Does your state require a special license to operate an ambo

EMT1972

Does your state DMV require an additional certificate/license to drive an ambulance?  

29 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The State of Michigan actually exempts EMT's Firefighters, Police Officers and farmers/farm workers from having to have an 'appropriate license for the weight class and/or class' of their professions. I can drive fire trucks reguardless of weight class/restrictions, ambulances (without needing a chauffers license; since people are paying for transport), as long as I am working in the capacity of that job.

This provision actually worked in my favor while I was working in Detroit. It seems that management tried to get me to 'fill in' on a wheelchair transport vehicle, but I quickly informed them that while I may have been in an EMT uniform, I wasn't working as an EMT, and therfore the 'exemption' no longer applied. In addition to that, in order to LEGALLY work in the non emergency transport division, I needed a chauffers license, and at that time, I didnt have one!

Further, I am exempt from having to carry certain papers on my person, as an EMT, Firefighter, Police officer, as long as I am responding to/from a call on the most direct route.

I got pulled over on the way to a fire call one early morning, and no ticket was issued because I couldn't show a valid drivers license at the time. The officer surmised that since I could gain access to the fire hall, that I was indeed a member of the department. It also helped that when he 'dropped in' after the call, I was working on getting the trucks back in service....

The State of Michigan actually exempts EMT's Firefighters, Police Officers and farmers/farm workers from having to have an 'appropriate license for the weight class and/or class' of their professions. I can drive fire trucks reguardless of weight class/restrictions, ambulances (without needing a chauffers license; since people are paying for transport), as long as I am working in the capacity of that job.

Yup, most agencies' insurance requires you go through EVOC or something similar though. In private EMS (in Michigan where I work) your 'driving status' is determined by the insurance companies. Our company has people with valid state driver's licenses that due to their record cannot drive the ambulance. Off topic, but that makes for a craptastic 24 hr shift when your partner can't drive :roll:

Yup, most agencies' insurance requires you go through EVOC or something similar though. In private EMS (in Michigan where I work) your 'driving status' is determined by the insurance companies. Our company has people with valid state driver's licenses that due to their record cannot drive the ambulance. Off topic, but that makes for a craptastic 24 hr shift when your partner can't drive :roll:

I agree about the 'craptastic shift'!

As a Firefighter, I had to test for vehicle operations (gotta love the 'cone zone testing'! I'm pretty sure that the testing was required by the state, but aside from a copy of the test results in my personnel file (the original was sent to the State Fire Marshall's Office), there were no special licenses, certificates or other 'additional papers' I had to carry.

The service in Detroit had a EVOC (in house). Upon completion, then I was allowed to drive. What was funny was that they said that the Type II van ambulances were harder to drive than a fire truck!

What was funny was that they said that the Type II van ambulances were harder to drive than a fire truck!

:dontknow: :scratch: Here I was thinking the vehicle that maneuvers like a pregnant whale and weighs, oh 10 times+ what a type II ambo does would be harder...

:dontknow: :scratch: Here I was thinking the vehicle that maneuvers like a pregnant whale and weighs, oh 10 times+ what a type II ambo does would be harder...

You'd think, but I can parallel park a ladder truck easier than I can my wife's SUV. :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.