To Go National Registry Or Not

tom5706

I too am a NY medic (until September)...I took the registry.

I know quite a few people who took the registry.

as someone said reciprocity is 1 very good reason. I have moved to NH which requires national registry...actually you need your registry to get your license in this state at any level

for the little extra work, effort and money, it is worth it...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thinking about testing at the National Registry. I am a Basic EMT x 1 year+. Keep in mind I am cert in New York. I have read practice tests on line for the NR and it seems very close to the State test. My question is this. Aside from the ability to have NREMT next to my name, what bennies do I receive for having that title. I was told by one person that NY does not recognize the NR title. The course testing is 70.00 which is really not in my budget.

Any suggestions are appriciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom-

I would also consider what your future goals are in this field, how old are you, do you have a family to support, etc. Do you aspire to a higher position- management, teaching, training, etc, or will you be happy as a field provider? It would never hurt to challenge yourself and go for the NR, but you need to have a plan. What can being nationally registered do for you? If you want to move on/up, maybe a better use of your time and money would be a public safety/ management/leadership degree? Most of us don't have unlimited time and/or resources, so you need to prioritize your goals and decide what you need to do to achieve them.

Either way, good luck.

My decision to not go for my NREMT-B was based on the fact that I was continuing in school and so would end up registering NREMT-I in two more semesters anyway and NREMT-P in four. Just wasn't worth the extra monitary investment. Had I decided to take time off between my basic and continuing education, I probably would have registered NR. In my area, it is nothing more than a title at the basic level. I believe it is required for the higher training levels, but I figure when I'm already investing $1400+/- a semester, what's an extra $150 every two semesters for NR testing even if it wasn't required.

Nat registry is not a license to practice. It is a certificate that says you have passed their testing with a passing grade. In some states the NR card is required to apply for licensure. It is used as a standard testing process so that the state EMS agencies don't have to spend the money to develop and update their own written exams. Outsourced to nat reg.

Our state now has it as the testing at basic and Paramedic level but not at the intermediate level because our I's are more advanced than the nat reg I-99 testing levels.

The national Registry is not a licensing agency their main focus besides bringing in revenue is political lobbying.

I held a NR card for over 20 years because the states I worked in required it. I no longer carry it as it is not needed for re- licensure.

It will not make you more educated or more employable just certified!

Back when I started it wasn't required by IL to have your National so many never bothered with it. What was the point? I guess some thought it might look good on a resume. And at one time, if you passed the IL test you were automatically given a National patch. They stopped doing that a year before I became an EMT. I guess I fell into the catagory of, if it's not required then why bother with it.

Then there are states that don't have their own Registry, like LA, unless it's changed in the last three years or so.

So, if it's not something you must have why take take? But if you do take it, more power to ya.

I look at it like this: Lets say you are having abdominal surgery for appendicitis --- why not take out the gallbladder while you are in the neighborhood. Same thing for your car -- if you have to tear down the radiator and pulleys to replace your water pump, go ahead and replace the timing belt/chain while you are there. Taking an EMT test to get certified, take the national registry and give yourself 40-50 states to work in, instead of one ?

Don't do it. The NR is the biggest scam in all of EMS, instead get a two year degree.

Want to back those words, or just speak from your anus? You use same repeated comment without any explanation leads one to believe you must have failed one of their tests.

NREMT has and still endorses formal education. Without their persistence we would not be heading for accredited programs. You can thank the NREMT for this or is this one of their "scams" you adress? Validity of tests per academia and again wanting programs to meet such standards.

Yeah, a whopping $10 a year scam.. poor baby. Apparently, you don't know the costs of most professional health care organizations and again I doubt you know or read the scientific research and the presentations they have performed within EMS.

So your asinine statement makes no sense, obtain your degree and NREMT demonstrating you have met the minimal national standards.

R/r 911

Edited by Ridryder 911

"Replying to To Go National Registry Or Not"

I think a better question to ask than "Should I get NREMT certification" is "Why shouldn't I get NREMT certification?" Compared to all of the other costs for EMS certification, I can't really see why not. From what I've seen, the cost of NREMT is just a drop in the bucket.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.