Seizure at the dentist's office

zzyzx

Here's a call I ran last month. We responded to a "seizure" at a dentist's office. When we got there, one of the dental assistants led us to one of the rooms where the patient was laying in his chair. "I think he had a seizure, but he's unresponsive now and I don't think he's breathing."

You look down at the patient, and he is quite obviously in cardiac arrest. Downtime unclear. The staff did not realize that he was dead.

The patient is a 35 y/o male. Normal build, no medical history, no meds. Came into the office for a toothache and was given a local anesthetic (epi/lidocaine) during the procedure. You later find out that he'd complained to his brother about not feeling well all day.

When you patch him up, he's in PEA. Resuscitation efforts are unsuccessful.

Any thoughts on what killed him?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The anesthetic was only local, no gas? I'd say the anesthetic with an underlying undiagnosed cardiac problem or even anaphylaxis.

It seems like I remember something about a dentist accidently injected the anesthetic into a vein and it caused some problems. I've had it done to me before but nothing happened other than a funky pain going all throughout my face and head. But in certain patients it can cause convulsions and other cardiac problems.

Actually, if the dentist does any kind of conscious sedation stuff...look at pupils...they like to use narcs and benzos for sedation. My wife has run several of "these" calls from an office in south Scottsdale...and of course, they do it without a cardiac monitor... :shock: