique solution to an extremely unusual situation. They knew they needed to treat the dog somehow and not only did they do it without delay, they contacted the appropriate medical control. I sincerely hope that these two medics do not face disciplinary action.

By no means should these medics face disciplinary action. It was neccessary to sedate the dog in order to treat the person - doing anything else would have been unethical as you would have prolonged the suffering of both human and dog needlessly. I have heard of one other instance (I wish I could remember where) that a swat medic did treat an injured K9 during a situation - but was only one injured - no humans involved. At least they were able to ease the suffering and the dog was no longer unaware of the need to treat his owner as well. I should only hope that in the future they are willing to step up to care as needed. Personally, I see this as no different than providing oxygen to a dog or cat following a fire - some services carry specialty masks for that reason. It is treatment nonetheless and that is done without the assistance of a vet. They attempted to cover all the bases. Kudos to them for their care and compassion, and my sympathies to the officer on the loss of his partner.

I would have done the same thing. And besides, it was not a pet. He was a fellow Police Officer. Or at least that's what I would have argured. I know it had to be one of the hardest situations any of those there would ever have to face in their careers.

If MS was not available, or any other pain meds, I wonder if moving him with a scoop stretcher would have been feasible.

I would have done the same thing. And besides, it was not a pet. He was a fellow Police Officer. Or at least that's what I would have argured. I know it had to be one of the hardest situations any of those there would ever have to face in their careers.

If MS was not available, or any other pain meds, I wonder if moving him with a scoop stretcher would have been feasible.

That's a good point, firedoc5. How many times did this dog put his life on the line to help others? How many times did he fight down the fear of gunshots, shouting, etc to defend his human partner and/or the citizens of his city? And people want to raise issues over a shot of morphine for him? I'm just glad he isn't suffering anymore and my heart goes out to the officer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.