Disaster team assembly for Gustav

akflightmedic

Thankfully the mayor of New Orleans has been very proactive this time. They started evacuating the city yesterday and the buses will be running out of N.O. until midnight tonight and then start again in the morning. Most of N.O. is shut down.

The company I work for is contracted with AMR and Acadian ( I think) and they are the ones who called us, not AAA ( American Ambulance Association). We didnt go "trolling" as you put it, we were asked to come and we went.

Last time there was more than 500 ambulances that deployed from around the country. They all worked long hours with very little sleep and every one of them was one the road, evacuating people out of the bayous or evacuating hospitals. Nobody sat around and did nothing. Hopefully (im keeping my fingers crossed) people learned from 3 years ago and are getting out early.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By looking at the image I got from my hurricane tracking program, it looks like New Orleans has been saved from a 'direct hit', and if Hanna stays on track, will save New Orleans from another double punch, like it took in 2005.

[web:059708ed6f]http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g185/LONESTAR08/Stormdoublepunch.jpg[/web:059708ed6f]

I'm sure everyone that is involved in EMS got into this job solely to help people. None of them got into it so they'd have cool stories of fake heroics to tell chicks at the bar. You're on here preaching about how you're going to carry your butts down there and help out without complaint. Good for you. While you're at it, forget about your own community.

My hospital is knee-deep in the middle of opening a brand new ER. The Bishop came to bless the new ER and there was a huge celebration a few nights ago. It was a major happening, so major that nearly EVERYONE in my department felt the need to be there. I spent the better part of two hours trying to take care of the patients that were no longer important because something big and news-worthy was going on.

I'd hate to see anyone miss their chance at fame because they weren't involved in some major event. I missed the clause that said it's perfectly acceptable to ignore our own patients for the chance of being involved in some major, attention-getting event. You bash me all you want. I have patients here that rely on me, and I'm not deserting them to go play in New Orleans. I don't need any cool war-stories.

I have already been in contact with Acadian as I did a 30 day contract with them during Rita.

At this time, they are not hiring short term contractors like they did last time. They will let us know if and when they need us. They did advise calling the state EMS office and offering assistance as well.

Here is the number.."You may want to contact La State also 225-763-5700"

If you do not get to go on this disaster, use this as a spur in the saddle for you to prepare yourself for the next one. Take whatever classes you can and join a DMAT or some sort of disaster response team. The people who have trained and organized months and years prior to responding are always the ones that will be called in first.

Joe Blow come help us now will not be called until resources are overwhelmed or shit hits the fan as displayed during Katrina and Rita. There was way too much cowboying/freelancing going on during those storms. I spent 63 days there and was amazed at the people that were turning up.

I recently Volunteered for the Red Cross I actually filled out my ppr wk a few days ago and I was going to talk to them about the Disaster Relief Team. I would be there in a heartbeat if I was not in school. :D

This is what I got in an e mail today if anyone wants it. Call your local Red Cross for their info, this is for Tacoma Washington.

As Tropical Storm Gustav stands poised to enter the Gulf of Mexico as a hurricane this weekend, the American Red Cross is preparing to assist residents in the storm’s path with evacuation shelters, feeding, and other needed services. The Red Cross is mobilizing both material and human resources in preparation.

Red Cross workers from across the country are traveling into the area. Hundreds of Red Cross mobile feeding trucks are being moved into Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama in addition to thousands of cots and blankets, tens of thousands of comfort kits and ready to eat meals. Our first priorities before and after landfall will be to ensure people have safe shelter, food, comfort items and emotional support.

In support of Red Cross disaster relief efforts, the American Red Cross Mount Rainier Chapter is reaching out to our community partners. Please ask your members if they would like become trained Red Cross disaster volunteers. All volunteers must fill out an application, pass a background check, receive an orientation, and be trained. They can start the application and training process now and take the necessary steps to volunteer locally or begin the training needed to go out on a national assignment.

Potential volunteers need to receive all the disaster training before any possibility of being sent out on a national Red Cross disaster relief assignment involving Tropical Storms Gustav, Hannah, or any other disaster. This does not guarantee that the volunteer will be deployed. As the need for additional volunteers increase for this and other disasters, those who are already have their paperwork processed and trained will be offered the opportunity to serve. Red Cross national disaster relief assignments are for three-week durations.

Monday, September 8, 2008 @ 8 AM to 6 PM

Red Cross Disaster Volunteer Orientation & Training

1235 South Tacoma Way, Tacoma, WA 98409

Additional training to be scheduled – please leave information regarding times available for training.

American Red Cross Mount Rainier Chapter

Pierce County Office

Hotline / Information Line – (253) 441-7652

web@rainier-redcross.org

Hopefully your right sandmedic... but hell it is good to know that there are so many willing to help I guess.

I sent an email to Acadian and got a response, but all it said was they will forward my interest to the HR Office, this was from the Public Information Officer I believe.

Sooooo, pulling this trainwreck back on topic.... Does anyone know how I can volunteer, or better, get paid to go help in either LA or TX? Any links or 800 numbers besides the first post? OTF-1 has contacted our county Fire Cheif's Assn. and Ohio is trying to send 400 EMT-Ps. I'm a B and our station can't send an ambulance but my services are availible and I want to know how to help... Seriously help.

Hopefully you can call your local state EMS agency and they can fill you in on more information. PEMA is what activates Pennsylvania's strike/surge teams, so perhaps you can look into something equivalent in your state. What state are you BTW??

Also, thank you for having a heart and caring. The people I work with who are headed down that way had to find their own coverage at their jobs prior to going so that the locals wouldn't stripped bare.

My company sent 3 trucks down with 2 medics and 4 EMTs, very dumb, we have no employees here and have blown so many calls. Personally we should be worried about our town and contracts

I agree, send some, but leave enough back to cover that people that depend on us. It's great to help out down south, but we still need to be able to provide coverage at home.

Since we don't know where the storms will go after they come ashore, the people on the rest of the East Coast may end up seeing trouble at home. Flooding, Wind Damage, Tornadoes.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=LIX...11&loop=yes

Select: Long Range Images - Loop

Auto Update - On

Hey....does anybody know a company that hires paramedic's and police officers? I would love to do something like that but I'm thinkin' my "new" hubbie wouldn't like it very much if I said I was takin off...we'll be married a year october 1st. But I'd be happy to drag him along for the ride...well a paid ride!

We sent two units out late last week. The first 1 1/2 days they were there, they played a lot of hurry up and wait. Since then though, they've been really busy. It sounds like it hasn't necessarily been a really high call volume but fairly long distance transfers at this point.