EMTs are now authorized to obtain blood samples on DWI stops

akflightmedic

in texas we have a 'force draw' clause if a DUI suspect refuses to do a breath test. im not exactley looking forward to be the 'forced draw byiatch' mind you and we wouldnt be taking custody of the sample if this thing does go through. more than likely there would be a form with the date, time the sample was collected and who drew it and the officers name. we (texas) already have a system in place for forced draws so i wonder why this proposal. as for the police bringing the suspect to the ER for the draw, california already does this. a hospital i worked at many moons ago has seating in a hallway for just such purpose. officer brings suspect, nurse draws, gives blood to officer. the breathalyzer is in a closet in the same hallway.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not support this bill at all think it is ridiculous.

Agreed 1000% this is a recipe for legal disaster.

Unless one can:

1- Evaluate the ETOH level on scene?

2- Counteract with some new magic drug the effects of an ETOH OD ?

3- Until that time ... this is not practicing medicine at all, its practicing CSI.

I suspect a very negative PR result with the general public as well. Will they even call an ambulance if they are at all intoxcated and ill ? .... silly silly silly .... tisk tisk tisk .... dumb dumb dumb.

cheers

ps love the new look AK, did you finally shave ?

You could also be making some court appearances.

This is in Texas. Are EMT's even allowed to perform venipuncture or are they using this term EMT to cover all levels?

CHANGES

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/81R/b...ml/HB00509I.htm

By: Riddle H.B. No. 509

ORIGINAL

Sec. 724.017

Sec.A724.017 BLOOD SPECIMEN

(a)Only a physician, qualified technician, chemist, registered professional nurse, or

licensed vocational nurse may take a blood specimen at the request or order of a peace officer under this chapter. The blood specimen must be taken in a sanitary place.

(b)The person who takes the blood specimen under this chapter, or the hospital where the blood specimen is taken, is not liable for damages arising from the request or order of the peace

officer to take the blood specimen as provided by this chapter if the blood specimen was taken according to recognized medical procedures. This subsection does not relieve a person from liability for negligence in the taking of a blood specimen.

©In this section, "qualified technician" does not include emergency medical services personnel.Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

I don't think it would fly with EMT's doing it. In FL we were doing draws on DUI scenes for years. The cops carry there own draw kits. They would ask the pt for permission to draw blood for DUI cases. We would draw it as we were preforming an IV. You must use the swabs and tubes that came in their kits. We drew blood for the ED, so a few extra tubes did not matter. This was paramedic discretion and we would refuse if it would hinder care.

They hold up very well in court cases and I was never subpoenaed to court for one!

Per the OP, I think the person wrote the story is doing a mixup of EMTs and Paramedics. I am an EMT, and under local protocols, although we might do it under direction of the Paramedics, EMTs are not supposed to even spike IV bags.

Per the OP, I think the person wrote the story is doing a mixup of EMTs and Paramedics. I am an EMT, and under local protocols, although we might do it under direction of the Paramedics, EMTs are not supposed to even spike IV bags.

Per the link I posted earlier from HB 509:

(5) a licensed or certified emergency medical

technician-intermediate or emergency medical

technician-paramedic.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.