Needing fire on a cardiac arrest

crazyemt5150

You're spoiled. A great deal of the medics in the US don't have the luxury of all those extra hands. A lot of ER docs don't either. Yes, I've seen ER docs running an arrest with nothing but a nurse and the transporting crew (maybe) helping. A competent medic doesn't need a bunch of yard apes doing his grunt work for him.

Consider every opportunity to demonstrate that you really don't need firemonkeys in your face a victory, not a reason to complain.

I'm going to have to disagree on this one Dust. You need three people to give an arrest patient the best possible chance of ROSC. Most cars are only staffed with 2 people. Unless you run a 3 man crew that leaves you one short. Personally I would love to have a 3 medic crew for these type of calls but good luck convincing the higher ups that it's fiscally feasible.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok answer me this have you ever seen a physician in the emergency room working a cardiac arrest by himself, NO for one while he is getting ready to intubate, you have a nurse doing compression, normally a nurse starting a line and so forth. Once again I'm not trying to start anything but just get a grasp on how other companies work. I work for a private ambulance company and we don't have firemedics here. I have always seen a firefighter ride in with the crew on the way to the hospital. I have even seen a captain ride in just to help

Of course you could have other EMS professionals (your company does have multiple units and supervisors in fly cars, right?) assisting you. The idea that it's fire fighters or nothing is a false dichotomy.

Worked an arrest two days ago, fire was thanked and dismissed. We worked the code with the 2 EMT's that were also there, got ROSC, and began therapeutic hypothermia and transported. No need for fire. I won't send them packing if we are by ourselves, rotating CPR amongst the 4 FF's are better than me doing it, but we don't NEED them.

Of course you could have other EMS professionals (your company does have multiple units and supervisors in fly cars, right?) assisting you. The idea that it's fire fighters or nothing is a false dichotomy.

Exactly. If LA weren't wasting millions of dollars a year trying to justify fire budgets by forcing them to do EMS, there would be money left over to adequately staff EMS in the first place.

I work in a area where we have a two man crew and first responders. We are usually on scene before the first responders and they take over compressions.

If I don't get a return of circulation in 20 minutes then that patient is just a keeper of a sheet cover.

We rarely if ever (kids are different and arrests while transporting are exceptions) transport codes.

I'm going to have to disagree on this one Dust. You need three people to give an arrest patient the best possible chance of ROSC. Most cars are only staffed with 2 people. Unless you run a 3 man crew that leaves you one short. Personally I would love to have a 3 medic crew for these type of calls but good luck convincing the higher ups that it's fiscally feasible.

I should also mention that our dispatcher's first choice is always to send another one of our cars before fire. Fire is always the second choice when no other car is available. I'm not one to put an extra wind in Fire's sails. They seem to do a pretty good job of that all on their own. :wink:

[Ok answer me this have you ever seen a physician in the emergency room working a cardiac arrest by himself, NO for one while he is getting ready to intubate, you have a nurse doing compression, normally a nurse starting a line and so forth. Once again I'm not trying to start anything but just get a grasp on how other companies work. I work for a private ambulance company and we don't have firemedics here. I have always seen a firefighter ride in with the crew on the way to the hospital. I have even seen a captain ride in just to help

If you are doing CPR you should not be going down the road. That means there are two of you to work the code. Yes a third makes it easier but is not required. Yes I have seen as others here a doctor with one or two peopel work a code. At some point more people start being in the way.

If you are doing CPR you should not be going down the road. That means there are two of you to work the code. Yes a third makes it easier but is not required. Yes I have seen as others here a doctor with one or two peopel work a code. At some point more people start being in the way.
Exactly. We are fortunate to have the AutoPulse here to do compressions. It does much better and consistent compressions than anyone could do on their best day. That being said, the only way we would transport a code is if we had ROSC and then they're boarded to perform compressions if required. PD or any bystander can do compressions. All we as EMS professionals should require is someone to push med's and another to manage the airway.

Skills needed during a transport of a code:

Driver (one person)

BLS Skills:

Ventilation (one person)

Compression (one person)

ALS Skills:

Advanced Airway

Application of appropriate electricity

IV start

Administration of drugs (all can be done by one person)

Ideally, a total of 4 people. Never tried it with less than 3, but have done it with 3 people total.

Skills needed during a transport of a code:

[s:b82a78cdc2]Driver[/s:b82a78cdc2] (one person)

BLS Skills:

Ventilation (one person)

Compression (one person)

ALS Skills:

Advanced Airway

Application of appropriate electricity

IV start

Administration of drugs (all can be done by one person)

Ideally, a total of 4 people. Never tried it with less than 3, but have done it with 3 people total.

There fixed it. Remember no rolling codes. They are dead so do not risk everyone else rushing to the hospital.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.