Get those degrees in EMS/Paramedicine

I am also looking to get into the local Technical College. What I found for the requirements for an Associates Degree in Paramedicine was that it also required an 'computer science' class. The way the course was described, I fail to see how knowing how to write/diagnose and repair a computer operating system (like Windows or Linux) will help increase my knowlege and performance of patient care.

Are you assuming it is a computer repair class because it may have used the word trouble shoot in the description? We are in the computer age and at some point in your career you may stop using the paper patient reports and go with a computer reporting system. Some of the medical classes might even require you to do online research. Some of the medical equipment you may use in the future will be running off various operating systems. Do you think making sure everyone is on the same page in their computer knowledge just might be handy? However, I will say that many healthcare degree programs are now requiring that you have prior working knowledge of a computer before starting their curriculum and are no longer including that extra 3 credit hour class in the degree. If you are computer illiterate, you may be required to take an intro to computer class prior to being accepted for that particular degree program.

Congrats on your decision not to go to a medic mill!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you all feel about online colleges? Its the new things these days and frankly Im considering it. Not nessecarilly to get a Medic or RN though, just in general.

It seems more and more that places of employment dont even care that you have a degree unless its from an accredited college.

So is an online degree of any nature worth pursuing?

I think online education is great but NOT at the entry level. Nursing has realized this and the state boards are making more specific requirements for those that attend a program like Excelsior.

Once one has their license as Paramedic or RN, I believe online education is an excellent way to get a higher degree. That is not to say some of the humanities or even a couple of the science classes can not be taken online for the degree.

Right now, Norther Arizona University has an online BS degree in Health Science-Paramedicine. Most of the classes (I'm currently enrolled in it) are based upon community medicine and out reach type subjects and not "street medicine." Not complaining, good knowledge, just different from what I'm used to.

We had a student who was doing the BS in paramedicine. It was bullshit, the required classes did not even include Anatomy I and II but focused on classes like EMT-P and B lead instructor classes and EMS management. What a crock of shit if you ask me.

And yes, I already have a degree so no bashing me about it.

It was bullshit, the required classes did not even include Anatomy I and II but focused on classes like EMT-P and B lead instructor classes and EMS management. What a crock of shit if you ask me.

And yes, I already have a degree so no bashing me about it.

Hopefully, A & P I & II were pre-requisite classes. The BS in Emergency Medical Science should focus more on management. I wouldn't consider it BS. I also have my degree and will be starting my BS in the Fall. Frankly, I'm looking forward to it.

Hopefully, A & P I & II were pre-requisite classes. The BS in Emergency Medical Science should focus more on management. I wouldn't consider it BS. I also have my degree and will be starting my BS in the Fall. Frankly, I'm looking forward to it.

No, they were not, and neither was his paramedic program. The program I went to had a long list of requirements including A&P I + II. It's crazy how things are different one program to another.

Instead of just getting that BS in paramedicine why not just become and RN or major in biology. I think its a lot more relevant.

Instead of just getting that BS in paramedicine why not just become and RN or major in biology. I think its a lot more relevant.

Perhaps. I have a degree in Biology albeit the paper is now faded :wink: . At this time I really have no desire to become an RN. I would like to continue on with my degree in paramedicine. I enjoy the work and would like to move into a managerial role at some point. The focus of the programme I'm enrolling in is really Health Care management. It is a BS in Emergency Medical Science, but Health care management is the focus. The other focus was premed.

I agree that a paramedic degree, or degree in some sort of emergency healthcare would be an asset to the medic, as well as to the pt. I would also agree that being a paramedic with a degree in geology probably will not make you a provider that has any "real" higher education in regards to pt care than a paramedic who has a high school diploma from 20 years ago. ( Way before "No child left behind") Yeah there will be arguements that any higher education is better than none, and this is true. My point being that if you want to build bridges, you get an engineering degree, not one in theatrical arts; the same should hold true for paramedics.

Of course, you can get your master's degree if you want, but it still doesnot make you a better prehospital healthcare provider if you can not successfully utilize the education that you have obtained. The ability to study subject matter, and then bring it from the far reaches of that grayish, mushy brain of yours, and put it to work in the form of decsion making, prioritization, and actual skills performance, is what makes an "advanced educated" provider an asset, and not some dumb shmuck babbling on the radio, not knowing what he needs, nor what needs to be done next. Let me explain an example to you.

The background for this engine company officer is that he has about 12 years on the FD, and has been a medic for about 15 years. The other night his company is dispatched to an MVC. Enroute, dispatch tells them that there is one pt who is receiving CPR. PD gets on scene and advised that there are 6 cars involved in this accident. The roadway is a divided 4 lane thoroughfare with posted speed limit in the 35-40 mph range. All of this information is provided to the company officer prior to his arrival on scene. He waits to arrive on scene, and then decide to ask for a second ambulance; I was working ambulance that night, and we had already sent 3 rigs to that incident after hearing all the updates. He focused on the cardiac arrest pt, who was not a trauma arrest, but had arrested because of his cardiac Hx, and this is how the accident came to be in the first place. It took 13 minutes for this officer to become aware that there was an entrapment, he then advised that they needed a rescue engine "just to pop a door" as he stated. This actually turned into a prolonged extrication, it was not a simple door pop. All in all, 3 pts were transported, the cardiac arrest, who survived and last I know was moved up to the floor out of the ER, and two trauma alerts. One of the trauma alerts..........you guessed it, spent over 20 minutes in the vehicle before the rescue engine even arrived. The person who actually asked for rescue was not the officer, but the "third firefighter". (He only has a high school diploma)

So when you look at this situation, which is not the first time that this individual has exercised extreme discretion in regards to requesting additional help prior to or even at the time of arrival on scene, it becomes apparent that all of that education went right down the tubes when it should have come forward at such a critical moment. How is it that a person who "teaches" classes on mass casualty incidents (as well as other topics) does not recognize an entrapment for 13 minutes while on scene of an MCI? How is it that with all the information provided to you while responding, that you believe that your crew of 4 with an additional 2 medics, will be able to properly provide triage and treatment for at a minimum of 6 potential pts when you know one of them is in cardiac arrest with CPR being performed? I agree that if it was a traumatic arrest, you could probably maintain bystander CPR while you triaged the remaining pts but none the less, you know you have at least one critical pt, who may or may not be transported depending on circumstances.

I am normally not one to "Monday morning quarterback" too quickly or too harshly, but I am sorry, this report card gets a great big "F". It was a huge failure, in my opinion, not to initially request an additional 2 engines, one of them being a rescue, as well as ask for the assistant chief to respond to assume command duties. If, after arrival, you discover that there is only one pt, and everyone else is standing around their cars with no injuries, then by all means you can cancel the other rigs. On the other hand, if you discover that this truly is a MCI, then your additional resources are already on their way, and will be there shortl. This is the way our system is set up, and when executed properly, it works quite well.

My intent was not to point out what I consider a huge failure in one of our company officers, but to point out the huge failure of this individual's "EDUCATION" if it can indeed be considered as such. This person looks great on paper, but has not been able to perform to what I would consider even acceptable standards on this instance. I feel safe to say that I would imagine that for every service out there, an individual like this exists. So sometimes education is not the cure all to end all problems. Competency is also a huge factor in how well or poorly one performs their duties.

I didn't mean to get off on a seperate tangent but I do feel this is supporting evidence that advanced education does not always pay off. Not saying it is a waste by any means, just that you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.