Guns don't kill 12 y/o Trick or treaters....People do....

akflightmedic

Perhaps he was in fear for his life. Perhaps he had been threatened earlier. To open the door when expecting a person that threatened you would be stupid. So perhaps at the knock he decided to defend himself thinking it was the bad guy. Don't judge till we have all the facts. It is sad that a young person died.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps he was in fear for his life. Perhaps he had been threatened earlier.
So why not just call the cops if he was threatened earlier? There IS no excuse for this accident when it comes right down to it.

So why not just call the cops if he was threatened earlier? There IS no excuse for this accident when it comes right down to it.

Lets wait to hear his excuse before we say there is no excuse. Unless you were there you do not know why he felt he had to pull the trigger. Odds are there is no real excuse but do not judge w/o all the facts.

As a gun owner, firearms instructor and homeowner, I have to say there is no excuse for firing through the front door. Going to the gun should be the LAST resort after all other security measures have failed. This person was inside their home and armed and yet felt it was necessary to fire at someone outside the home and unarmed? I'll be interested to hear the exact circumstances, but even if they were in fear for their life from a previous bad encounter, there is no justification for what they have done.

...my question is was there alcohol involved in this incident?

Well, the trick-or-treaters and their parents were coming from a party, so that is quite possible.

Or did you mean the shooter? I'd say it's more likely there was crack involved with him.

Which, of course, raises the question... what was the racial breakdown here?

"An ex-convict who thought he was being robbed gunned down a 12-year-old trick-or-treater, spraying nearly 30 rounds with an assault rifle from inside his home after hearing a knock on the door, police said Saturday."

"He told police he had been robbed and shot in the past year.

"He wasn't going to be robbed again, and he wasn't going to be shot again," Patterson said Saturday at a news conference."

"Patterson said Patrick had multiple drug convictions but police do not believe he was under the influence of drugs or alcohol during the shooting. "

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hRQwzyL...38aUrAD946DN2G0

[web:fc4f85af25]http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hRQwzyLHeXFy9MJwA44-IE38aUrAD946DN2G0[/web:fc4f85af25]

I'm all for protecting yourself and your home even with deadly force if it's warranted - but discharging your weapon in such a careless manner is criminal. The only time deadly force is warranted is to counter the same and spraying the outside of your home with an assault rifle when somebody knocks at your door is far from being justifiable, even if you had been a victim in the past.

Yeah, and this can not have been the first time that evening that someone knocked on his door either.

He didn't have to be whacked on crack. All the crack in the past fried his brain. And, of course, when you're selling dope from your house, paranoia is just part of the deal.