Fire Crew Assaulted on EMS Run

Dustdevil

Here's another story for all you a-holes that think you're going to know ahead of time if your scene is unsafe.

Luckily, the firemonkeys served as our canaries this time. Maybe not next time.

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0309/601908.html

See video at link.

Emergency Crews Attacked Overnight

posted 03/09/09 3:25 pm

Tulsa, OK - A Tulsa fire crew is nursing some scrapes, cuts, bumps and bruises after coming under attack while trying to help an elderly north Tulsa woman.

It happened late Sunday night at about 11 o'clock in the 46-hundred block of North Hartford. That's about a half mile west of 46th Street North and Peoria Avenue.

The fire crews and paramedics from EMSA were responding to that medical call when police say as many as seven teenagers ambushed them as they were getting out of their trucks. Crew members called for backup and as Tulsa police surrounded the area, the teens scattered in all directions.

Ralph Stevenson lives in the neighborhood. He says he was shocked to hear the news.

"I woke up and they told me a fireman had gotten attacked."

The fire crews were attacked while trying to help a grandmother. Apparently, they weren't moving fast enough for bystanders. Robert Redricks was the first to be hit.

"When I went to the porch, they didn't want me there," he says. "Said I wasn't doing anything. They were just really mad, wanting me off the, so he snuck out of the house and dove on me and just went to pounding on me."

The entire crew was attacked.

"My hand is bruised. I have a scratch on my nose. Captain had a busted lip. My driver's head got hit several times."

But, almost as emotionally hurt are neighbors like Ralph Stevenson, a veteran amputee. He worries what this act of violence could mean when he needs emergency help in the future.

"I'm here for the community," Redricks says. "I love my community. I've been here all my life and I'm going to continue to do my job. I just thank God I'm still here living because it could have been a lot worse."

EMSA paramedics did end up helping the patient.

When EMSA and the fire department respond to dangerous calls, they always have police backup. It didn't happen this time because there was no indication there was danger. And, while fire crews have dealt with confrontations before, police say this kind of violence is not something they generally see.

"This just never happens to them," said Tulsa Police Captain Shawn King. "They never get assaulted. I mean, they're here to help people and people know that. They may get some verbal confrontations going back and forth, but they're generally not assaulted."

What makes things even more difficult for investigators is that the witnesses aren't being cooperative.

"On all of these, nobody sees anything," Captain King said. "We had people in the house that were still here when we got there. Of course they don't know anything even though they were in the middle of it, don't know who any of the people were or anything."

Police made two arrests at the home for outstanding warrants, but so far no one has been arrested for attacking the firefighters.

Maybe they understand that there is no point to fire response either and decided to take action? :o

Actually this could back to the bullet/stab resistant post. Wouldn't it absorb some of the body blows, allowingyou to keep defending yourself?

Gotta love using fire as a litmus test! In all seriousness though, this is a particularly disturbing incident. Is the area in question known to have scene safety issues? If not I would imagine it is now flagged by dispatch. I never cease to be amazed by the number of US practitioners who seam to work in a war zone. There are some places in Canada with similair issues but the number is drastically less. Having spent time working in some of these areas I can honestly say your level of awarness needs to be on full alert all the time. We were fortunate in having police on scene with us the majority of the time but that isn't an excuse for letting your guard down.

Ps. Dust clean out your inbox. I've been trying to PM you for the last week.

More often than ever, we're getting told by dispatchers, while responding to suicidal or behavioral patients, that PD will not be assisting. They tell us if we decide the scene isn't safe, to radio in, but at the time nobody is available. So, if we arrive and get killed, then they'll be available. Does that makes us police Decoy's? :P

Would it have happened if the EMS crew were first in or arrived alone?

As for me, if our dispatch says PD isn't responding or will be delayed to what sounds like an unsafe scene, then I don't go in. Luckily our dept has a policy in support of this. I've been on plenty of scenes where they were initally thought to be safe or where they became unsafe where PD has drawn weapons, Tazered, etc...

And no, I don't think a ballistic vest would have helped their egos, nose, lips, hand, or head :P

A good book for any EMS worker to read is "When Violence Erupts". It tells you some of the things to look for and what to do when you are placed in a bad situation. I've read it and it has certainly made me aware of potential dangers when and where I would least expect them.

Keep a good eye out there people.

Safety 1st!!!

This is scary. We've been trained to always be aware and always have a way out, but in this case they weren't even in yet.

As far as fire crews being first on scene, I don't know how it out there but here in va beach(and I believe the surrounding cities) all firefighters are required to carry emt-b or higher certification. Which means if they are closer they will be first on scene. Is this an unusual practice?

Ironically, I was at the State Capital most of the day yesterday, one of the HB is a law that will change assault on EMS and Fire workers a felony. This appearantly got the Representatives attention as the attacks have became more frequent on both professions lately.

Even though it was the boys in blue, this event added fuel to our bill.

R/r 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.