Solu Medrol - What are its uses? How to use?

spenac

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK Solu Medrol (methylprednisolone sodium succinate). What is your experience with it? What do you use it for?How do you use it? Yes I know some but hope to learn more.

Just alike its cousins Decadron and other steroids. Reduction of inflammation, swelling, etc. We use it routinely for those with COPD (bronhitis, asthma) and of course allergic reactions. Our standard dosage is 125 mg SIVP.

Has anyone used it in trauma, spinal injury?

We used to use it in suspected spinal cord injuries. But, there is no evidence that it helped much, so they stopped using it for that.

Like RR stated COPD and Asthma, it does excellent in reducing swelling. We use 125mg too.

Although we do not have an active protocol for it.... If MD requires/approves it we do have a dosage approved..... ummm 30mg/kg over 15min. then 5.4mg/kg/hr. I believe.

My routine use is also anaphylaxis, asthma, COPD 125-250mg I.V.

In the 70s and 80s, it was used along with Mannitol in heaad trauma. We also used it in strokes up through the 90s. In recent years, it has fallen out of favour for head injuries, but regained favour in spinal injury and neuro compromise.

I use it routinely on asthma and bad allergic rxns. The spinal dose is so huge that we don't carry enough of the stuff even if we wanted to give it for that.

Note the onset of solumedrol is on the order of hours, but I always get thanks from the ED staff for giving it to my asthma patients. Apparently it makes a big difference down the road.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.