Are T-shirts a Professional Uniform

Is a t-shirt a professional EMS uniform ?  

43 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes
    • no
    • only during sleep hours

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might not be adverse to T-shirts during heat waves, if the design is as professional as possible and they are tucked in and the rest of the uniform is maintained. It's possible to make them look semi-professional. But as a regular uniform, I would say no, unless working inclement weather areas.

A uniform shift with the required undershirt can make working some calls in the heat pretty tough. A t-shirt only can make a significant difference through the course of the day. But this would probably be for 3 digit temps, in my opinion.

http://www.blauer.com/product-detail/8130-...e-Knit-Shirt/32

This is what most of the medics at work wear. Looks like a uniform shirt, made out of a knit material that's a hell of a lot cooler than a regular uniform shirt. And you can wash it and iron it...looks great. Saves $ on dry cleaning.

for the love of God tuck your shirt in. Nothing raises my BP faster than seeing firefighters or EMS crews wearing untucked polo or uniform shirts. Looks like sh!t.

Completely agree with you.

The young-uns are famous for it.

"Tuck them in young-uns", and "pull your pants up fatties".

Now we are getting somewhere...

I'll never forget putting my truck back together at Memorial Hermann in downtown Houston one evening. I had just closed the rear doors when I see a transfer truck pull up. The driver was at least 250lbs...probably closer to 300. Glasses. Unshaven. Wearing the biggest white short sleeve uniform shirt I've ever seen, with stains on it. Untucked.

With white tennis shoes on.

I was embarrassed to be seen in the same vicinity as him.

I think it's time to take the "emergency" off the sides of transfer trucks.

I think that t-shirts can be appropriate attire, especially in extremely hot and humid environments (like Florida). You look more professional in a well designed and not faded/stained t-shirt than a thick hot uniform shirt with sweat pouring down your face and perspiration stains under your arms. During sleep hours t's are good because you can just throw them on straight out of bed and they don't look overly wrinkled like uniform shirts with brass and badge.

I certainly would not expect doctors and nurses who work in the controlled environment of an office or hospital to be examining and treating patients in a t-shirt. But at our local ED the RN's wear scrub pants and t-shirts with the hospital name and logo.

Let's be clear on this:

White t-shirts are underwear (notice how they're right beside the BVD's and boxers in the store?)

T-shirts with logos, sayings or other printed material are considered 'casual wear'.

Uniforms will never be considered in either class.

Consequently, polo shirts are also considered 'casual wear', thereby making them inappropriate for uniforms as well.

Shorts have NO place on ANY scene!

T shirts aren't acceptable. We wear "class B" shirts starting in Nov until June during the day. We get to wear polos at night and during the daytime in between June and Nov, when it's hot outside. It gets pretty hot and steamy along the gulf coast in Texas, but t shirts never look professional.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.