What does your work out routine consist of???

CheekyEMT

I'm looking to change things up a bit with my work out routine and am wondering what everyone else does and whether or not you supplement with anything.

My work out routine is Mon -Fri first thing in the morning. I put 45 min's on the treadmill in the morning at a pace of 5.5 ( I"m in Canada so the pace on an american treadmill may be different) pace of 5.5 is a jog with an incline of 5. I then do a weight circuit for 20 min's every other day. Then after the rugrats have gone to bed I put another 30 min's on the treadmill at a pace of 6 and incline of 5.

I supplement every day with whey protein isolate, omega 3's, flaxseed oil, multi vitamin and calcium.

I'm getting bored with my routine and want to change things up a bit to keep me motivated. What does your work out consist of???

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So soon after your hospitalization?

Have to ask, did your Doctor approve you for any exercise program this quickly?

If yes, go for the program you already covered, or whatever you feel most comfortable with per recommendations.

Hey there... I used to run and lift weights. After a while, I burned out on it. I decided that I would only exercise if I loved it. I rode horses and did heavy landscaping work. My big thing for the last 4 years or so has been Taekwondo. I do 8 - 10 hours a week and believe me, it is enough. I wanted to improve my cardiac efficiency and build my stamina, so for the last couple of months I have been on the elliptical. I mix up the programs and usually sweat bullets for 35 minutes 5 times a week. Stretching is super important and I maintain flexibility with a stretch routine every second day after I have done the aerobic stuff.

The key for me is to keep mixing it up and enjoy it as much as I can. The rewards are terrific. Good luck.

So soon after your hospitalization?

Have to ask, did your Doctor approve you for any exercise program this quickly?

If yes, go for the program you already covered, or whatever you feel most comfortable with per recommendations.

Honestly, no. I have not asked the doc about it. I feel good and am ready (IMO) to get back into my regular routine. I figure as long as I don't over do it and know when to quite then it's all good. I will mention it to my doc when I go to see him on the 26th and if he wants me to modify/stop for now then I"ll listen to him.

Hey there... I used to run and lift weights. After a while, I burned out on it. I decided that I would only exercise if I loved it. I rode horses and did heavy landscaping work. My big thing for the last 4 years or so has been Taekwondo. I do 8 - 10 hours a week and believe me, it is enough. I wanted to improve my cardiac efficiency and build my stamina, so for the last couple of months I have been on the elliptical. I mix up the programs and usually sweat bullets for 35 minutes 5 times a week. Stretching is super important and I maintain flexibility with a stretch routine every second day after I have done the aerobic stuff.

The key for me is to keep mixing it up and enjoy it as much as I can. The rewards are terrific. Good luck.

Do you supplement with anything?

I have been doing this same routine for the past yr. I do enjoy it...I love being on the treadmill. The weights , not so much, but it's a necessary evil. I need to improve the upper body strength. I don't go to the gym, I do it all at home in our home gym.

I will be stepping into the world of Karate with my 7 yr old end of this month and have been trying to beat down my desire to run a marathon. It's something I have never done but the desire is there.

Problem I have been running into is the weight loss. I don't need to lose anything, in fact gaining a few wouldn't be so bad. I lost a few when I was sick last month and it hasn't stopped. I"m not exercising to lose weight, I"m exercising to be healthy, but it seems as though I'm dropping between .5-1lb/day. Every morning I weigh myself and it's always down by half to one pound from the day before. I weigh 126lbs and am 5'4. I've dropped 2 pant sizes since I was in the hospital. I've always exercised like this , I enjoy running...it makes me feel good and it's my "little escape" and how I like to spend the little bit of "me" time that I get.

I supplement to be sure my body is getting everything it needs and add the whey protein to maintain the lean muscle, so I don't lose any of that. I"m not restricting my diet, well , not any different then I was before. I don't eat junk, I"m pretty much a health freak. Hubby gets annoyed with it sometimes, he says I go over board. But I prefer a healthy lifestyle. I can eat a big fat steak and then have a chocolate bar every day and I'd still be losing. My doc weighs me once a month to keep track of it.

All I'm looking to do is get my exercise level back up to where it was before I was sick. What I'm doing now isn't giving me the work out I want....I have a hell of a time getting my heart rate up to my target zone and keeping it there through the entire work out......Most times I never get it up to the target zone. I think I'd have to increase the pace and incline on the treadmill almost twice what it is now to get it there. After 15 min's at a pace of 6 and incline of 5 my heart rate is only 90 and I can still talk on the phone..lol....yes, I have done that the odd time. But as Richard pointed out, I don't have the doc's approval to be doing any of this right now and don't want to over do it until I talk to him.

With this rapid, weird weight loss after having been hospitalized, I cast my vote with you going in to be evaluated and get advice about workout routines before you continue further. Losing weight like that is not good.

Good luck!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I agree with Wendy. That kind of weight loss is worrying. Get checked out girl!

Re suppliments - I take a multivitamin and D - that's it but I love to eat clean. Salmon a couple of times a week, red meat only one or twice a month, whole grains, lots and lots of veggies, fruits for snacks, etc. Baked goods are my weakness and I restrict them to once a week.

I am currently refining my diet and suppliments may be a part of it at sometime. I am blessed with robust health, and make lasting changes only when something stops working. (although at 50, it seems that it either sags, leaks or grows hair :roll: )

Right now goal is to gain size, so low reps, high weights, each body area only once a week, 2-3 min rest per set, no fatiguing muscle, only overloading it. Limited intense cardio sessions. http://www.ast-ss.com/max-ot/max-ot_intro.asp

Later I'm looking into Crossfit (what the guys from 300 used)

I'm the type that needs a very specific program to follow in order to keep with it.

Right now goal is to gain size' date=' so low reps, high weights, each body area only once a week, 2-3 min rest per set, no fatiguing muscle, only overloading it. Limited intense cardio sessions. http://www.ast-ss.com/max-ot/max-ot_intro.asp

What are your cardio sessions consisting of? Your weight regiment seems pretty intense....I'm sure I need to increase the weights a little if I want to gain a little upper body strength...cocking my husbands cross bow has proved to be a challenge (175lb draw weight).....but don't want anything extreme there.