Another Medivac accident

Do you call helicopters based on protocols (mechanism of injury, damage to vehicle, DOS in same vehicle, etc...), or do you make transport decisions based upon the medical evaluation of the patient and his actual injuries?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or do you make transport decisions based upon the medical evaluation of the patient and his actual injuries?

WOW some places are allowed to think and use aeromedical as needed instead of being forced to call them to justify thier existance!

My county has pretty aggressive protocols all around (i.e. RSI and basics giving combivent treatments), but as far as air transport is concerned there is criteria for requesting helo support such as- falls greater than 20 ft, MVA rollover w/ ejection, fatality @ scene or in same vehicle, and so on. However most medics and emts use this as a guide and if you think the pt needs a trauma center due to injuries or mech of injury than you do have the freedom to call for a helicopter. You might have to explain why the next morning but if you use good judgment then you wont have a problem.

Just an update on the MD Medevac accident.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal...0,5142908.story

As I suspected, it was the Uber Whacker Rescue Squad that didn't want to drive to the hospital. Gotta get some sleep so they can go to their real job in the morning.

http://www.waldorfvfd.com/sta3ems.html

The usual disclaimers of not being there, not knowing the individuals or agencies involved, or inter agency gripes is now invoked by me.

If a dispatcher commented on a recorded line that an agency using their services was being in any way lazy, true or not, was something the dispatcher should not have said. If that was the dispatcher's opinion, it still was not the proper forum for the opinion to be expressed. Same thing, even if the accusation were true.

The on scene crew that requested the helo might have seen s/s that they truly felt necessitated the Medevac flight.

with all do respect i believe as above stated that the main part of the article is based on the fact that it was the dispatchers opinion and propably without the actual expression of the particular individual's tone of voice then we will propably never understand what the article might mean unless the writer simply said i was trying to make it sound like this. Pen is always mightier than the sword because with everything i just said the nutshell someone might say is "Am i suggesting the dispatcher was just being a B%$#@ on the phone?" :roll:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.