The Pre-Employment Lift Test...

Eydawn

I passed it. But here's what I have to say to that nasty box full of weights... curse you box, curse you!

60 pounds to a 39 inch shelf. 67 pounds to the 39 inch shelf, then to the "shoulder height" shelf (which was almost above my head). 75 pounds to the 39 inch shelf. 90 pounds to the 39 inch shelf. 115 pounds to the 39 inch shelf. 125 pounds to the shelf, then waddle back and forth in the office for 3 trips.

Since when do patients come in box form? And if anyone posts a picture of spongebob, I will be forced to kill you... :cry:

Man, that was a bastard of a test. I hated it. But I passed it so it looks like I'm golden, as long as I pass the IV class, to start working real prehospital EMS.

:) :) :)

--Wendy

Step test? Not really.. I mean.. they had me dancing all over this aerobics step thing but that was without a weight...

--Wendy

Kudos Wendy! I'm glad you were able to pass their test. Not exactly sure how it equates to lifting a patient and stretcher, but you passed their requirements and that's all that matters. Oh, and welcome to EMS.

Not really sure how the test described relates to EMS, but I do see the need for a lifting test prior to hiring, having worked with partners who couldn't lift. Nothing will break your back quicker than having a partner who can lift her end of the stretcher.

Our lift test consist of moving a supine patient from the floor to a LSB and then placing them on the stretcher at its lowest setting, raising it to full up position and then loading it into the truck. We use a 200 lb person for the test. It will quickly show who can and can't preform.

I questioned the reason for lowering the stretcher all the way down, as we never do that. My co-worker pointed out to me, and I have to concede the point, that when we go on scene with the fire dept, the fire fighters will 9 times out of 10 grab the stretcher while we are assessing the patient, and they damn near always lower it down as low as it will go.

Anyway, I agree 100% with having a lifting test.

I don't know how it relates to EMS either, to be really honest. I think it's looking for "can you lift something heavy on your own" which is definitely a plus... but I would have MUCH RATHER done a dummy with a partner up the stairs or on the cot... I've done that before, and I'm very much more used to carrying stretchers or baskets than boxes. Different muscle groups, if you ask me.

Thanks for the welcome, guys... I'm looking forward to the challenge. It's taken me way too long to break into this part of prehospital medical care.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

i did up and down 3 steps 5x's then walk ten paces put it down and pick it up walk 10 paces put it down, yeah that 5x's times, then pick up walk backwards put down 5 x's, and started it all off with a treadmill walk at 2 speeds for two minutes, my thighs burned and calfs ached but i got through it just fine. did realize i need to get back into shape asap!

paramidget

• Like 1