AMR strike LAS Vegas

jbanagas

Fire is pushing for higher education standards across the board, greater instructor requirements, and generalized improvements.

Wow! What state do you work in? Here in AZ, DHS is debating the whole "Paramedic National Accreditation" thing. Currently, the LOUDEST voice against Ok'ing it for the state is Phoenix Fire. They say it would be such a hardship! $11k over 5 years! Which is funny, because they always seem to have the best of the best equipment... :?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kentucky baby ! Took alot to get this far, but we just went under technical college system and that put us with fire which automatically forced increased requirements. So plus one to fire for this one, but as I said, it's not been a dream boat and some actions as though mentioned earlier are being questioned...so we just have to ride it out. As was once told to me but oh so true - sometimes ya gotta spend money to make money.

You know that's something I hadn't considered. Up here, the downturn in the economy means there might be some hiring freezes and a halt to capital development projects for some services, but I'd looked at EMS as being a quite stable spot for me in a tanking economy. Good pay cheque and falling house prices? I didn't consider the effects on privates.

From what I understand, collection rates can be quite low in a lot of systems making profit margins razor thin. Is this the case? And if so, we'll private 911 run into the problem of people losing their jobs, relying on 911 and Emerg for their primary healthcare even more and since you have to respond but they won't be able to pay, will these be losing propositions? How was it during the last recession?

I remain a proponent of public EMS, but I'd hate to see any of you folks lose your jobs.

In the USA ambulance is not a required service so I expect even some city/county services to see big cuts or even be closed if the economy does not turn around fast. The privates will really take a big hit as medicaid/medicare/insurance cut back the amount they pay and for what reason they will even pay.

Spenac

In the USA ambulance is not a required service so I expect even some city/county services to see big cuts or even be closed if the economy does not turn around fast. The privates will really take a big hit as medicaid/medicare/insurance cut back the amount they pay and for what reason they will even pay.

You hit the nail on the head.

Spenac

Ooops forgot to include this will affect fire departments as well whether they have EMS or not. Maybe we will all be friends on the unemployment lines.

No worry I thought they were included as we all rely on reimbursement. Hopefully we'll meet in a different line and share a beer. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.