Get those degrees in EMS/Paramedicine

apparently you misunderstood. i have no problem with an EMS degree. In texas we're considered something special because we are 'licensed' as opposed to 'certified' if we hold a degree in ANYTHING. underwater basket weaving, politics or EMS, it doesnt matter. i think this is ridiculous. if you want to be 'licensed' your degree should be in EMS or some other form of healthcare, not history, not political science not peace studies.

Texas is the exception and it appears the state is just encouraging education regardless of what it is. Law enforcement also use this template for their entry level.

I believe Oregon may have started out like that but now are requiring the degree to be in EMS.

There are plenty of Associates degrees in EMS available to whoever wants one. Florida has a community college in every town there is a medic mill. Unfortunately, Florida is still stuck on a quick quantity attitude for putting as many Paramedics on an engine or ladder as possible.

The way to make a change is for more people to get degrees. When the people with the "certs" start to become the minority, change will happen. It would be nice to be in a department were you can ALL look down your noses that the 3 month wonder who wants to run with the big dogs who have an education. Sounds rude but some peer pressure is needed to get things moving. Other healthcare professions much younger than EMS may have advanced more rapidly because there was always someone in the hospital to remind you how little education you have and it was usually in rounds for all to hear. That is a good incentive to keep learning. EMS has been kept too isolated from the world of medicine for too long. I also believe in a community college or university education to expose one to many other medical and nonmedical disciplines just for a better understanding of who is out there. Medic mills in the isolated back rooms of FDs and ambulance stations have to be eliminated.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would urge everyone to get a degree, not necessarily an EMS degree BS in Healthcare Management or Business). There are very few jobs that you can do for 40 years, retire, and get the gold watch anymore. Having a degree gives you the opportunity for management careers in or out of EMS, and may give you an alternative to EMS if you are ever injured so bad that you can not work on the truck anymore.

To all the rookies out there, I would also suggest getting your instructor certifications while you are young and still remember everything.

apparently you misunderstood. i have no problem with an EMS degree. In texas we're considered something special because we are 'licensed' as opposed to 'certified' if we hold a degree in ANYTHING. underwater basket weaving, politics or EMS, it doesnt matter. i think this is ridiculous. if you want to be 'licensed' your degree should be in EMS or some other form of healthcare, not history, not political science not peace studies.

Connecticut medics are licensed without an AS degree. EMTs and First Responders are certified. Just throwing that in there.

To all the rookies out there, I would also suggest getting your instructor certifications while you are young and still remember everything.

No doubt. Scoop up every cert you can and do it early. i think the education requirement shows a few things about a potential employee. first is that they have an interest in the field. i know my service isnt looking for the guy that wants to just clock in, do some runs and clock out. it also shows dedication, initiative and personal responsibility. although it isnt a sure thing, i believe its a good indicator that this person can get up, come to work on time and do his/her job. the degree doesnt tell me where they are at skill wise, thats for the FTO's to decide.

Connecticut medics are licensed without an AS degree. EMTs and First Responders are certified. Just throwing that in there.

In Texas, though, there are two levels of paramedic. The "Licensed Paramedic" has a degree while the "EMT-Paramedic" does not.

In Texas, though, there are two levels of paramedic. The "Licensed Paramedic" has a degree while the "EMT-Paramedic" does not.

Is there a difference in scope of practise or is education the sole difference? I'm currently in the process of researching a BSC in Paramedicine. So far the only recognized program I've found is through the University of Toronto.

I have to agree with others that this does NOT make you a better medic. The subject matter of the paramedic programs are all the same. We all take the same NR skills. We all are testing over the same subject matter. I am not in the program to be a better medic than anyone.

I not only see the assiciates dergee required in EMS but other areas also. There are many jobs in the paper or online now that are stating that this degree is required as a minimum. Its not because they are better but I think that many employers want the "educated" person. I dont think having an associates degree makes you any more educated that the next person. I have seen people without a degree have the ability to do their job functions as good as or better that one with. I guess its a 50-50 toss up. damned if you do damnedif you dont, know what I mean?

Just a good understanding of Anatomy & Physiology alone will set you apart from all your cohorts with only 'a cert'. I can guarantee you that my school, and would almost guarantee that your school, covers much more information in two years than can be covered in a 456 hour training course. Do not sell yourself short for having a degree. You are getting it to be a cut above the rest. Maybe, after you are finished with school, and ride as a paramedic, you will see how a degree was a better choice. Good Luck with your program !

Is there a difference in scope of practise or is education the sole difference? I'm currently in the process of researching a BSC in Paramedicine. So far the only recognized program I've found is through the University of Toronto.

none at all. education is the sole difference.

How about this for a solution (of course this plan only applys to the US, sorry to all of our foreign friends). Start out by making a college like the rest of medicine has. Let's call it the American College of Prehospital Medicine (ACPM), similar to the American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP). Initially, to gain any strength or legitimacy this college would have to fall under the auspicies of a stronger, more established organization such as ACEP. They will set the standards as to what it takes to become board certified. Let's establish the requirements as:

1. obtain a bachelors degree in prehospital medicine from an accredited college/university (not Joe's Online College).

2. pass a written and oral exam

The requirements for the bachelors degree would be established by ACPM/ACEP and would obviously encompass necessary courses but at the same time the student would be required to meet the college/university's general education requirements. Those who have been working in the field would be allowed to be grandfathered in by a process to be determined by ACPM/ACEP but would include the written and oral board exams. The grandfather clause would be closed at a predetermined point in time.

So, now we have a bunch of college educated, board certified paramedics running around. How do we get the ambulance companies to hire them? Seems simple enough. We have ACPM/ACEP lobby congress to change the billing/fee process (all that money that I donate to ACEP/EMPAC might as well go somewhere). Make it mandatory for full payment that a pt be cared for by a board certified paramedic. Those that are not will only recover, say, 25-33% of what the board certified medic would recover. Set the payment schedule up similar to what we have in the ER. There would be certain levels of billing depending on the severity of the pt. No company would want to collect up to 75% less so they would be forced to hire the board certified medics. With the small supply of board certified medics the salary would go up. Given the current economic climate in the US, congress would love to be able to cut costs.

Eventually as it aged, ACPM would become an independent entity in the American Board of Medical Specialities. I've only given the topic a little thought, but it might work. I'd love to hear some feedback.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.