Be Honest: Are You a Jerk?

JaxSage

People on the job think you're a jerk most likely because...  

31 members have voted

1. 1.

• I didn't know people thought that of me! I have no idea why!!
    • I speak my mind whether or not people like it.
    • I always argue and never seem to agree with anybody.
    • My years of experience tend to make me a know-it-all sometimes (okay, most of the time).
    • I tend to be nasty to the patients when I'm in a bad mood -- which is all the time.
    • I make my partners feel inferior and useless.
    • I'm just not really a nice person, I suppose.
    • I'm really reserved and don't say much...and I guess people mistake that for being a jerk.
    • I get into physical fights with my partners.

The only negative feedback I’ve had from teachers, preceptors and peers is I’m to quiet and need to talk more. Apart from that, just the usual stuff people normally say to students. I did have an old school nurse call me a “stupid boy” one shift for not doing an aspect dressing the way she learnt it back in 1903. It’s inevitable that I’ll come across someone who doesn’t like me sometime in my career, but I try my best.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I stated in the post about "Paragods"(the poster called it supermedic or something else). If everyone that works with you is calling you a jerk, you probably are one. Everyone has the "one" person that they dont get along with for whatever reason, but only the true jerks and paragods have issues with practically everyone they work with.

If you feel that you may be a "jerk", go to the supervisor who does the scheduling for your service, and ask them for some feedback, as they will have heard all the "reasons" people do not want to work with you.

Im more the reserved type (second to last option). Im usually really quiet and dont speak much untill spoken to. Part of it is trying to keep out of drama and cliques... the other is Im sometimes too outspoken for my own good. I can be very stubborn and opinionated... and when I see a problem Ill try to correct it, even if its not my own. So typically I just keep to myself. I also dont smile much and have my arms crossed alot, so I look stand-off-ish and unaproachable at times. Truth is Im just physically comfortable that way... Im not trying to look intimidating.

Anyways now Ill toot my own horn for a minute. Aside from what I said... most people seem to enjoy working with me. One on one conversations are more my thing than groups... so in the rig with my partner is usually ok. I have never recieved any bad feedback from partners, supervisors or patients in terms of my care... unless you count the occasional lack of self-confidence (which has never caused a negative effect though). I have been told Im a good person and good teacher, that it seems Id go out of my way for anyone, and that I have potential if I just cheer up and believe in myself.

So I guess that makes my story one of thoes "I need to love myself more" stories. :D

Ohhh... sorry I forgot something.

This is actually a big thing for you guys in the back, and rightfully so I understand. When I drive van ambulances for some reason I have a bit of trouble judging stops. Itll feel like Im slowing early and enough untill I get to where I should have stopped. And I hate driving over bridges and through open areas, they blow around easily. Im typically more comfortable driving mods... I dont know why.

All in all though, its nothing I cant work on though.

People sometimes think I'm a jerk till they get to know me. I am physically imposing and very focused on the job at hand. I sometimes forget the social niceties. When they get to know me, they realize that I am a very nice person who only acts like a jerk sometimes. :wink:

Seriously, I totally appreciate it when someone points out one of my errors. I LOVE the learning and I don't get my shorts in knot even if they do it in front of other people or non-tactfully. I forget that not everyone is like that.

I wasn't normally, but I could be. Depends if anyone else was being a jerk. Then I'd be a jerk right back.

I totally agree with dust. There is a particular person that works at my station, that doesn't wash the rig when he comes on duty. I will set up little things to see if he did. He always gets pissed when he comes on and I'm washing the unit for him because he won't wash it

Hey, I've worked with that same guy. But he would also tell others that he washed it when he didn't. That's what always got me irrate. Luckily most knew better.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.