Tips for cold weather

JPINFV

Well, it looks like I just landed a part time job with a company north of Boston while I finish up my lab thesis, I have my next big challenge. Coming from Southern California, land where the lows rarely reach past the mid 50s, I'm faced with working in a place where the daytime highs might never get past freezing. Does anyone have any tips with, from a provider's standpoint, any tips for dealing with working in cold weather.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Store your beer and liquor outside, saves on refridgeration...

Dress in layers, lose laced boots, keep all flesh covered as much as possible. Easy on the caffeine, etoh, eat a balanced diet (if such a thing exist in EMS) keep your noggin covered, and move slow on ice.

Yeah, I know I'm in Georgia, but I spent several years in Germany and believe me, it gets cold there.

Get a coat with big fleece lined hand warmer pockets. Believe it or not, nitrile is not a good insulator and you're going to want a place to shove your hands whenever you've got a chance if treating outside.

If you really don't tolerate the cold well consider a couple of chemical heat packs handy for any long outside call to put in those pockets. As well as a pair of insulated leather gloves; be prepared to toss them if they get really messy.

A good hat goes a long way. Make sure it covers your ears.

Doesn't take a lot of snow to get over ankle boots so consider higher boots to help keep the snow out and the feet dry.

Finally, look at the service you're going to be working. Rural or serving a highway these become more important as you're more likely to catch outside calls. Built up urban, hat and mitts will probably cover you quite well.

Layering is the best way to dress.

It's a bit on the expensive side, but there's a company called Smartwool that makes base layers that are exceptionally warm, soft and non-scratchy(!). They also make really good socks, too. I've worn them for a while now and they're phenomenal. Expensive? Yes. But I've not been cold while wearing them (in similar conditions and colder to what you're describing).

If that's a little out of your price range you can try some Capilene base layers. Good stuff there, too.

Get a good hat that covers your ears.

If they don't provide some sort of jacket/sweatshirt for you, make sure whatever you wear on top has pockets so you can put your gloves and hat somewhere on your person when going inside.

Welcome to working in New England. :D

-be safe

With family in North Dakota (Grand Forks) already making the jokes about them having a heat wave (Temperature got UP to minus 5 degrees Fahrenheit), I'd pay attention to our members from the Dakotas, Alaska, or any of the Canadian members on how to stay warm while working.

Anybody from the military (any country) familiar with Ice and Snow survival skills want to comment?

Layers of clothing, insulated gloves, minimally a "watch cap" on my noggin, kind of sums up my "City-Scape" knowledge of cold weather work wear.

I'd caution on overdoing the layers too. You don't want to look like nanook of the north and then find yourself sweating like crazy because you spend the majority of your time in a patient's living room, the ambulance and the ED with only small section in the cold. Easy on and off so you can leave some of it in the ambulance in your gear bag is important.

I found my three in one parka too hot for most calls on rideout last year and just kept the fleece with my lunch in my bag. If the call info said outside I'd zip it back in. Even the 5-car MVC that happened in front of us I had time to toss on the fleece and then throw the shell over top. Good thing too, the hail and freezing rain were crazy on that one, had to practically crawl to the car I got assigned to.

Well, it looks like I just landed a part time job with a company north of Boston while I finish up my lab thesis, I have my next big challenge. Coming from Southern California, land where the lows rarely reach past the mid 50s, I'm faced with working in a place where the daytime highs might never get past freezing. Does anyone have any tips with, from a provider's standpoint, any tips for dealing with working in cold weather.

You don't know cold. Layers and a tuque and get yourself a few pairs of those gloves with the exposed fingertips. Makes it easy to do almost everything you need to do outside and are cheap enough to replace if you soil them.

OK.. so I was born 100 klicks south of the arctic circle and lived in Northern Ontario until I was 40. I did my paramedic ride time in Marinette Wisconsin during the coldest winter in recent memory. My tips....

The adrenalin is going and you are mostly in the ambulance, in patient residences or the ED. If you overdress you will sweat and if you sweat you will not be comfortable. In Marinette, the favorite EMS chair was directly in front of an air conditioner in the EMS room. Medics would sit in front of it in the middle of winter to cool down.

The only time cold was a real issue for us was if we were out in the middle of the highway on an MVC. Even then, 10 minute maximum scene time is not going to expose you to a lot of cold.

The big problem with cold is not for us but for our patients. I cannot tell you how often a sick person in their PJs is loaded onto the gurney and people get ready to take them out with one thin blanket. Put those layers on the patient. Several blankets and I would often "hood" a blanket for the patient's head.

Do not dress in layers that are hard to remove under your uniform. A good set of thermal underwear, a couple of pairs of socks and a pair of thinsulate gloves work well. Be sure to get your boots a size larger so you have room for extra socks. A good hat is a must.

Your outer gear needs to be your chief line of defense against the cold. I usually found that I had the big ole coat open.

Good luck

PS. it helps to be fat - I would retain old Milwaukee and twinkies.... kept me warm 8)

The big problem with cold is not for us but for our patients. I cannot tell you how often a sick person in their PJs is loaded onto the gurney and people get ready to take them out with one thin blanket. Put those layers on the patient. Several blankets and I would often "hood" a blanket for the patient's head.

PS. it helps to be fat - I would retain old Milwaukee and twinkies.... kept me warm 8)

It amazes me that this item mentioned by Kaisu is usually not covered (pun unintended) in the EMS classes, but is usually passed on by more experienced personnel to the newbies.

As for the fat of the body? I don't know. Sarah Palin, the former Republican VP candidate from Alaska, seems kind of trim, as does Tina Fey, her "SNL" impersonator.

I do like Twinkies.

As everyone else has mentioned use layers. They make it easy to adjust to your working environment. Go for an 8 inch boot with composite rather than steel toes/shank. They cost more but the warmer feet are worth it. If your going to be out in extreme climates for any amount of time your service should provide you with adequate turnout gear.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.