AMR strike LAS Vegas

jbanagas

LS you're way to smart to believe that Fire and Professional EMS are separate issues.

EMS has regularly made attempts to clean up their own backyard, but Fire is the neighbor's giant St. Bernard that keeps jumping the fence and shitting all over it. Simply do some searches concerning increased education in EMS and you'll find untold numbers of ads from the fire union warning the public how, if educational standards are raised, all of the fire houses will have to close and their babies are going to burn to death, in fact, life in our universe will cease to exist because we can't get enough heros with bushy mustaches to fill the shiny red trucks.

There is no pretty way that I can think to put it. Fire is purposefully, methodically and intelligently raping EMS. They spend millions and millions of dollars a year convincing the public that education is what neuters the heros they need to keep them safe. And they have a generation head start on the brainwashing. EMS needs to make some changes, but pretending that Fire is simply a scapegoat for a few simple woes we should deal with on our own is simply ignorant.

Fire isn't the only pathology, but it's a rapidly spreading, almost certainly terminal malignancy, and I'm afraid our insurance can't afford the treatment necessary for private EMS to survive.

Dwayne

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually if they do strike what better ammo at budget time to ask for a bigger piece of the pie by the fire department. Honestly they would be stupid not to use it in their budget negotions. Get the public concerned with misleading info- just look AMR left you with no one to save your loved ones, but we pulled extra shifts(fail to mention all the extra overtime made) to ensure you were safe. All the blue hairs would demand the leaders to pay fire more so that the ambulance would come. It works, and continues to work. Mislead the public and the money will come.

I did not start this as a bash to fire I just stated a fact of how it will be used if the strike happens. Heck if another large private EMS is in the area they would be dumb not to play it up as well. But as fire has the bigger more powerful unions they will benefit the most.

What misleading information is there should a strike occur????. Your statements are unfounded in this specific case. I see where you point does lie tho all that overtime that the ff will make is going to make them rich. The increase in trasnpot revenue may certainly l help offset these additional cost I know your no fan of the fire services involvement with EMS from your postings. But I will ask you two questions. If you were given an option to make overtime do to similiar circumstances would you refuse it? I think not.

If your communty had a similiar problem and had the resource of the fire service would you stand up and say NO don't let fire dept provide that service. Again I think not. I may be mistaken with your origianl posting as not bashing but certainly your last is.

I just hope a strike will be averted for my union brothers and sisters at AMR.

No my last post was not bashing. I state that fire would be stupid not to take advantage of the situation. I also stated any other type of service would be stupid not to use it to ask for more money for next years budget. How is that bashing?

The misleading info is that they did it out of concern for the public. If they did it out of concern for the public they would not expect the overtime etc. They just like you or me would do it first and foremost to pad our wallets. If the city said we need you to volunteer to fill this void for no extra pay they, you, and me would walk away laughing. It's about the money. But again I said they could play with the misleading info to ask for and get more money for the budget both fire and other EMS. Again I even said it would be stupid on all involved not to. So if you want to say I'm bashing anyone say I bashed the public for being gullible enough to listen. I did not lie or bash Fire or AMR or other. The only point any fire or AMR person might have is that IMHO they are holding EMS back.

LS you're way to smart to believe that Fire and Professional EMS are separate issues.

EMS has regularly made attempts to clean up their own backyard, but Fire is the neighbor's giant St. Bernard that keeps jumping the fence and shitting all over it. Simply do some searches concerning increased education in EMS and you'll find untold numbers of ads from the fire union warning the public how, if educational standards are raised, all of the fire houses will have to close and their babies are going to burn to death, in fact, life in our universe will cease to exist because we can't get enough heros with bushy mustaches to fill the shiny red trucks.

There is no pretty way that I can think to put it. Fire is purposefully, methodically and intelligently raping EMS. They spend millions and millions of dollars a year convincing the public that education is what neuters the heros they need to keep them safe. And they have a generation head start on the brainwashing. EMS needs to make some changes, but pretending that Fire is simply a scapegoat for a few simple woes we should deal with on our own is simply ignorant.

Fire isn't the only pathology, but it's a rapidly spreading, almost certainly terminal malignancy, and I'm afraid our insurance can't afford the treatment necessary for private EMS to survive.

Dwayne

I just called a place here in GA about taking the EMT-B and EMT-I 'combination course'. I found out that to graduate as an EMT-I only requires 200 hours, including clinical rotations and ride alongs. This is about 40 hours LESS than what I was required to have IN ADDITION to my clinicals and ride alongs.

Since this school has NOTHING to do with training those 'dumb hose monkeys', I would imagine that the biggest culprit in holding EMS back is EMS!

Rather than sit around and bitch about 'mean ol' Fire' setting the bar so low, maybe EMS needs to pull their head out of their collective asses and DEMAND higher education and tougher licensing standards!

Unfortunately, this will NEVER happen because EMS is too busy bemoaning the fact that 'fire has had a generation head start' to pull together, organize as a whole and THEN 'belly up to the bar' and start making demands as a collective unit.

Rather than sit and bitch about how well the IAFF is organized, maybe we should exercize the right to organize, dispell the MYTHS about working in a union business and TAKE ACTION!

Ok..first, take a breath.

Second, if you're going to quote my post, is just seems like good manners to address my points instead of simply restating yours. At no point did I mention "Stupid Hosemonkeys", my issue is with the organization, not the individuals. You said it, so please don't attach it to my post.

Take another shot, actually read my post, and I'd be happy to discuss your thoughts.

Dwayne

EMTDON970 Posted: 4 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again a union is going to mess things up...Imagine that.

Sounds like it Don. Sounds like the employees can't decide who they want to represent them.

I base my conclusion on what I have read.

Maybe I am off topic not sure. Have the non union employees benefitted from the previous contract that was in effect or did they have a seperate agreement for both non union and union? I am just curious if this type of work enviroment is in existance and how it works.

Sounds like they are not very well organized.

http://www.ktnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9351808

"AMR says there are questions as to which union represents more than a hundred EMTs and paramedics. "

I'll step out on a limb here and assume that they didn't JUST unionise, since the last contract was signed. That being said, if there was a question as to who was the union, look at the last contract, no?

Okay, here's my piece of the pie

I ride both sides of the fence. Full time EMS and PRN fire anymore. When the EMS board recently fell under the fire commission, I kept hearing gripes on all sides of the fence about how bad things were going to be. Well, it seems EMS was it's own worst enemy. Fire is pushing for higher education standards across the board, greater instructor requirements, and generalized improvements. However, there are a few concerning events which have happened recently regarding a new education push for an EMT advanced here so I'm not sure how that will play out. Was supposed to take effect the first of the year, and well now, it's all changing as the leader of the program was not reissued his seat on the board along with three others. Has solid EMS people crying foul and fire going WTF? Frankly I'm tired of the debate, can't we PLEASE just all get along? You know, if we didnt spend so much time pissing in each others yards, we might have a nice lawn instead just chunks of dead grass !

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.