why do we continue to do cpr????

MSBMEDIC

let's do this, have every medic obtain a bs in physiology and then train countless hours on practicality of being a paramedic and after 4-5 years total have them apply for a medic and then get paid annual saluary of 40,000-45,000 in oklahoma. then wait after they become new employees of a company that pays low wages due to low pay of care by private, medicare, and medicaid insurance to these companys, they have to become nremt-p, cct-p, acls, phtls, pals, and dont forgrt CPR certified.

after all this education and training you will not have one medic working the streets.

Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If we were actually educated professionals we would be able to demand and receive better compensation. There would be fewer people competing for the jobs thus driving up our bargaining powers. Also all those alphabet courses equal no real education.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rid, as always you bring up good points. However, we still do thoracotomies on trauma pts despite it's dismal success rate. Despite the low success rates of thoracotomies and CPR, we still do them because they have a better success rates than the alternative (which carries a 100% mortality rate).

How true a small chance is better than no chance.

Now I see no need to load a dead person and do rolling CPR. If you do not get pulse back on scene, call the funeral home rather than risk yours and the publics lives rushing a dead body to the ER.

let's do this, have every medic obtain a bs in physiology and then train countless hours on practicality of being a paramedic and after 4-5 years total have them apply for a medic and then get paid annual saluary of 40,000-45,000 in oklahoma. then wait after they become new employees of a company that pays low wages due to low pay of care by private, medicare, and medicaid insurance to these companys, they have to become nremt-p, cct-p, acls, phtls, pals, and dont forgrt CPR certified.

after all this education and training you will not have one medic working the streets. THATS WHY YOU FORMER MEDICS ARE NOW RN'S AND ACTING LIKE SECOND COMING, BUT NOTHING MORE THAN WAITRESSES RUNNING FROM ONE RM. TO THE NEXT.

SIMPLICITY IS HERE TO STAY... AND WITH 75 MILLION BABYBOOMERS NEARING THAT AGE WE WILL NEED TO STOP CPR, PUT MORE MEDICS ON THE STREET, PUT LESS MONEY INTO " FIRE EQUIPMENT" AND MORE INTO EMS ( WE SHOULD'NT HAVE FIRE STATIONS, WE NEED MEDICAL STATIONS), PAY MEDICS MORE IN SALUARY, BENEFITS, ECT... IF YOU WANT THEM TO LEARN MORE

SIMPLICITY IS HERE AND IF YOU WANT US TO LEARN MORE "NURSE RATCHET", GIVE US THE MONEY.

Can somebody please help me here. Is it me or does this change the original question from one based on medicine without any real stats to back it up, to one of finance? As a medic, only a medic, made EMS my career as a medic, you just threw your entire thread down the drain with this one single post. Do we all want to be compensated for the jobs we do? Hell yes, but now the basis for your argument is that we should stop doing CPR solely based off of a monetary issue. Until we see the money we should stop CPR? How can you disregard the opinions of the RNs (who by the way might actually still be working the streets) with such malice? Maybe I'm reading way to far into this post, but it seems that your now saying that Until we start seeing better pay and benefits we should start limiting the life-saving skills that is the basis for our entire existence as medics.

I agree with the argument about no transport on people with cpr in progress OK. However here is a situation that we have to deal with in our area. If a person dies in the residence, it is either abandoned or burned by the surviving family. So there are a few cases that to prevent the family from having to do this. We will transport the pt with cpr that would normally be pronounced in the field. This is a cultural / spiritual belief. If it is an obvious DOA then we will pronounce on scene of course. Does anyone else have issues like this in their response area?

I agree with the argument about no transport on people with cpr in progress OK. However here is a situation that we have to deal with in our area. If a person dies in the residence, it is either abandoned or burned by the surviving family. So there are a few cases that to prevent the family from having to do this. We will transport the pt with cpr that would normally be pronounced in the field. This is a cultural / spiritual belief. If it is an obvious DOA then we will pronounce on scene of course. Does anyone else have issues like this in their response area?

Yes. We just request PD to stay until the ME or funeral home comes for the patient. For certain parts of the city and with some calls where this is likely to be a problem, they will be dispatched with Rescue.

after all this education and training you will not have one medic working the streets. THATS WHY YOU FORMER MEDICS ARE NOW RN'S AND ACTING LIKE SECOND COMING, BUT NOTHING MORE THAN WAITRESSES RUNNING FROM ONE RM. TO THE NEXT.

SIMPLICITY IS HERE TO STAY... AND WITH 75 MILLION BABYBOOMERS NEARING THAT AGE WE WILL NEED TO STOP CPR, PUT MORE MEDICS ON THE STREET, PUT LESS MONEY INTO " FIRE EQUIPMENT" AND MORE INTO EMS ( WE SHOULD'NT HAVE FIRE STATIONS, WE NEED MEDICAL STATIONS), PAY MEDICS MORE IN SALUARY, BENEFITS, ECT... IF YOU WANT THEM TO LEARN MORE

SIMPLICITY IS HERE AND IF YOU WANT US TO LEARN MORE "NURSE RATCHET", GIVE US THE MONEY.

Although, I agree with the "baby boomer" will me more demand than the ability to provide care, the rest you spew is just that.

Actually, I have seen a sudden change in the Paramedic to RN. Alike I have done obtaining multiple nursing degrees, went back to the field full time. This is not just those that just became an RN but even myself after being an RN for 19 years realize I can make just as much a year as a Paramedic than as a RN. Sorry, even at $28.00 hr, I still make more per year.. yes, less an hour but the one thing is, I do not have to stand on my feet for a solid 12 hours, I know my schedule for the entire next year, in general I only have to take care of one serious patient (not two vents and one B.S. or baby sit 4 or 5).

I know of at least three very seasoned RN's and Paramedics returning back to the field. One can find that happiness is sometimes better than a pay raise.

Your analogy of only one medic is pure B.S., there will be those that really want to be a medic. Sure financial security is very important and who does not want to make more? I can assure you though, one will not find it in nursing either.

Bottom line, you want to get paid as a professional then one has to to go through the hoops alike all the other professionals and a 1 year Vo-Tech program won't cut that. You are getting the same pay as equivalent for the same length and training ... an LPN. Until you have proven such, we will never be recognized or be paid to be such.

Hopefully, there will be those that entered this profession for the right reason and will remain it for that.

R/r 911

If it means anything, I know plenty of people with BS's who earn 40-50k a year or sometimes less. Just ask a biology teacher.

Simplicity is a good thing. It always has been. I'm not arguing against simplicity. But what you fail to realize is that education does equal simplicity. An educated person looks for the most simple solution to a problem. Its the basis for most engineering.

I'm totally happy with working up patients under logical downtime criteria. We've had a number of saves and just view all those codes on people who knew weren't going to make it as practice for those who would make it.

Works for me.... and probably for the families of the revived victim with decent quality of life (even if very few).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.