EMS funeral's vs FD funeral's

Doug

I think the key wording is "UNDER NORMAL OPERATIONS", ambulances don't move deceased persons.

My experiences have had departmental funerals of the NYC EMS, and later of the FDNY EMS Command, where, at least in the area of the house of worship, or funeral chapels, where the religious service is held, an ambulance draped in the traditional black and purple mourning bunting actually carries the coffin as it passes the members "Manning The Rail" for the funeral detail.

Side note: The FDNY EMS Pipes and Drums Corps was founded, in part, because the FDNY Pipes and Drums Corps allegedly didn't like to play for non fire fighter funerals, even though the EMS members of the department are considered "Uniformed Members".

Depending on the FD, the only time a piece of fire apparatus is used to transport a fallen firefighter is when he/she died in the line of duty. If it was not in the LODD, a hearse is used. When my Capt. passed away we were readying an engine just for that, when they said we couldn't because it was not in the line of duty. It should have been deemed in LODD but the Chief was a real.....But that's beside the point.

I don't know about EMS. I've been to several EMS funerals, but none of them were LODD. But I do like the idea of covering the light bar and removing the cot lock down for EMS funerals. I don't know of any law in IL preventing an ambulance to transport, as long as it was out of service.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.