Needing fire on a cardiac arrest

crazyemt5150

lol my bad a chance hit the wrong key..... but yea i guess cpr in the back of a rig is not the best but i dont know man we have protocol to leave people where they lay if we give it a strong try but i just see that its the little extra effort we have plus im not that far from a hospital so if i was 45 min away im sure my idea of a cardiac arrest might change

45 minutes, 5 minutes, it's all the same when looking at the effect of poor quality CPR (essentially no CPR) on a patient. What extra care does the hospital provide that a paramedic can't when looking at a cardiac arrest?

Just curious, does anyone have that link that was posted a few years ago that showed an echocardiogram on a patient undergoing CPR? I think there's a big difference between hearing that it takes 11 or so compressions to start circulating blood and actually seeing it.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol my bad a chance hit the wrong key..... but yea i guess cpr in the back of a rig is not the best but i dont know man we have protocol to leave people where they lay if we give it a strong try but i just see that its the little extra effort we have plus im not that far from a hospital so if i was 45 min away im sure my idea of a cardiac arrest might change

Are you even really a paramedic?

You're excused, the lazy boy is over there ----->

...but seriously, how many of your coworkers would cheer if they were told that they could drop their medic cert tomorrow and never have to run another medical call in their life without losing a dime of pay?

A few. Once they become an officer they have the choice to drop their Paramedic. But all must retain at least an EMT-A. But the majority stayed with it. My best friend who is now Chief didn't drop his until he became Asst. Chief. The office work wouldn't allow him in the field enough. And right now I know that all but one of the Capts. is still active.

So they can drop the ALS if they want, but still have to make EMS calls.

I don't think you need to give them a chance when doing so involves transporting L&S with an unbelted provider doing CPR in the back. We have to transport medical arrests in Ontario as a PCP unless your service is participating in ROC's TORIT study. Hopefully this study will change that.

If after running my whole SCA algorithm there is no ROSC what are the chances of that changing? Is their chances of survival higher than the chances of myself, my partner, another motorist or bystander being injured in an MVA while we run L&S? I don't think so.

All I have to say is WHY?

Ok I'll add more. There is no need for fire on a code. They fight fire. EMS does prehospital medicine. Unless you restart the patients heart no reason even to need a driver.

Hmm we have a Carevent, but its great to have another person in the back to help with CPR.

Then again our EMS is part of the FD so we have no problem getting help. Engines have a medic, and some EMT's on them. Great to have them in situations like this. For the most effective CPR its best to have more than 1 person says the AHA---I tend to believe them on this one! ;)

Hmm we have a Carevent, but its great to have another person in the back to help with CPR.

Then again our EMS is part of the FD so we have no problem getting help. Engines have a medic, and some EMT's on them. Great to have them in situations like this. For the most effective CPR its best to have more than 1 person says the AHA---I tend to believe them on this one! ;)

And since you are not going to be driving a code you can join your partner and that makes 2. Never said 1 person CPR. There are 2 people on the ambulance. No rolling codes means both people are free to work the code. :wink:

I know running rolling codes is a fact of life in some areas but don't try to defend it as best practice, or worthwhile, or anything like that. Rolling codes need to go and as quickly as possible.

it is a fact in the system i run in.... its just how we run things but i wouldnt say its the best practice because as everyone knows the system is different every where you go..... while we run code to the hospital here you guys may have a standard that says hey do cpr throw down 2 rounds and a get a tube and your done..... as i said its less than 1% this person is going to even get a pulse back.... but around here we just have the load and go policy and procedure in place.... we can leave them under certain circumstances but for the most part if not obvious we transport

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.