AMR strike LAS Vegas

jbanagas

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know anything about this. But I do know that both Clark County and LVFD are able to transport pts, and do. AMR seems to be there as a "3rd wheel" so to speak. Not making a judgement call on it either way, just saying that AMR doesn't have exclusive rights to transport there.

Now the fire departments will just use this to even get a larger piece of the pie.

Ahh yes, the age old 'Fire Department is out to destroy EMS' argument!

Did it ever occur to all you conspiracy buffs that EMS is destroying EMS?

I mean, with companies like AMR hiring and allowing people to work in the EMS field with blatantly falsified credentials...(and AMR has had it happen at least 3 times in as many months)....it CANNOT be a 'good thing' for the EMS field in general!

I for one am getting rather tired of the CONSTANT portrayal of the Fire Service as the 'bad guy' where EMS is considered, when EMS itself seems to be its own worst enemy!

I've heard the Fire Service getting blamed for the 'bare minimal educational standards' for EMS, but it seems to me that if EMS demanded higher educational standards as the 'norm', then the Fire Service would have to follow that lead in order to get ANY firefighters licensed as EMS providers.

I've seen the constant attacks on firefighters as being 'too dumb' to be able to render quality care, but have seen even 'college educated' EMT's (regardless of license level) who can't even speak in complete sentences, use proper punctuation or even proper grammar and spelling!

Granted, this is an EMS website, and I know how 'welcome' anyone from the Fire Service is here; so I'm fully expecting to draw a lot of fire on this, and I know that someone is going to be calling for my head on a platter for daring to stand up and defend the 'enemy'.

The whole point of this little ‘tirade’ is this: Wouldn’t it be a better use of effort and time to push for reform in the EMS industry, rather than attack a group that isn’t adequately represented and able to defend itself?

As a kid, I was always taught to clean up your own back yard before casting aspersions about someone else's property condition!

Ahh yes, the age old 'Fire Department is out to destroy EMS' argument!

Did it ever occur to all you conspiracy buffs that EMS is destroying EMS?

I mean, with companies like AMR hiring and allowing people to work in the EMS field with blatantly falsified credentials...(and AMR has had it happen at least 3 times in as many months)....it CANNOT be a 'good thing' for the EMS field in general!

I for one am getting rather tired of the CONSTANT portrayal of the Fire Service as the 'bad guy' where EMS is considered, when EMS itself seems to be its own worst enemy!

I've heard the Fire Service getting blamed for the 'bare minimal educational standards' for EMS, but it seems to me that if EMS demanded higher educational standards as the 'norm', then the Fire Service would have to follow that lead in order to get ANY firefighters licensed as EMS providers.

I've seen the constant attacks on firefighters as being 'too dumb' to be able to render quality care, but have seen even 'college educated' EMT's (regardless of license level) who can't even speak in complete sentences, use proper punctuation or even proper grammar and spelling!

Granted, this is an EMS website, and I know how 'welcome' anyone from the Fire Service is here; so I'm fully expecting to draw a lot of fire on this, and I know that someone is going to be calling for my head on a platter for daring to stand up and defend the 'enemy'.

The whole point of this little ‘tirade’ is this: Wouldn’t it be a better use of effort and time to push for reform in the EMS industry, rather than attack a group that isn’t adequately represented and able to defend itself?

As a kid, I was always taught to clean up your own back yard before casting aspersions about someone else's property condition!

Wow did you just blow a gasket? :shock:

EMS as a whole does suck. As a whole it needs rebuilt, but the largest groups being Fire and AMR, refuse to allow it to progress. There are a few services insisting on people being truly competent, but most just want a warm body at a low price.

Honestly if fire with it's all powerful unions pushed for improvements it would happen.

I would still have a problem being forced to be a firefighter in order to be a healthcare professional. It makes no sense to me that two so very different professions are lumped together.

spenac Posted: 4 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the fire departments will just use this to even get a larger piece of the pie.

This is not about who gets a piece of pie. AMR employees there feel they should have a fair and equitable contract. There only recourse to gain that contract is to strike. I am sure there negotiations have gone on for months with out any agreement in order to have come to the point of striking.

Lats year here in Massachusetts AMR took a strike vote and it passed. AMR management approach all the surrounding private an municipal EMS providers with a request for assistance should there employee's go on strike. I can say with most certainty that no fire based provider rejected there request for assistance to cover there contracted cities or towns should they strike.

The final day the strike was to happen an agreement was reached and AMR employees showed up did there job with professionalism as always.

AMR employees are afford that option to strike. We here in Massachusetts as municipal Fire/EMS providers are not afford that same option.We cannot strike by law.

I will also say that no FD got any bigger piece of the pie because of that possible strike.'There will always be those that do not like things and those that do like things. But bashing ones view and making non factual statements is not very proactive for any of us.

Lets just hope that the strike is averted for all parties involved.

spenac Posted: 4 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is not about who gets a piece of pie. AMR employees there feel they should have a fair and equitable contract. There only recourse to gain that contract is to strike. I am sure there negotiations have gone on for months with out any agreement in order to have come to the point of striking.

Lats year here in Massachusetts AMR took a strike vote and it passed. AMR management approach all the surrounding private an municipal EMS providers with a request for assistance should there employee's go on strike. I can say with most certainty that no fire based provider rejected there request for assistance to cover there contracted cities or towns should they strike.

The final day the strike was to happen an agreement was reached and AMR employees showed up did there job with professionalism as always.

AMR employees are afford that option to strike. We here in Massachusetts as municipal Fire/EMS providers are not afford that same option.We cannot strike by law.

I will also say that no FD got any bigger piece of the pie because of that possible strike.'There will always be those that do not like things and those that do like things. But bashing ones view and making non factual statements is not very proactive for any of us.

Lets just hope that the strike is averted for all parties involved.

Actually if they do strike what better ammo at budget time to ask for a bigger piece of the pie by the fire department. Honestly they would be stupid not to use it in their budget negotions. Get the public concerned with misleading info- just look AMR left you with no one to save your loved ones, but we pulled extra shifts(fail to mention all the extra overtime made) to ensure you were safe. All the blue hairs would demand the leaders to pay fire more so that the ambulance would come. It works, and continues to work. Mislead the public and the money will come.

I did not start this as a bash to fire I just stated a fact of how it will be used if the strike happens. Heck if another large private EMS is in the area they would be dumb not to play it up as well. But as fire has the bigger more powerful unions they will benefit the most.

I don't believe in Fire Based EMS as the best option but in this case, nothing here seems to be the doing of or problem of the Fire Service. A private company dropped the ball huge at the expense of the public (by the way, not a private EMS fan either) and the Fire Department is picking up the slack. Yes this means more fire based EMS, yes this is good for LVFD; but I don't fault them at all for it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.